Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am taking gcse, and this is what i expect myself to get, just wondering is this any good or should i be trying harder? I want to go to a top 10 university, do you think they will be impressed or not?

maths - a
    english -b,b
    science - a,a
    geography - a
    It - a,a
    BS - a/b
    Electronics - a/b
    PE - c
    PS - b

6a 5b 1c

Thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarageMc)
    Hi i am taking gcse, and this is what i expect myself to get, just wondering is this any good or should i be trying harder? I want to go to a top 10 university, do you think they will be impressed or not?

maths - a
    english -b,b
    science - a,a
    geography - a
    It - a,a
    BS - a/b
    Electronics - a/b
    PE - c
    PS - b

6a 5b 1c

Thanks for any replies
    Yeah that is very good. What does ps stand for?

ReputationRep:

maths - a
    english -b,b
    science - a,a
    geography - a
    It - a,a
    BS - a/b
    Electronics - a/b
    PE - c
    PS - b

6a 5b 1c

Thanks for any replies
    They're a good set of GCSE's and though they may not be the straight As and A*s that many people seem to think are needed to get into uni...it's perfectly possible to get into a good uni with them.

Much of the decision making is made on your AS grades and A2 predictions, as well as the standard of your personal statement and your references....not to mention possible interviews. It will depend on which subject you're applying for as well...as if you were applying for something sports related, the C in PE might not be too good, whereas applying for a science based subject with As at GCSE would be good!

Good luck....hope this helps.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtyboy02)
    Yeah that is very good. What does ps stand for?
    These are mine for my GCSE's

Science- A, A, A

English _ A,A

Maths - A,A

History - A*

Ict - A,A

French - B

Statistics - B

R.E - A*

ReputationRep:
    well they are good, the C isnt bad. But effort is what counts as well cause you could be doin nuthin in 1 subject and gettin a B, wen u cud get A*

ReputationRep:
    mine are:

History - A

Geography - A*

Science - A*A*

French - A*

Food - A

IT - A*

Maths - A*

English - AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    mine are:

History - A

Geography - A*

Science - A*A*

French - A*

Food - A

IT - A*

Maths - A*

English - AA

shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    shocking.
    This thread makes me laugh. It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    hey losers (joke) stop trying to mock me, i feel quite offended with you posting your high grades deliberatly.

I am definetly going to take for a levels:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology

and 1 more subject that i havent decided yet any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    This thread shouldn't be to flaunt good grades... nor should the thread starter need everyone to make them feel good about their grades.
    Grades... work hard, get the best possible... then see what you can do with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    This thread shouldn't be to flaunt good grades... nor should the thread starter need everyone to make them feel good about their grades.
    Grades... work hard, get the best possible... then see what you can do with them.
    Its not that, just wondering if they are good enought to get into a good UNI.

ReputationRep:
    If we're going to be realistic, I think the unis you're looking at are used to mostly A*s, having said that, low GCSEs really are not a barrier if you excel at AS level. Also, they're just predictions for now, I was predicted pretty much the same and ended up with much better. The best advice has already been mentioned in this thread, do your best, and figure it out after.

ReputationRep:
    Its not that, just wondering if they are good enought to get into a good UNI.
    I think so.
    But grades aren't the be all and end all, esp. GCSE ones for uni.
    You're on a good track though- hopefully you'll do well at A-level.
    Best of luck for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    mine are:

History - A

Geography - A*

Science - A*A*

French - A*

Food - A

IT - A*

Maths - A*

English - AA
    Yeah good. Mine were (all passed):

Maths - A*
    English - A*A
    Science - A*A*
    German - A*
    Music - A*
    Technology - A*
    I.C.T - A*
    Geography - B - damn you geography!!!!!

Oh, well good enuff to get me into Oxford tho!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are pretty irrelevant. I got 4B's 4C's 1D 1E and I got an offer from York(a top 10 uni). Your GCSE grades are about 50x better than mine so ... go figure. If youre wanting to go to Oxbridge however, 1 or 2 A*'s wont hurt I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a maths degree at Uni of Birmingham. They didnt look at my gcse grades at all, just my a levels, and then i didnt get what they wanted at first.... i just had a good cv. Work hard, get the best you can, but dont forget sell yourself to uni's, do extra curricular stuff and they'll be more interested in you

ReputationRep:
    and one more query:
    Would oxbridge be less likely to take you on if you went to say a public school or a public 6th form?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people on here seem to think that getting B's is a failure. IT'S NOT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    A lot of people on here seem to think that getting B's is a failure. IT'S NOT!
    ive got 1/2 a b at rs

ReputationRep:
    Partly it depend what you want to study, as some subjects such as Law are very competetive and the top unis demand high grades while other subjects aren't so hard to get into and the same places.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.