The Student Room Group

:( Gang of huge guys assaulted me while I was at my uni welcome party....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by zaliack
I doubt sexual assault is treated as a minor crime by police. And she won't need a solicitor in court, that's what the crown prosecution service do, and they will do everything in their power to make court as comfortable as possible - if that means doing video links, they can do that.

I thought it was physical violence, apart from the groping, which would I agree not be classed as minor in at least some forces, but the story is still not as good as it should be. You sound like a guy talking about this, not a girl, with all due respect. Your faith in the lavishness of the CPS, whilst touching, is not reality. A lot of these cases are dealt with in a less than satisfactory way from the point of view of the victim, hence my suggestions. You seem to be trying to score points rather than give useful advice to OP.
Reply 41
This can happen anywhere, to anyone. In North America rape is now being classed as an "act of terrorism" I believe-meant to subdue/dominate people. It doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with how you dress etc (though I'm not saying it can't, either).

I'm so sorry you went through this. I would suggest talking to your campus counselor. Most campuses have someone in that capacity. They can really help you learn to live beyond this, and/or direct you to other resources. Also, I agree with continuing to live your life, but it doesn't hurt to be careful. Don't go places alone, down back alleys etc, after dark, for example. Stay on main streets/populated areas. If you have to go in unpopulated areas, consider going as a group and/or taking a cab. Does your campus have 'safewalk' or some such program (students that you can call to come walk you anywhere on campus after dark)?

I agree that unis tend to have very low tolerance to this. Fresher's week is no exception-unis get very bad reputations from acts like this. I would hope notices to other students are already going out, for their own safety, particularly since it occurred on campus. Since you made a statement, description of the offenders should also be going out. Criminal prosecution, especially if on CCTV, is definitely a possibility I'd think.

Don't let them scare you off-that is what they want. You're probably 'safer' on campus, with large numbers of students and staff. Don't let anyone make you think you deserve it. As already said, no means no. Talk to school counselors, victim's support, someone.

Good luck.
Reply 42
What a terrible experience victim support are the organisation to contact they can talk to you by phone or they can come and see you and will be able to explain what happens next, speak to the police for you, and can help you find a support group or what ever else you feel you need. If it goes to court they can be there for you they explain how court works etc.
They will be able to answer questions you have about solicitors etc. They will also be able to tell you how common this sort of thing is in your area as they will have local knowledge.
Youve been brave and good on you for reporting it, some don't then they think it's acceptable.
Get a personal alarm, perhaps do a self defence course will help you feel more confident. You don't have to be big to over power a really big guy!
Reply 43
Original post by zara55
I thought it was physical violence, apart from the groping, which would I agree not be classed as minor in at least some forces, but the story is still not as good as it should be. You sound like a guy talking about this, not a girl, with all due respect. Your faith in the lavishness of the CPS, whilst touching, is not reality. A lot of these cases are dealt with in a less than satisfactory way from the point of view of the victim, hence my suggestions. You seem to be trying to score points rather than give useful advice to OP.

OP said that all of it was caught on CCTV, so if the groping was seen on CCTV then that's instantly sexual assault - and considering it was violent as well, on indictment the sentence is likely to be in the range of 1-2 years, so it is no way minor. The CPS only deal with these cases unsatisfactory when there isn't a lot of evidence to support the victim, but going on the presumption that the CCTV is clear, they will do everything they can. The barristers on the CPS need to make her time as easy as possible, to avoid her withdrawing a statement.

I'm giving her advice in a realistic manner - she doesn't want to go cry her heart out to CAB just for them to say that they don't deal with this sort of thing. She should go to victim support, talk to friends etc, like you said. But she should leave all the investigation to the police and the CPS, it's just too much hassle for her to try it herself.
Reply 44
Original post by zaliack
OP said that all of it was caught on CCTV, so if the groping was seen on CCTV then that's instantly sexual assault - and considering it was violent as well, on indictment the sentence is likely to be in the range of 1-2 years, so it is no way minor. The CPS only deal with these cases unsatisfactory when there isn't a lot of evidence to support the victim, but going on the presumption that the CCTV is clear, they will do everything they can. The barristers on the CPS need to make her time as easy as possible, to avoid her withdrawing a statement.

I'm giving her advice in a realistic manner - she doesn't want to go cry her heart out to CAB just for them to say that they don't deal with this sort of thing. She should go to victim support, talk to friends etc, like you said. But she should leave all the investigation to the police and the CPS, it's just too much hassle for her to try it herself.

Right, I'm so sorry I suggested CAB as a useful place to get basic advice, since they are so crap at it. Thank you so much for your much-needed corrections.

Has it been established yet that there is good CCTV? Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?

A lot of cases even *with* CCTV get dropped for a range of reasons anyway as I'm sure you know.

Is there CCTV coverage of the actual incident itself? Or just of them entering/leaving, etc? We don't know that yet do we?

OP needs some help and advice. I've suggested Victims Support - of course there are the police as well, I took it as read that they will give her the right kind of assistance.
Original post by EffieFlowers
Why are people assuming that it's impossible for students to behave like that?

You can be a horrible piece of **** even if you have the intelligence to attend university. And a lot of the horrible bully types act even worse at uni because they feel all cocky due to their new found independence. Students can be just as horrible as anyone else.

I assumed because it was a group of people-if it was one guy then, yeah, ******* student

Totally agree with you that the new independence can cause some students to act in this way though :/
Reply 46
Original post by shiinkii
Big up to the guy who got punched in the jaw trying to save you.

yeah the guy deserves some hero sex at the very least
Original post by jonathanemptage
It's highly likely that these guys were not students. I would say they were probably some drunk guys (not that that exonerates them)
Bear in mind these guys were probably not local (I mean it would be pretty stupid to do that in your home town ).

I avoid going out on Friday and Saturday for this reason. Non-students/locals are responsible for almost every confrontation I ever see on a night out and most are completely unprovoked (like when a friend and I were assaulted in a nightclub before Christmas) and hence why I think non-students should be barred from union buildings in Leeds.

Anyone nervous from reading this thread should know that this is comparatively rare for students to do this sort of thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EffieFlowers
Why are people assuming that it's impossible for students to behave like that?

You can be a horrible piece of **** even if you have the intelligence to attend university. And a lot of the horrible bully types act even worse at uni because they feel all cocky due to their new found independence. Students can be just as horrible as anyone else.

Whilst yes, students also have the capacity, any experience on nights out will tell you students are far less likely to resort to violence. But yes the cocky "talk down to everyone" students are aplenty and damn annoying. I appreciate you trying to avoid tribalism and bring balance to the discussion but almost all assaults on students I have heard of, or seen, or read about are perpetrated by locals. I wish data were actually available though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Aramiss18
I avoid going out on Friday and Saturday for this reason. Non-students/locals are responsible for almost every confrontation I ever see on a night out and most are completely unprovoked (like when a friend and I were assaulted in a nightclub before Christmas) and hence why I think non-students should be barred from union buildings in Leeds.

Anyone nervous from reading this thread should know that this is comparatively rare for students to do this sort of thing.

Universities do tend to be quite open and easy to enter in a lot of cases - I've often seen odd-looking people, obviously not students and clearly the sort who look like they might want to steal something if they had a chance, wondering around our campus. Security is not very good on a lot of campus sites.
Original post by zara55
Universities do tend to be quite open and easy to enter in a lot of cases - I've often seen odd-looking people, obviously not students and clearly the sort who look like they might want to steal something if they had a chance, wondering around our campus. Security is not very good on a lot of campus sites.

I don't think they can actually bar non-students from entering even if they wanted to. And to be honest opening up a few libraries and IT rooms to the public would perhaps be a good thing and something I'd like to see happen. But, when it comes to the club nights at the Union, whilst their money is welcome their propensity to become aggressive is not and whilst it might seem slanderous and tribal the stereotype is, from my experience, rather accurate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
I'm sorry this happened to you. They'll all most probably get thrown out for this once they're caught.
Reply 52
I am very sorry to hear of your awful intro to campus life. What should have been an enjoyable start to the year has been tarnished by the actions of a gang of cowardly brutes. They don't deserve to be university students. Being a university student can involve some hard partying and occasional outrageous behaviour but certainly not gangs of male thugs who think it is okay to assault, intimidate and threaten a lone female. On the contrary, the term 'university student' usually implies at least a certain level of social intelligence and sensitivity - by that I mean an abhorrance towards cruel mysoginistic thuggery.

I hope these pitiful excuses for young men get booted out of the Uni and suffer for their inexcusable behaviour towards you, and that you make good friends and enjoy the rest of your time at uni. There are plenty of gangs around that think this sort of thing is okay but you do not usually expect to find them at University!

I hope you make a point of seeking advice from university official staff first thing on Monday morning. There should be no shortage of trained advisers there to help in situations like this - councillors etc. Don't blame yourself! Speak to official people and get it on record. What happened is not fair on you and it needs to be resolved in your mind properly otherwise you will carry too much of a psychological burden - and why? for those w**kers? Best of luck and keep your chin up.
Reply 53
Hey my name is Benjamin Simpson, I'm a student at UWE and I just joined the student room to comment on this - I'm the guy who got punched in the jaw - sorry I couldn't do more than distract them, but I was a very, very drunk. I went to the hospital and it turns out he broke my jaw. So my dad's a police officer and happened to be in town and he said that because of the severity of my injuries the guy could get charged with GBH. Anyway today I called the police and a really good chat with a pair of really nice cops - myself and a fellow witness made statments - my statment is particularly long and detailed. I also told the police about the uni security who took statments from us and about how there may be CCTV and they told me they'd get right on it and keep me informed. Well I hope your feeling better, it must have been really scary for you but you shouldn't worry about they're threats, if these guys have a thimble of common sense they'll be keeping a very low profile. But yeah I'd love to hear from you because between the alcohol and bump on the head I got when I hit the deck my memory is still a little hazy. Feel better! Ben x
(edited 11 years ago)
never happened, 2/10.
Reply 55
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, absolutely disgraceful. And the fact that someone asked whether you were dressed provocatively, as if that gives them a reason to do what they did! What these guys did is absolutely disgusting, how can some people try to give some reason to what they did by asking you these types of questions.
Original post by LiquidBen
Hey my name is Benjamin Simpson, I'm a student at UWE and I just joined the student room to comment on this - I'm the guy who got punched in the jaw - sorry I couldn't do more than distract them, but I was a very, very drunk. I went to the hospital and it turns out he broke my jaw. So my dad's a police officer and happened to be in town and he said that because of the severity of my injuries the guy could get charged with GBH. Anyway today I called the police and a really good chat with a pair of really nice cops - myself and a fellow witness made statments - my statment is particularly long and detailed. I also told the police about the uni security who took statments from us and about how there may be CCTV and they told me they'd get right on it and keep me informed. Well I hope your feeling better, it must have been really scary for you but you shouldn't worry about they're threats, if these guys have a thimble of common sense they'll be keeping a very low profile. But yeah I'd love to hear from you because between the alcohol and bump on the head I got when I hit the deck my memory is still a little hazy. Feel better! Ben x

Props to you! Well done for being the good guy and trying to do something (even if you were too drunk to succeed :tongue:). Hope you both get this all sorted :smile:
I'm appalled at the comment about dressing provocatively. What if she was dressed 'provocatively'? Do you want to OP to start thinking that this is somehow her fault when it clearly isn't? It's a very dangerous think to say.

OP I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope they get what's coming to them.
Reply 58
Asking if she dressed provocatively is ridiculous, it's like justifying a violent mugging if the guy was wearing a suit!.

As for those thugs, I can't see them being students. If they had been students they wouldn't have been stupid enough to cause trouble on their own campus. They were most likely local chavs with a chip on their shoulder because they weren't intelligent enough to pass their GCSE's.

I hope those thugs get whats coming to them. Big kudos to the guy who intervened :smile:
OP what you went through has shocked and horrified me. How could anyone do this to a woman? There's some sick people in the world. Chances are CCTV won't only get them kicked out of uni, but if it comes to court it would probably be enough to get them a sentence of some sort so that it prevents them reoffending. I suggest for the next couple of weeks, having company when you go anywhere at night - probably best if it was female - and also it would probably be a good idea to nip the phobia this caused you to get, in the bud by getting some counselling so it doesn't stop you enjoying the rest of your university life.

Take care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending