Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Helloo, i'm planning on doing a joint honours french and history, and have decided against exeter, cardiff and manchester for various reason, so now need to decide between birmingham and notts, i've visited both and loved them both so i'm so undecided! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanx x x x

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well I had an offer from Birmingham for French and Spanish and German which I declined but I live quite near to Birmingham and I always going shopping there and it's really nice. The university is also really nice and has a good reputation. However, I don't know much about the student housing. I've also been to Nottingham on a law course but I didn't really like it much. Perhaps I was a bit worried about the safety issue and I did get lost at about 1.30am which was scary! I didn't think the university was very nice and it seemed ages away from the main centre. What I've said probably doesn't help much! Are there any differences between the courses? I would have thought Exeter would be best for reputation for languages/History but I'm not sure between Birmingham/Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy22)
    Helloo, i'm planning on doing a joint honours french and history, and have decided against exeter, cardiff and manchester for various reason, so now need to decide between birmingham and notts, i've visited both and loved them both so i'm so undecided! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanx x x x
    I've been to Nottingham and I really liked it, as did my friend who was applying for languages, when I went on the open day. Nottingham has a better reputation for History I'm told, and it's not too shabby for French. It is also generally thought of as a better overall uni as birmingham.
    I've been to both actually, and whilst Birmingham is nice, I just prefer Nottingham. At the end of the day, I don't know what you are looking for, so all I can give is my own opinion

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham! Nottingham! Nottingham! Okay, I haven't actually been to Birmingham uni, but I'm at Nottingham and it is fantastic! It is very very good for Languages and I am in love with the campus! It's not that far away from the city centre at all and the transport is good anyway. Nottingham is one of the best unis in the country and if you get a place there, definitely take it! Yes, people do have different experiences, but mine has been very very good!

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I had offers from nottingham and birmingham but in the end i choose Birmingham. I really think it should be down to what u tihnk bout each uni but for me Im doing modern language degree where i HAVE to do 3 languages and the choice at Birmingham is much larger. However this doesnt apply for you with ur degree. I also didnt want to go catered and most accomodation at notts is catered ( i tihnk every hall on campus is) The deaprtment at notts did seem very friendly and the campus and the Park building where languages are taught were very nice!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is amazing! I study languages there and can honestly say I have never been happier in my life! The range of subjects to choose from for History is apparently very broad, however be aware the French department, as always, is enormous! This does have its upsides...very well organised, loads of modules to choose from..but still a little impersonal. But you WILL find that everywhere! As for halls on campus being catered...I loved living in halls...it was like having a little family...and I miss them dearly, only after 5 days or so of being without them!

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of it Caz? I'm hopefully off there to do French, German and Spanish ab-initio, then planning to swap Spanish for Dutch after a year. Got a place on Broadgate

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham's a bit of a depressing place...I didn't like it the one time I went there...it lacks in character because everything's so new and artificial.. I couldn't comment on nottingham really...i'd say go for nottingham seeing as my french teacher in year 9 and 10 went to birmingham (french + german) and could hardly speak french ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.