The Student Room Group

OxBridge ( like usual )

I got A,B,B,C in my AS exams in maths , further maths , chemistry and physics. I'm getting one of my exams remarked to change one of the B's too a A. Realistically, I think my predicted grades will be A*,A,A but with my poor AS's is there a point in applying to Oxbridge
Reply 1
Original post by mustafe.mohamed.mm
I got A,B,B,C in my AS exams in maths , further maths , chemistry and physics. I'm getting one of my exams remarked to change one of the B's too a A. Realistically, I think my predicted grades will be A*,A,A but with my poor AS's is there a point in applying to Oxbridge

It's difficult to say much that's useful without knowing that subject you'd like to read..but, inferring from your AS's that you're probably interested in the sciences:

Successful Cambridge science applicants tend to have a very high AS UMS average of around 90%.

Oxford states that it looks more closely at the proportion of A*s compared to total GCSEs than AS results.
Original post by Mellete
It's difficult to say much that's useful without knowing that subject you'd like to read..but, inferring from your AS's that you're probably interested in the sciences:

Successful Cambridge science applicants tend to have a very high AS UMS average of around 90%.

Oxford states that it looks more closely at the proportion of A*s compared to total GCSEs than AS results.

The course that i'm planning to apply for is chemical engineering, I would like to have applied to oxford but due to me not carrying on physics my only option is to pick cambridge chem eng via natural science.
Thats why i was wondering if their is a point applying

You've ruled out Oxford by not taking Physics, as it's compulsory, so you're asking about your chances to Cambridge, right?

Assuming there are no exceptional circumstances, you're not from a bad school, you're not from a deprived background etc. then you don't have a chance.

Original post by Mellete

"the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90%. The average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95%"
Assuming exactly mid-grade for each of your subjects, you have an average of 76%. You probably wouldn't even be interviewed, to be frank.

People will tell you "ohh but you can have a go, you know? :smile:" and probably get repped for it whilst I get negged, but it's just rubbish advice. Don't waste an option, choose a more realistic university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

For Cambridge AS UMS marks are the key factor, and they'd be looking at all your subjects. Realistically, you'd only ever get away with 1 B in a non-key subject. As it stands you have 2Bs and a C in key subjects, you don't really have much chance.

It's debatable if they'd interview you - they do interview 90% of applicants, but you may fall outside the criteria to receive an interview.

There is one caveat to this - If you have strong extenuating circumstances (illness or other interruption to your studies, or from a disadvantaged background) which contributed to your poor grades then you might have a shot.

For Oxford GCSE A* percentage and subject aptitude tests are the important factors, so if your GCSEs are strong and you do well on that test then you could still get in. This said, the aptitude tests are tougher than AS, so I wouldn't hedge my bets on you being able to do substantially better than that.

You would also, as mentioned, have to keep taking physics.
Original post by Carrotcake18
thumbs up for your answer :tongue:

haha cheers :smile:
Thanks Guys,
Often people will just tell you what you want to hear but personally I think it is better to just give it to me straight
but at the same time I feel that if i can just get over the hurdle of getting an offer I could acquire an A*,A,A
If you really feel you could get those grades then apply next year. Spend all of this year on your exams. Put a picture of Cambridge above your desk if it helps. Then next year you'll be applying with actual grades.
Reply 9
but at the same time I feel that if i can just get over the hurdle of getting an offer I could acquire an A*,A,A

The A*AA offer is a bit of a formality to be perfectly honest, which is why so many offer-holders who don't meet it get let in anyway (compared to other unis anyway), and why they reject so many applicants who go on to get A*AA or higher.

The real challenge is getting an offer in the first place, and this year you won't get an offer, most likely not even an interview, with those AS grades.

If you did get A*AA and re-applied next year you might stand more of a chance, but you would equally have to find something useful to do on your year out. (Oxbridge get concerned with science students going rusty, especially their maths, if they take a year out. And for good reason)

I still think it'd be a slim chance you'd be holding out for - you wouldn't be getting very high As after a B at AS.
The B's at AS are only because I was being lazy , I know I could get an A* in maths, very likely an A* in further maths and a A in chem. The decision I've come to is that their are perfectly good universities outside of Oxford and Cambridge and I feel that I should just apply to them rather than take a whole year out to go to a place I was just sort of thinking about.
What Polymath said. Unfortunately I don't think you stand a chance at either unis.
After reading through the thread, if you still want to do chemical engineering then I probably wouldn't aply to Oxbridge this year.

You don't have the requirements for Oxford, and Cambridge will just reject you (probably without an interview).

Apply this year to other Universities, and try very hard in your A2 and redo some of your AS modules.

If you come out with much better A level results than predicted, then you could take a gap year and re-apply to Oxbridge and other Unis too, but you'll only probably do this if you don't get any offers from good Unis. As is the case with most of these threads, it all depends on how much work you put in this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
As long as there are no extenuating circumstances I will not be taking a gap year, I plan to just apply to an assortment of other unis like birmingham, bath , manchester and the like. If and this is a big if I have a free space out of my 5 uni choices I will still apply for Cambridge
just so I don't regret it later.
Apart from that , thank you everyone for your help
Reply 14
As long as there are no extenuating circumstances I will not be taking a gap year, I plan to just apply to an assortment of other unis like birmingham, bath , manchester and the like. If and this is a big if I have a free space out of my 5 uni choices I will still apply for Cambridge
just so I don't regret it later.
Apart from that , thank you everyone for your help

I really wouldn't waste the space on Cambridge.

However I would point out that after you get your results you can still withdraw and re-apply next year if they are dramatically higher and you fancy your chances at better universities. (Oxbridge don't offer any spaces through Adjustment)
The truth is I would love to not apply to Cambridge, but not applying would always leave me thinking what if. So unless something changes in the next week Cambridge is a definete

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending