How do u lengthen the life span of clutch? Watch

rhythm_bandit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
How do u lengthen the life span of a clutch?
I was told putting the gear in neutral when waiting at traffic lights help.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Being gentle when applying/releasing it via the pedal surely?
stevoboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Putting it in neutral at the lights will save a bit of wear on the release bearing, but it isnt really that significant. Drag racing style starts and using the clutch to hold the car on a hill instead of using the handbrake are probably the most damaging things for the clutch. The more gentle you are letting it out when pulling away and changing gear the better.
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who sits at the traffic lights in gear......???
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
Me.
davemarkey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
me too :p:
Ryan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why?
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
Why?
Why not? Its one less thing to do when the lights turn green.
rhythm_bandit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
so they can get a quick start.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont see the point in putting it into neutral because the lights never stay on red long enough to make it worth while. I just sit there with my clutch down and foot brake on and them in ready to go as soon as the light goes green.
Navajo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
Me.
:ditto: sometimes
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
I dont see the point in putting it into neutral because the lights never stay on red long enough to make it worth while. I just sit there with my clutch down and foot brake on and them in ready to go as soon as the light goes green.
Hope you use your handbrake, especially in the evening and in the dark, nothing worse than having 3 bright brake lights in your face whilst the guy infront can't use his handbrake!

Normal process for waiting at traffic lights is to be ready, i.e. in 1st, clutch down, handbrake on or footbrake if only a very short time is expected.
l1ncs
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In the mean time dazzling the person behind with your brake lights
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by l1ncs)
In the mean time dazzling the person behind with your brake lights
In the day you don't get dazzled and at night i will put the hand brake on if there is someone behind me.
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've started balancing it in first more and more since i have passed, sometimes i jsut can't be arsed to use the handbreak, but i know its not good practice!
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Put butter on it.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
Me three!

If its dark i leave my foot on the brake lights so that people know i am stopped. In fact i just leave my foot on the footbrake its easier. If its flat i'll just keep my foot depressed on the clutch and take my foot of the brake, no need to have handbrake/brakes on, on a flat road! Your not going to go anywhere, takes more than a bit of wind to get over a tonnes worth of metal moving!

Its just easier having your car already in gear, just bring your foot up and your away, and that couple of seconds without fannying around with putting the car in gear, taking the handbrake of means some lucky person behind you gets through the traffic lights that wouldn't have done otherwise. I am nice like that!

As for lengthing the life span of the clutch, don't slip the clutch and you'll be fine. Of course i am being hypocritical as i do it all the time, i know it is bad for it but i am not going to have the car that long for it to affect me!

Graham
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Try to stay off of the clutch as much as possible. When changing gears, try and do it rather quickly as opposed to slow changes where you've got the clutch pedal half in/half out. Either have it fully pressed, or your foot completely off of it.

You're probably supposed to have it in gear at stoplights, but I usually can't be bothered. Especially if someone else is in front. You can get it into gear and ready to go before the person in front moves off.
Ryan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It takes a split second to put it into gear? I don't understand your argument..?
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
It takes a split second to put it into gear? I don't understand your argument..?
You should have been taught to do it for your driving test, it's up to you whether you carry on doing so. Being 'ready' at the traffic lights includes being in gear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads