AS Edexcel History - Unification of Italy Watch

AWJC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello. I'm just asking for a bit of advice really. I have possibly the worst teacher for History and there are only two of us in the class, and all he seems to do is talk and talk and talk. So I'm hardly learning anything. He's also given us a textbook on the Italian Unification by OCR (instead of edexcel), stating there is not one for Edexcel - and I'm a bit worried about using it in case of differences in the specs. So which, if any, textbooks should I be using/buying for this course? Also, any advice from people who are doing/have done this course would be great. Thank you!
justanotherindigo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AWJC)
Hello. I'm just asking for a bit of advice really. I have possibly the worst teacher for History and there are only two of us in the class, and all he seems to do is talk and talk and talk. So I'm hardly learning anything. He's also given us a textbook on the Italian Unification by OCR (instead of edexcel), stating there is not one for Edexcel - and I'm a bit worried about using it in case of differences in the specs. So which, if any, textbooks should I be using/buying for this course? Also, any advice from people who are doing/have done this course would be great. Thank you!
I do Italian unification and I bought Access To History textbook, exactly meets the requirements of Edexcel I would recommend it immensely! How are you finding the course so far?
AWJC
Rep:
?
(Original post by justanotherindigo)
I do Italian unification and I bought Access To History textbook, exactly meets the requirements of Edexcel I would recommend it immensely! How are you finding the course so far?
Thank you, yes I did use the Access to History textbook in the end. I actually sat the exam in January! The course was terrific, I really enjoyed it. Are you doing the German unification too? That was my favourite of the two, I found it incredibly interesting. If you need any revision notes, historiography, mind maps, essay plans etc, I have loads. (Although I can't vouch for their usefulness until I get my results back, but they are certainly quite thorough)

Before I sat the exam I read every book I could find on the unification of Italy and Germany (although it's not compulsory in order to get top grades, just if you're interested) - I especially recommend Denis M Smith's books on Mazzini (although we had a question on him this January, so I'm not sure he'll come up in June), Cavour and Garibaldi - his ideas are incredibly influential. Also, if you're doing the German unification try 'The Course of German History' by A.J.P. Taylor and also 'Aspects of European History' by TA Morris. Both have a wealth of Bismarck quotes that are quite superb and are great to start or conclude any essay with.

If you need any extra help or the aforementioned notes, let me know. I'm doing the Poverty and Public Health source-based unit now which is certainly not as interesting!
justanotherindigo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AWJC)
Thank you, yes I did use the Access to History textbook in the end. I actually sat the exam in January! The course was terrific, I really enjoyed it. Are you doing the German unification too? That was my favourite of the two, I found it incredibly interesting. If you need any revision notes, historiography, mind maps, essay plans etc, I have loads. (Although I can't vouch for their usefulness until I get my results back, but they are certainly quite thorough)

Before I sat the exam I read every book I could find on the unification of Italy and Germany (although it's not compulsory in order to get top grades, just if you're interested) - I especially recommend Denis M Smith's books on Mazzini (although we had a question on him this January, so I'm not sure he'll come up in June), Cavour and Garibaldi - his ideas are incredibly influential. Also, if you're doing the German unification try 'The Course of German History' by A.J.P. Taylor and also 'Aspects of European History' by TA Morris. Both have a wealth of Bismarck quotes that are quite superb and are great to start or conclude any essay with.

If you need any extra help or the aforementioned notes, let me know. I'm doing the Poverty and Public Health source-based unit now which is certainly not as interesting!
Oh wow, I could actually do with some guidance and help since I'm teaching myself history and yes I agree it is terrific and quite complex too

and yes, I'm doing Germany too And for unit 2 I do Women's suffrage which I did back at GCSE but in more depth

I really appreciate your offer for helping me out, thank you so so much!
AWJC
Rep:
?
Oh wow, I could actually do with some guidance and help since I'm teaching myself history and yes I agree it is terrific and quite complex too

and yes, I'm doing Germany too And for unit 2 I do Women's suffrage which I did back at GCSE but in more depth

I really appreciate your offer for helping me out, thank you so so much!
Of course, no worries. I'm glad to help. Once you know how the exam works and what they are after, you're practically there - it just requires a lot of learning! Saying that, the more I think about it, the worse my exam seemed to go. Our Italy question was along the lines of "To what extent what was Italy shaped by the actions of Garibaldi between 1860-70?". I answered that it was Garibaldi, but also Napoleon III and the biggest factor in shaping Italy was Cavour's legacy! In retrospect, I'm not sure that was the wisest decision! Our Germany question was much easier however. I'm amazed you're teaching yourself, for history too which I imagine is quite hard to self-teach.

That's good to hear. Studying Germany really complements the Italy unit - the wars and meetings seem to overlap and are predominantly entwined together, and Bismarck is a real character. "Laws are like sausages" he once said, "it's better not to see them being made", or something along those lines. (That's according to my history teacher, anyway!)

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them - and if you're happy to PM me your email I can send you all my resources.

A few tips for now which you're probably already aware of - examiner reports are key for the exam, so look through all of them if you haven't already. They are on the Edexcel website. They also include some neat exemplar responses, some are great to gain material from and you can really get a feel of the basic structure and arguments (never sit on the fence - although you are probably aware of this already, and multiple factor and a judgement in conclusion are not great - instead, contrast and compare factors and their relative importance throughout) the examiners like to see.

Historiography is great to put in too, although again I'm sure you know this already. I probably saturated my answers a bit too much in the exam with it, however, which I think can be rather detrimental - however it does show higher level thinking and wider understanding, which puts you in good stead I'm sure. Bismarck and Cavour are surrounded by traditionalist/revisionist debates which are really interesting and well worth checking out, and again, inclusion into your essay looks great.

For instance, for the Garibaldi question I argued that Garibaldi was significant in uniting the south, then counter-argued it by delving into a traditionalist/revisionist debate with my opinion about whether Cavour had a wider part to play in GB's conquests, i.e. it has been propagated extensively that Cavour, at least directly, worked antagonistically to Garibaldi's expeditions - and thus, Garibaldi can be seen as a significant factor. On the other hand, it was Cavour's rapid developments of Piedmont and pragmatic diplomacy that ensured Piedmont was the "buffer state" for unification, and the territorial advances already gained by Piedmont acted as a precedent for GB's expeditions and their popular support. Therefore, Cavour indirectly facilitated Garibaldi's expeditions and thus the legacy of this "cross between Sir Robert Peel and Machiavelli" (Gattina), should be considered more significant in shaping the outcome between the specified period, etc.
justanotherindigo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AWJC)
Of course, no worries. I'm glad to help. Once you know how the exam works and what they are after, you're practically there - it just requires a lot of learning! Saying that, the more I think about it, the worse my exam seemed to go. Our Italy question was along the lines of "To what extent what was Italy shaped by the actions of Garibaldi between 1860-70?". I answered that it was Garibaldi, but also Napoleon III and the biggest factor in shaping Italy was Cavour's legacy! In retrospect, I'm not sure that was the wisest decision! Our Germany question was much easier however. I'm amazed you're teaching yourself, for history too which I imagine is quite hard to self-teach.

That's good to hear. Studying Germany really complements the Italy unit - the wars and meetings seem to overlap and are predominantly entwined together, and Bismarck is a real character. "Laws are like sausages" he once said, "it's better not to see them being made", or something along those lines. (That's according to my history teacher, anyway!)

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them - and if you're happy to PM me your email I can send you all my resources.

A few tips for now which you're probably already aware of - examiner reports are key for the exam, so look through all of them if you haven't already. They are on the Edexcel website. They also include some neat exemplar responses, some are great to gain material from and you can really get a feel of the basic structure and arguments (never sit on the fence - although you are probably aware of this already, and multiple factor and a judgement in conclusion are not great - instead, contrast and compare factors and their relative importance throughout) the examiners like to see.

Historiography is great to put in too, although again I'm sure you know this already. I probably saturated my answers a bit too much in the exam with it, however, which I think can be rather detrimental - however it does show higher level thinking and wider understanding, which puts you in good stead I'm sure. Bismarck and Cavour are surrounded by traditionalist/revisionist debates which are really interesting and well worth checking out, and again, inclusion into your essay looks great.

For instance, for the Garibaldi question I argued that Garibaldi was significant in uniting the south, then counter-argued it by delving into a traditionalist/revisionist debate with my opinion about whether Cavour had a wider part to play in GB's conquests, i.e. it has been propagated extensively that Cavour, at least directly, worked antagonistically to Garibaldi's expeditions - and thus, Garibaldi can be seen as a significant factor. On the other hand, it was Cavour's rapid developments of Piedmont and pragmatic diplomacy that ensured Piedmont was the "buffer state" for unification, and the territorial advances already gained by Piedmont acted as a precedent for GB's expeditions and their popular support. Therefore, Cavour indirectly facilitated Garibaldi's expeditions and thus the legacy of this "cross between Sir Robert Peel and Machiavelli" (Gattina), should be considered more significant in shaping the outcome between the specified period, etc.
Thank you! I'm sure that you have done amazingly well, especially with the points that you have mentioned! And yes, my self teaching history is the product of a long 4 month protest I made, so I literally just started My sf don't do history, so after results day I told them that I wanted to do history and they said no, yet they allowed another girl to do it. So yeah I protested saying that it wasn't fair and they finally listened to what I said in Jan this year and now I'm in this sticky position :s

I'm on track right now, I've finished Cavour and now moving on to Garibaldi and it's so complex. All these peace conferences, wars, revolutions it's amazing! But at times it does do my head in. Also, as you may have guessed, I do it alongside unit 2 so I won't be starting Germany till next month which is quite a worrying thought.

Yep, I'll PM you my e-mail no worries

Your advice really helps! Thanks for it, and would you mind helping me with the essay technique?
rubsss123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AWJC)

Hello, I know this is very late as the unit 1 exam is tomorrow but would it be possible for you to upload/email me your notes if you have any time? It's just so much to learn and if you have summarised notes that'd be amazing!!

dav6693
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
where do you find the examiners reports for the unification of italy and germany?
justanotherindigo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AWJC)
x
Hey,

I just wanted to say that I'm absolutely thankful for the notes you sent me. I managed to get an A overall in History!! I'm absolutely delighted, particularly with the fact that I self taught without any guidance from teachers etc. and I don't think that I would have done as great as I did if it wasn't for the notes. I got 90 in unit 1 and 86 in unit 2 I hope that you've done well too, although you probably have!

Thanks once again!
wassupitstillie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey everyone!

I am doing the Italian Unification part of the edexcel course, but not Germany like a lot of you.. I am really struggling with organizing everything into sections for revision and the whole unit confuses me because it's so long.. and the problem with this course is that there isn't a proper revision book like CGP which you can rely on to condense everything! (CGP books were a god send for me during GCSE!) anyway, I was wondering if any of you still had the revision notes that I could possibly get hold of? I feel a bit cheeky asking but i really am desperate as I have my history mock exam next week and i am currently clueless

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me!
cate61
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could you send me any revision notes you have for Italian Unification and German Unification please. Our teachers are abysmal and I'm very worried about the coming mock exam, without even thinking about the proper one in May. If you could help me that would be excellent and I would really be grateful as I'm starting to really worry!
m.e.b
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I just wanted to say that I'm absolutely thankful for the notes you sent me. I managed to get an A overall in History!! I'm absolutely delighted, particularly with the fact that I self taught without any guidance from teachers etc. and I don't think that I would have done as great as I did if it wasn't for the notes. I got 90 in unit 1 and 86 in unit 2 I hope that you've done well too, although you probably have!

Thanks once again!

Hello! Could you please send me any revision notes you have/ were sent on German/ Italian unificaion. I am really struggling with my revision and need a helping hand.

Thank you very very much!
wassupitstillie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by m.e.b)
Hello! Could you please send me any revision notes you have/ were sent on German/ Italian unificaion. I am really struggling with my revision and need a helping hand.

pm me your email and I'll forward them to you x
huzy123786
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi im also doing unification of Italy and Germany I am finding Italy and Germany quite hard and I am just very very confused, please if you don't mind can you also send me your history notes for Italy and Germany I will be very grateful to you, many thanks
lightningdoritos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey people, any predictions for this years questions?
cpl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys could I please get any notes that you have on unification of Italy and Germany my exam is in 3 weeks, it's a retake and any notes would be much appreciated,thank you 😆☺☺☺☺☺
cpl_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by m.e.b)

Could I please be sent some aswell, thank you very much for readong rhis any help would be so appreciated xx
Zaranessaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wassupitstillie)
Could I also, doing my history retake, and I haven't done history since last year, so I'm floundering a little?
pxppy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wassupitstillie)
Is it possible I could get these too? Struggling to remember key dates and actions!!
mackenziepickup
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any predictions? I feel that maybe the revolutions will come up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads