Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hello i have applied to do this course at manchester met uni, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how difficult the course will be and what kind of work i have to put in as i really just wanna party most of the time?

also what is computer science all about how come u can get in with 160pts here and most other uni will require 260+ pts?

pls pm or reply cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadlad)
    hello i have applied to do this course at manchester met uni, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how difficult the course will be and what kind of work i have to put in as i really just wanna party most of the time?

also what is computer science all about how come u can get in with 160pts here and most other uni will require 260+ pts?

pls pm or reply cheers
    if you want to party most of the time, i dont think computer science is good for you. I know a few friends who does it and they are very academically capable but they have really struggled.

ReputationRep:
    ok ok and what about the secon dbit the tariff pts how did they work that out?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I agree. I fyou can't keep up with the work you'll get depserately behind. I know this first hand, but thankfully have almost caught up.

Take something like philosophy, English or media studies. They all have background reading, but with around 5 hours of lectures/week you should find it easy to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    People like you really annoy me, trust me there is no place for you in the University of Manchester, unless of course its Manchester Met.

Computer science is about programming, logic, maths.

Any computer science degree requriring 160 points would be not worth much, my course is 220 points and its not considered as good as computer science.

If you just want to party then go traveling or somthing, many people have to get them selves into stupid amount of debt just for people like you to party.

(Original post by nadlad)

pls pm or reply cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)
    Yup, I agree. I fyou can't keep up with the work you'll get depserately behind. I know this first hand, but thankfully have almost caught up.

Take something like philosophy, English or media studies. They all have background reading, but with around 5 hours of lectures/week you should find it easy to fit in.
    Yep exactly, I am doing Multimedia and Internet Technology and that requries so much work at home. Computer related course require a lot of effort and are not suitable for clowns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yep exactly, I am doing Multimedia and Internet Technology and that requries so much work at home. Computer related course require a lot of effort and are not suitable for clowns.
    you need to be logical too, something that you cant study for. I know many very academic people who really struggle computing programming etc

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    People like you really annoy me, trust me there is no place for you in the University of Manchester, unless of course its Manchester Met.
    I think the thread starter was interested in the Met!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I think the thread starter was interested in the Met!!!
    hehe yes that thought did go through my mind. The Met does tend to have a reputation of being more about partying than studying.

The Wolf - Yes you do need to be logical but you can learn it to a cetain degee, i.e when I first started programming my code was all over the place, I took so many short cuts, cheated on things, now I use a much more modular approach to it which makes my programs run much faster, easier to debug and more stable.

I think it depends on what level of programming you do, but logic is very important. I tend to be a bit slow at logic, however I do feel I am quite logical and this is getting better. There are people I know that are not logical at all and really struggle with basic stuff like making a simple Java applet to convert currency.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.