The Student Room Group

Is Biology a respected degree?

I'll be applying for Biology degrees this year and Ideally I want to go to Imperial. I've just read a thread where some people called Biology 'laughably easy' and 'hardly science'. Is Biology a respected degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The people who say biology is laughably easy are just physics students
Reply 2
physics_cat.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Why don't you ask some of those people how transcription occurs in eukaryotes? That'll give your answer :wink:
Reply 4

And:

"Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford

I kid of course. :wink:
Reply 5
haha, I just saw that thread too! I want to apply for biology too, and everyone I've spoke to including teachers and doctors have told me that it is a really good degree to have. As long as you are passionate about the subject and make the most of it as well as all the other opportunities at uni, you'll be fine!:smile:
Original post by Jodie_668
haha, I just saw that thread too! I want to apply for biology too, and everyone I've spoke to including teachers and doctors have told me that it is a really good degree to have. As long as you are passionate about the subject and make the most of it as well as all the other opportunities at uni, you'll be fine!:smile:

Why would you ask your doctors? :lol:
Original post by Alex_Jones
The people who say biology is laughably easy are just physics students

I find Biology laughably easy at A Level and I am not a Physics student. I am not arrogant enough to suppose that a Biology degree is easy though.
Reply 8
I'm an a-level student myself, and have just completed Biology a2. My friends take maths, chemistry and physics, and laugh at biology for the same reasons. I think that because it is more an observational and life science as opposed to a physical science like chem or physics, people see it as 'easy'. It is certainly not the case, perhaps the exams are a bit different?. Trust me, if you can achieve the grades to study biology at Imperial, or at any university for that matter, then you should feel smart. I found biology a-level so hard, and have huge respect for people who study it at university.
Btw, if anyone says that it is easy, ask them to sit the exams with you, and then see if they still stand by their comments. That' what I did with my friend who did maths, chem and physics. He got a D in biology exam, and A's in all the other subjects. Easy? I think not :P
Reply 9
Original post by member591354
I find Biology laughably easy at A Level and I am not a Physics student. I am not arrogant enough to suppose that a Biology degree is easy though.

Really? I find Biology the hardest out of the sciences. There is just too much to remember.
Reply 10
Original post by NutterFrutter
Why would you ask your doctors? :lol:

I didn't, she asked me what I wanted to do when I left college!
It is...amongst Biologists.
Reply 12
Original post by forest3261
I'm an a-level student myself, and have just completed Biology a2. My friends take maths, chemistry and physics, and laugh at biology for the same reasons. I think that because it is more an observational and life science as opposed to a physical science like chem or physics, people see it as 'easy'. It is certainly not the case, perhaps the exams are a bit different?. Trust me, if you can achieve the grades to study biology at Imperial, or at any university for that matter, then you should feel smart. I found biology a-level so hard, and have huge respect for people who study it at university.
Btw, if anyone says that it is easy, ask them to sit the exams with you, and then see if they still stand by their comments. That' what I did with my friend who did maths, chem and physics. He got a D in biology exam, and A's in all the other subjects. Easy? I think not :P
I'm an aspiring mathematician. I do maths, further maths and Physics so maybe my opinion means something xD. Personally when people say that especially physicist it's arrogance, physicist think they are Gods. But in truth they are just arrogant and second rate mathematicians. Anyway biology is a hard subjectly I personally would fail it. It depends on the person. It is respectable and a hard subject because you have to learn so many processes and words etc. whilst physics at least at a level is purely learning formulas. No good physicist is good at biology according to my class anyway. Do biology because you are passionate about it, ignore the haters.
It's no mickey mouse subject. It might not have the mathematical rigour of other disciplines but it's clearly a valid and important branch of science.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
It depends on what you're good at. I would argue that a lot of people can do GCSE and A-level biology, but not so many can do well at degree level and beyond :holmes:

But as with any subject - it's all down to the individual
Reply 15
Original post by Blue_Point
I'll be applying for Biology degrees this year and Ideally I want to go to Imperial. I've just read a thread where some people called Biology 'laughably easy' and 'hardly science'. Is Biology a respected degree?

Biology at Imperial easy? Hell no. I haven't done the degree per se but I doubt a science degree or infact any degree at Imperial would be "easy".

And if you got at least 2:1 then that's kudos and even more so if it were a first from Imperial. Just focus on studying what you are passionate about rather than what some silly troll on TSR says.
Yes
Its definitely not easy and it is very interesting; personally I'm mostly interested in the neuroscience branch of it.
Of course it's respected. :facepalm:
Original post by Blue_Point

Nope.

Biology at Imperial? I'd take a Film Studies graduate for my GSK vacancy any day

Quick Reply

Latest