Any advice on selling a real skeleton?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
RennieLaBeaux
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have a complete skeleton for sale but I'm not really sure about the best way to go about it.
It was used during the 70's as a study aid by a soon to be retired doctor.

I am researching on his behalf how to sell it, any suggestions welcome.
winning11
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
wonder how much it's worth, try selling it to a university or something if ebay fails
RetiredAccount89
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
real skeleton = real tissue = sale must be authorised by Human Tissue Authority
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Probably best to approach a university medical department and ask about the protocols. A local school may want it.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Ebay, always Ebay you can hock what ever crap you like on there and someone will buy it
RennieLaBeaux
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've already looked at ebay.co.uk and selling humans skeletons is prohibited.
Jed_
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Doesn't having a real skeleton creep you out at all?
Mark85
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
A ****ing skellington?

Sounds a bit moody to me...

I'd try knocking it out round the pubs.
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
If it's real human tissue it's covered by law. Either talk to an anatomy department or just don't sell it.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Yup. Whilst the skeleton will have been legitimately acquired under the laws of the time, under current legislation you cannot "own" human remains, you can only have custody of them. You therefore cannot legally sell the skeleton unless you get some kind of legal exemption (which in all probability, doesn't exist). You might be able to donate it somewhere, but you should check your legal position before offering it.
Coolknight
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
The relevant Human Tissue Authority policy is given here:

http://www.hta.gov.uk/legislationpol...sandtissue.cfm

Note that the opening paragraph relates only to transplantation.

A key paragraph is:

"The HT Act is however silent on the sale of bodies, body parts or tissue for other purposes, and such sales are therefore outside the remit of the Human Tissue Authority (HTA)".

However, be aware that:

"A key principle on which the Act is based is that all bodies, body parts or tissue should be treated with respect and dignity. The HTA considers that the need to maintain dignity and respect is paramount in the handling of all human bodies and tissue".

This means that the Human Tissue Authority could still get involved in cases where the Act is silent if they feel that the dignity of the deceased has been compromised.

It is not illegal to hold a private collection of bones. Given the HTA policy, I'd have thought a discreet private sale to someone else wouldn't be a problem.

I doubt a university will give you money for it. They may be willing to receive it as a donation, but some won't as they are awash with bones already.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Those who drafted the Human Tissue Act didn't realise that their sweeping statements would be used for a variety of human remains. They were trying to prevent another scandal where hospitals and other organisations held onto body parts of the recently deceased for years without the knowledge or permission of relatives of the deceased. For that reason, there's still much manoeuvring and discussion about human remains held outside this type of organisation (and obtained under very different circumstances, such as archaeological excavation). There are many grey areas still to be settled and many situations without current legal precedent to clarify them in law.

If you can wade your way through the actual legislation, the applicable sections seem to be 30 "Possession of anatomical specimens away from licenced premises" and 31 "Possession of former anatomical specimens away from licenced premises".
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/30/contents
manunited1993
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Gumtree?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Variations
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Who was it?
marcus2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Cash converters.

/thread
Coolknight
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
The terms "anatomical specimen" and "former anatomical specimen" have specific meanings and relate to material donated specifically for anatomical examination under the terms of the Human Tissue Act (2004). Boxed skeletons issued to medical students in years gone by don't fall into either category so paragraphs 30 and 31 don't apply. If the terms applied to any body or body part, undertakers, who don't hold HTA licences, would be in trouble!

I know that the HTA have been asked the question about private collections of bones before; they have said that such collections are legal but I can only put my hands on third-party statements about it now, for example:

http://www.csp.org.uk/frontline/arti...etons-cupboard

Although disposal needs to be via a licensed establishment (which would do a recorded incineration), if private holdings are allowed, then transfer to another private individual should be fine.

I'll ring the HTA on Monday and get it from the horses mouth.

(Original post by Klix88;39636784.....

If you can wade your way through the actual legislation, the applicable sections seem to be 30 "Possession of anatomical specimens away from licenced premises" and 31 "Possession of former anatomical specimens away from licenced premises".
[URL
)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/30/contents[/URL]
stingrayman
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RennieLaBeaux)
I have a complete skeleton for sale but I'm not really sure about the best way to go about it.
It was used during the 70's as a study aid by a soon to be retired doctor.

I am researching on his behalf how to sell it, any suggestions welcome.

Hi, do you still have the skeleton?
Thanks
acedlol
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
We all know you did it.

Pretending its from the 70s, more like last week.
Piperdream
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm a figurative artist and amateur anatomist. I've been searching for a natural bone skeleton as a study aid for some time.
Does the doctor still have it?
Manhatten
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have a boxed Adam Roully half skeleton for sale and would appreciate any advice on where to sell it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
22.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
11.43%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
8.57%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
22.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
25.71%

Watched Threads