The Student Room Group

Contact Lens Complications

Hi

Im quite new to contact lenses, having only been into wearing them for about half a month (after many depressive years having to wear glasses) - to cure my bad myopia (short sightedness).

I have heard that there can occasionally be complications with wearing contact lenses as may be read here http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic651.htm.

I was wondering if any veteran contact lens wearers have ever had any problems or else can offer me advice etc - understandably since I'm new to wearing contact lenses this does worry me a bit.

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance :cool:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been wearing them years...(my parents have been wearing them about 30 years too) and never had any problems.
Hi

Im quite new to contact lenses, having only been into wearing them for about half a month (after many depressive years having to wear glasses) - to cure my bad myopia (short sightedness).

I have heard that there can occasionally be complications with wearing contact lenses as may be read here http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic651.htm.

I was wondering if any veteran contact lens wearers have ever had any problems or else can offer me advice etc - understandably since I'm new to wearing contact lenses this does worry me a bit.

Reply 3
I've worn contact lens for 10years and i've not had any major probs/ discomfort.

I've had maybe 4/5 times an eye infection- when I've had a cold and probably transferred the germs into my eye when putting them in without washing my hands properly.

If you always wash your hands and dry them on a separate lint-free towel (not general-use hand towel) there should be no problem.

Soft lens are what the majority of ppl wear, so less discomfort than hard ones. I've never had 24 hour ones: I always take them out at night as your eyes do get dry and tired although I hear that the technology is better these days, and the lenses more permeable.

It is good to go for a few weeks without contact I find, though, as over the years my eyes have got drier. Wearing glasses can take some getting used to again, as you will see less focused, the lens not being so close to the eye.
Reply 4
the worst problem i've had is where the lens folds up under my eyelid and i have to go fish it out
ProfessorFitBoy
Hi

Start the same thread twice eh? What's your game son?
Reply 6
Yeah been wearing them for years now.

Umm.. just keep up with your aftercare appoinments. I used to have annual ones but because their annual ones they're thicker so not enough oxygen was getting to my eye so it got quite vein'y.

So had to change to high water 15 days.

Not sure if that made sense :p:
Reply 7
I've worn them on and off for a couple of years now. My dad's had them for... well, longer that I can remember, and never had no problems.

I've been with the continous wear ones (i.e. that you keep in for a month, then change) for 5 months now, and they are fine. My eyes did get a little dry when I first had them for a couple of weeks, but they are fine now. I guess it was just getting used to them. I would recommend these, as you can take them out and wear glasses if they take your fancy for an occassion, but more importantly, it means you don't have to take them out/put them in every morning/night - that's why I gave up on contacts the first time round, because I couldn't be doing with the putting in/taking out twice a day, but I hated the glassers, tried the continous ones, and they are great. Defo recommended!
UtterNutter69
Start the same thread twice eh? What's your game son?

Just hit the submit thread button twice 'cos I thought it wasn't working.
Please forgive me :bawling:
Reply 9
everything should be OK if you wear the soft lenses, they are really really safe, I've been wearing them for years and haven't had any problems.
Reply 10
I have had them for a couple of years now :smile: Best move i made was to change from the daily disposables to the all day all night monthly ones :smile: Love them, makes a change to wake up in the morning and see!

Lofty.
Reply 11
always wash your hands before puting them in/taking them off and you shouldn't have any problems.
xxx
Reply 12
andy_c
I've worn them on and off for a couple of years now. My dad's had them for... well, longer that I can remember, and never had no problems.

I've been with the continous wear ones (i.e. that you keep in for a month, then change) for 5 months now, and they are fine. My eyes did get a little dry when I first had them for a couple of weeks, but they are fine now. I guess it was just getting used to them. I would recommend these, as you can take them out and wear glasses if they take your fancy for an occassion, but more importantly, it means you don't have to take them out/put them in every morning/night - that's why I gave up on contacts the first time round, because I couldn't be doing with the putting in/taking out twice a day, but I hated the glassers, tried the continous ones, and they are great. Defo recommended!

i use continous ones as well, much more convenient, and its cheaper. But if you lose one, then your half blind
Reply 13
Chi3f
i use continous ones as well, much more convenient, and its cheaper. But if you lose one, then your half blind

Don't you get it replaced for free?
Reply 14
Ive had then since i was 15, so thats like 3 years + and i've never ever had a problem with them. Love my contacts... never go anywhere without them... except swimming lol
Reply 15
Chi3f
the worst problem i've had is where the lens folds up under my eyelid and i have to go fish it out

I had that happen once was horribe. I have been wearing contacts since christmas and have had one eye infection but no other problems.
Reply 16
Yeh worn contacts for a few years now! Only problems are once it fell out of my eye, my it split in my eye and one I couldnt find it in my eye. Apart from that maybe a few eye infections and otherwise amazing feeling that I can see without heavy glasses on my nose!!!!!!!

p.s what is this to do with relationships??
Wooty
Yeh worn contacts for a few years now! Only problems are once it fell out of my eye, my it split in my eye and one I couldnt find it in my eye. Apart from that maybe a few eye infections and otherwise amazing feeling that I can see without heavy glasses on my nose!!!!!!!

p.s what is this to do with relationships??

The discussion lounge was Health & Relationships :smile:
Reply 18
None whatsoever.
None, either. Biggest prob I've had is they keep discontinuing my coloured ones (3 diff types now!) so I'm having to wear normal ones. Gah. So am thinking of getting the leave-in-all-month ones.

4 years now :love: I had to wear glasses for a week last week, god, was so bloody annoying!

Latest

Trending

Trending