Turn on thread page Beta

something about Loughborough? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just accepted offer from Loughborough... Can anybody give me some tips about their campus acomodation and also about the possibility of finding the PT job there(will need one asap)... Thankx Maika

(Original post by Maika)
    Just accepted offer from Loughborough... Can anybody give me some tips about their campus acomodation and also about the possibility of finding the PT job there(will need one asap)... Thankx Maika
    Lovely campus, the nicest accomodation in my opinion is Telford, although they have just spent a lot of money building a new undergrad accomodation centre thingy so that might be worth a look. You should have absolutely no trouble getting a part-time job because of all the student shops and bars etc... I have a friends who got a job on his 2nd day at L'borough and he's still there (loving it)!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maika)
    I wouldnt worry about finding a part time job. If you cant find one in l'boro, then you can travel to lesta or nottingham (bout £3 return wiv railcard) plenty of jobs in these cities,also derby.L'boro train station is smack bang in the centre of these cities and takes bout 15 mins to get to each one.
    Also, uni sports facilities are excellent and parts of the campus i have seen are quite scenic.

Sukh.

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of accommodation info on their website.http://accommodation.lboro.ac.uk/welcome/welcome.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Lovely campus, the nicest accomodation in my opinion is Telford, although they have just spent a lot of money building a new undergrad accomodation centre thingy so that might be worth a look. You should have absolutely no trouble getting a part-time job because of all the student shops and bars etc... I have a friends who got a job on his 2nd day at L'borough and he's still there (loving it)!!!
    Do you know the name of "new accomodation centre thingy"? I won´t be able to go to L´borough before october, so the internet is the only way of having a look. I´m doing a bit of research before I´m contacted about accomodation by uni and before I have to make a choice. Thanks for helping (that goes for others too)

ReputationRep:
    I used Loughborough as my insurance choice last year. The campus is huge, but really nice (I didn't actually see the entire campus - one whole end is all engineering and stuff so I didn't see that). Lots of greenery, and loads of sports facilities. I'm not sure about the job thing though, they didn't really mention anything about part time jobs. I'd imagine you'd have to get in there pretty quick though as Lboro isn't that big a place, so you might find that part-time jobs actually in Lboro go quickly, and you may have to look in Nottingham, or Leicester.

Also I can't really advise much about accomodation, as in 2 visits to Loughborough I only got shown one hall (it was the one that had the small ensuite shower cubicles) but I can't remember the name of it, but that one was quite nice. Most of the accomodation is grouped together so wherever you are put, you'll always be near to loads of other students.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the website it was Telford that i saw, and I thought it was pretty nice, though couldn't compare it to anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    hey, what course are you doing there? i've got an offfer from them too, at the moment its my first choice. what did u make of the campus? i liked it. i was told Telford was the best accomodation. to be honest when i went round they all looked fine except the big scary tall tower block. i dont fancy lugging my stuff up to the top room there!! cant remember the name of the hall but the catered hall thats a really big old looking building near the union was really nice inside! i want self catering though. but if ure not bothered then maybe go to that one the rooms were nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean4ian)
    hey, what course are you doing there? i've got an offfer from them too, at the moment its my first choice. what did u make of the campus? i liked it. i was told Telford was the best accomodation. to be honest when i went round they all looked fine except the big scary tall tower block. i dont fancy lugging my stuff up to the top room there!! cant remember the name of the hall but the catered hall thats a really big old looking building near the union was really nice inside! i want self catering though. but if ure not bothered then maybe go to that one the rooms were nice!
    I´m going for Computing & Management 4yrs sandwich. And u? I would like to get also self catering accomodation, but it´s a bit difficult to choose as I didn´t see more than those pics on L. uni website and I have no chance to get there before October. So I have no idea how campus REALLY looks like, but the photos look ok and I heard from many people already that campus is very nice, so I´m quite looking forward to it.

(Original post by Maika)
    Do you know the name of "new accomodation centre thingy"? I won´t be able to go to L´borough before october, so the internet is the only way of having a look. I´m doing a bit of research before I´m contacted about accomodation by uni and before I have to make a choice. Thanks for helping (that goes for others too)
    The new accomodation is called "The Holt" and accoring to my friends at L'borough, it is looking very nice indeed. Im still a fan of Telford though because of the nice compact look of it, the fairly decent rooms (pretty standard for L'borough really), the eternet connection in every room (this is vital for me to live ) and the nice big Laundry room!!!

(Original post by Maika)
    So I have no idea how campus REALLY looks like, but the photos look ok and I heard from many people already that campus is very nice, so I´m quite looking forward to it.
    I can almost guarantee that you will love the campus. I don't think I have ever actually met anyone who disliked it...

ReputationRep:
    The new accomodation is called "The Holt" and accoring to my friends at L'borough, it is looking very nice indeed. Im still a fan of Telford though because of the nice compact look of it, the fairly decent rooms (pretty standard for L'borough really), the eternet connection in every room (this is vital for me to live ) and the nice big Laundry room!!!
    By the way... Do you know how does it work on campus accomodation? Do you pay some extra money for your internet and stuff or is it included in the rent money? And loundry? Do you need some coins or chip or is it free?

(Original post by Maika)
    By the way... Do you know how does it work on campus accomodation? Do you pay some extra money for your internet and stuff or is it included in the rent money? And loundry? Do you need some coins or chip or is it free?
    You don't have to pay for your ethernet connection (I think its included in the price of the room). You need to provide your own cooking stuff and the washing machines run on coins (I think), I do know that its not very expensive though so you should have money left over for other activities!!!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to pay for your ethernet connection (I think its included in the price of the room). You need to provide your own cooking stuff and the washing machines run on coins (I think), I do know that its not very expensive though so you should have money left over for other activities!!!
    And sport facilities? L´borough has new swimming pool.... Do you think they charge students to go there or to gym and so on?

(Original post by Maika)
    And sport facilities? L´borough has new swimming pool.... Do you think they charge students to go there or to gym and so on?
    Loughborough's sports facilites are the stuff of legends, all facilities are ulta-modern and I'm about 90% certain that they are free for students to use. If there is a fee then it will only be for the facilities where there is only a limited number of people at any one time etc... Again I am almost certain that they are in fact free but I can't guarantee this.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough's sports facilites are the stuff of legends, all facilities are ulta-modern and I'm about 90% certain that they are free for students to use. If there is a fee then it will only be for the facilities where there is only a limited number of people at any one time etc... Again I am almost certain that they are in fact free but I can't guarantee this.
    Fantastic!! I´m looking forward to going there more and more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maika)
    You do get charged. A student who showed us round said that some of the sports are very expensive, and you can't always use the facilities when you want to. I think he said the pool cost £3-£4 a session and that the gym was quite reasonable. He'd had to give up football, I think he said he couldn't afford it but I'm not sure how that works, unless his team had to pay too much for the pitch.

We were also told that high speed internet access is provided in every room and the cost is included in your bill - you pay it even if you don't have a pc. That's a change from this current year - apparently it got too complicated so will be standard from next time.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a job in Loughborough shouldn't be too hard, there are loads of bars and shops which will be begging for students come september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maika)
    I was told that the facilities were available fairly cheap to students, but i'm not entirely sure. I can't see how they'd be free though, especially since there's such a huge range of sports facilities (L'boro has 3 swimming pools I think, two 25 metre and the new 50 metre one - its about the only place in England to have that many pools in that amount of space!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by researcher)
    the pool cost £3-£4 a session .
    well that doesn´t make me that happy but I think I will just have to find my way around once I´m there. Any other "amazing facts" which could a bit widen my view? It´s not as I would be still making up my mind, I´m going there no matter what, but I just wanted to find out as much as I can before I see for myself in October. Of course I´ve checked all the official sites, but wanted to get some info from people who are there already, have been there before or had chance to go to open day.

thanks for helping

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.