Turn on thread page Beta

Car Insurance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Who are you with?

Are they cheap?

I'm thinking of going with high performance, they're the cheapest quote I got thru ringing people up, even cheaper than all confused.com quotes one which was ridiculously high, almost £5,000 for a £1,500 car third party fire & theft.

So far got a difference of £1418 between my highest and lowest phone quote.

ReputationRep:
    Try CIS, CoOperative Insurance, they were really cheap (well compared to everyone else) for my Nova. Or you could try Endsleigh if you are a student.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Tescos and Churchill were cheapest for me (a couple of quid difference in price).

Confused is always expensive so dont bother wasting time with them.

ReputationRep:
    Sainsbury's Bank, Tesco, Direct line, Churchill there's loads

But what the hell car is this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on as another driver on my mums insurance, can't remember the exact figures, but she is with RAC at the moment which is about £1000 a year for me. We got a quote from direct line for when we renew it and its about £500 for me with them. Although, the excess with direct line is alot higher (£500 compared to £350 with the RAC.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I found Direct Line to be awesome. literally like..£500 cheaper than other places.

do you have pass plus?
    Same here, they work out by far the cheapest for me. My dad has been with them since 98 and they provide great service, they tried to only offer us £1200 for our written off Punto which was worth £1600 at the time, they gave us £1500 in the end. They failed to see the difference between the S and SX model which was worth £100's considering they cost £1500 more when new.

ReputationRep:
    National Farmers Union!! www.nfumutual.co.uk

its my first year of having a car and i'm only paying £670 TPFT for my AX

ReputationRep:
    The NFU rule, but if you're a new driver or nobody else in your family has an existing policy with them, then forget it as they won't cover you. When they do agree to cover you though, they're by far the cheapest.

I went with Tesco in the end - about £400 cheaper than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    The NFU rule, but if you're a new driver or nobody else in your family has an existing policy with them, then forget it as they won't cover you. When they do agree to cover you though, they're by far the cheapest.

I went with Tesco in the end - about £400 cheaper than anyone else.
    No one in my family had an existing policy with them.. and i was a new driver... lol

they were even £300 cheaper than tesco.. who were £350 cheaper than all the others.. *yay*

ReputationRep:
    try elephant as they are really good. the other trick is to puit your mother on your insurance as a named driver as it brings the cost down. I am 25 and my mother is still on my insurance even though she has never driven my car. drops it by about 10%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    No one in my family had an existing policy with them.. and i was a new driver... lol

they were even £300 cheaper than tesco.. who were £350 cheaper than all the others.. *yay*
    Waaaaa!!! They told me and one of my friends that they don't cover new drivers unless somebody else in the family already has a policy with them. We were cheated!:hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Waaaaa!!! They told me and one of my friends that they don't cover new drivers unless somebody else in the family already has a policy with them. We were cheated!:hmpf:
    Maybe the policy has changed since 7 months ago??

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, maybe. I'll have to look at NFU again then when renewal time comes around.

ReputationRep:
    Think i'll be goin with Norwich Union. So much money to insure. ahhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Im with Admiral, i think its £750 fully comp and im on a provisional license, they give you 10% discount if i agreed to swap my parents over when theirs was due.

ReputationRep:
    NU or CIS i'd reccomend.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    im with prudential, 350 tpft for my fiesta. i hav 1yr NCB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise28k)
    im with prudential, 350 tpft for my fiesta. i hav 1yr NCB
    NCBs arnt the only cheapening factors i wish they were

ReputationRep:
    The cheapest quote i got at 19 with a mk3 golf 1.8, valued at £50 (no joke) was £2,500ish, the worst part bout living in manchester Also, my cousin's an insurance broker, and apparently the savings you make building up your NCBs aren't worth the amount you pay out, so if you can, just stay as a named driver if poss until you're about 25. I can't afford a car, running costs and insurance anyway, so im probably just gonna jump on my parents insurance when i'm back home. I really need to win the lottery this weekend...

ReputationRep:
    The named driver thing is not strictly legal though. If the insurance company find out that it is you are the main driver for that car and not the policy holder they will void your insurance.

They have people who's job it is is just to catch people out on that, rememember the insurance company will do anything they can do avoid a pay out, especialy if injury claims are submitted.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.