Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone considering a career as a (secondary school) teacher? If so, what do you think is the most appealing thing about teaching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Anyone considering a career as a (secondary school) teacher? If so, what do you think is the most appealing thing about teaching?
    You never have to grow up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    the holidays. 6 weeks during summer

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of FE lectuering.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of teaching. I think it'd be a brilliant challenge and soooo rewarding if you could manage to inspire any kids... Don't know if I'd be any good at it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    It is one of my options. Teaching is such a crucial job, and it is so rewarding to see how you help young people develop into adults. Being a teacher is not only about teaching, but also about learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    teaching is a good job, but in a secondary school i find pointless - it is very routinary doing the same syllabus all the time - you yourself do not always find anything challening in terms of your interest of your subjects, e.g. teaching geog a-level hardly stimulates your geog knowldedge. However you get ALOT of holidays
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    teaching is a good job, but in a secondary school i find pointless - it is very routinary doing the same syllabus all the time - you yourself do not always find anything challening in terms of your interest of your subjects, e.g. teaching geog a-level hardly stimulates your geog knowldedge. However you get ALOT of holidays
    Actually sixth form teaching is about the only aspect of my job I get a kick out of....lower down the syllabuses are so circumscribed and lesson allocation is so short that there is no freedom to develop an argument or discussion. Whilst A level specs are restricting, it is possible to find the time now and again to really feel that you are imparting something of what originally attracted you to the subject! I confess that if I was starting my career path again, I would not go into teaching - far,far too many narrow-minded government interventionists for my liking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    ooohhh me me me!!! im doing a degree in fine art and then im gonna do a pgce, ive always wanted to be a teacher from the age of about 10, it must be an authority thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Actually sixth form teaching is about the only aspect of my job I get a kick out of....lower down the syllabuses are so circumscribed and lesson allocation is so short that there is no freedom to develop an argument or discussion. Whilst A level specs are restricting, it is possible to find the time now and again to really feel that you are imparting something of what originally attracted you to the subject! I confess that if I was starting my career path again, I would not go into teaching - far,far too many narrow-minded government interventionists for my liking!
    It's the level of bureaucracy which is making me think twice about teaching. I'm not too bothered by the risk of repetition, since I'd be teaching the sort of subject which could easily repay a number of years attention. What sort of "interventions" do you have to put up with, then. (Presumably you teach Geography?)

ReputationRep:
    My best friend has just become...... a Chemistry teacher (oh the shame!) thru the government fast track scheme. She got loads of [email protected] from the other staff though while training as the fast track scheme prepares you for dept head level entry, and as such she had to attend all the top level meetings held etc. Created a lot of bad feeling towards her from staff that had been there for years without progressing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by d750)
    It's the level of bureaucracy which is making me think twice about teaching. I'm not too bothered by the risk of repetition, since I'd be teaching the sort of subject which could easily repay a number of years attention. What sort of "interventions" do you have to put up with, then. (Presumably you teach Geography?)
    The highly specific Key Stage 3 limitations and the assessments you have to make of each student's level.... now you also have to specify exactly how you are going to amend your specific lesson plan for every student who has some sort of special needs (everything from, dyslexia, to ADHD to high ability students to those who are behaviourally challenged!). And that's not even starting to look at the level of statistical information we have to keep, and keep track of and show that we are using in order to maximise our students' abilities. All this and still try to provide interesting, inspirational lessons, using new technology like Interactive Whiteboards... and keep up to date with your subject.
    Is it any wonder that teachers are disillusioned and wanting to get back to the more "professional approach " of 10 years ago when the only real academic restrictions were the GCSE and A level syllabuses ... and even for those there was much more choice in the range of topics you could cover - now, frankly, they are much the same!
    OK ** Rant over** to be honest I still do enjoy teaching most of the time, but the pettiness of government still takes the gloss off what can be a rewarding and satisfying job!

ReputationRep:
    The fact that your giving back to the future generations. The wages the holidays and the detention !!! All I can say is anyone considering teacher make sure you get the Gcses you need 1st Institutions are quite snobby about it. And grow a thick skin because you get ripped to bits at your interviews !!!

ReputationRep:
    teaching seems like a rewarding job, but then extremely difficult as well. some of my teachers constantly complain that they spend most evening/weekends marking...and a lot of the half terms/holidays writing reports/lesson plans etc.

but see kids you have taught do well and get good grades etc, or want to do a degree in your subject etc must be good

ReputationRep:
    i dont think id ever work in a secondary school.. u'l have to be one of those "cool, laid back" teachers to be respected.. which could be bad, as they woudl tend not to do work in lessons or hand homework in on time, just cos they think u wud not mind. Ive seen how some trainee teachers at my old school were treated.. nice enough kids but just see an easy target. If your too tough you just get disrespected. Teenagers have too much of an attitude!..

give me the younger kids anyday!.. i wanna be a primary school teacher.. wether infants or middle school.. This is when they tend to be really interested in learning, and begin to be inspired by the subjects. These teachers really stick in the childrens mind. i can remember each one of my infant and junior teachers, thats because they were good teachers and made learning fun.
    At that age you can use a wider range of teaching methods, which tend to be more fun, you could use toys, water play etc.
    Little kids buy you pressies at the end of term aswell..! lol
    You will feel truely warm inside when the kids ask you what they are going to learn today, or just that they like you.. surely they may be little brats sometimes.. but hey who isnt!.. lol..

ReputationRep:
    Job satisfaction (or so they say) knowing you can change the world and shape the future...
    Those who can. Teach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    I would love to be a secondary teacher just because it allows you to have such an important influence in individuals' lives at such an important stage. Also I'd like to keep in touch with my subjects and it's a good way to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    I am. When I'm old and have made my millions. The most appealing thing is seeing the look on the face of a kid who just learnt someting that interested them or blew them away etc. Helping someone understand something is a great thing to do.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.