BA (non - hons) degree Watch

stirlingboy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
What are peoples generalperceptions of these? Are they ok or bit of a waste of time if they aren't honours?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stirlingboy)
What are peoples generalperceptions of these? Are they ok or bit of a waste of time if they aren't honours?
A total waste of time really.

Int he past, ordinary degrees were the norm for some subjects, esp vocational ones, and honours degrees weren't really available. These are 'acceptable'...

However, an ordinary degree in todays climate is usually awarded to people who fail to get high enough marks to get a 3rd class honours (i.e. below 40%). I certainly wouldn't want peeps to think I fell into that category! No matter how snobby that seems!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's a lot cheaper and quicker to make a big placard saying "I'm a failure".
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have to agree with Fluffy. They used to be respected back then when hardly anyone had a degree, but today, getting a 2nd class honours is the norm (amongst the educated).
mauritius
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What exactly is a non-hons degree? A modular degree? :confused:
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just FYI - in Singapore and Scotland (probably more countries, I just don't know which ones), if you do your degree programme for only 3 years, you're awarded a degree without hons. You can only qualify for hons (1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3) if you study it for a 4th year.
zoe76
Report 12 years ago
Thought a non-hons was what you got if you only pass by the skin of your teeth, didn't think they were a choice...
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mauritius)
What exactly is a non-hons degree? A modular degree? :confused:
An Ordinary degree.
mauritius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is my modular degree a non-hns then??:eek:
Miss Tink
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I thought that it was about it being only institutions that had their own degree awarding powers could give out BA hons...which was why Uni Colleges usually offered just BA's....is that not right?

I didn't even realise the difference with BA/BA hons when I applied. Man. There is so much I wish I'd known back then.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mauritius)
Is my modular degree a non-hns then??:eek:
It is nothing to do with modular degrees. Read the posts above :rolleyes:
The Boosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Any degree without honours is worth jack sh^t - dont even try it - you would be better off not going to uni if you are thinking about job propsects since that certificate confers your status as a baboon. Your honours is linked to your degree classification and is dependent on a final project of some description (dissertation, synoptic module, exams etc).
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stirlingboy)
Unless you've a penchant for acquiring what is to all practical purposes probably the most expensive toilet-paper in the World; then, 'yes' (to the latter).
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
However there are a few non hons courses around - they tend to be part time or top up courses (for people who've already got a foundation degree or HND) in my experience.
HNC / D course are a qualification in its own right; as I'm sure your aware. However, the non-honours applies because some poeple can get into the 3rd year of certain universities. I managed to get an unconditional into 3rd year, although I didn't take it. Kings and QM both offered 2nd year entry honours, whereas the 3rd year entry was non-honours.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.68%
No (520)
72.32%

Watched Threads