Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am sorry the number you have called has not been recognised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    And who designed this creator?
    Nothing, obviously. This is because the creator (i.e God) is outside of the universe and therefore it is more likely it does not follow the normal matter of causeation that we associate to matter/physical things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    *******s. Our brain is no different to that of an ancient Egyptian or Hebrew or whatever. They just didn't know those things because the technology to find out wasn't there.
    its no different in potential yes, but you show a tv to a person 300 years ago and they'll impale you to a wall and then get ready to kill u kos ur a witch, kos they'll think some little shrimp is stuck in a tv.

people back then had limited mathematical knowledge, same goes for all sciences. heard of the alchemists, they were dead sure that they could turn anything into gold, or the plum pudding model of the atom??

at that time, you couldn't talk about gravity, to this day we don't know causes gravity, i mena truly mean. theyr trying to find gravity waves at the mo.

you couldnt tell them that there was a whole universe outside, that they coud be killed by a huge asteroid, and they had no way of protecting themsleves.

ReputationRep:
    They were only like that because of their societies! If you could magically bring a baby from 3000BCE into the present day and bring it up alongside modern technology it would be absolutely no different apart from the fact it may be susceptible to certain diseases we're immune to.

If someone from the future visited us we'd probably think their technology was some kind of magic trick.

Our knowledge is advancing all the time. We think we're so advanced, so why doesn't God reveal the ultimate technology to us? Is it God that reveals technology to us incrementally? No, we figure it out for ourselves.
    k, heres a question for you, who wrote the bible? old testament i mean, did someone just invent crap out of his arse?

ReputationRep:
    i still believe that the only way to answer the fact that we cant explain who created god and who created the creator of god is that we are disabled from knowing this knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    the thing id, if the people 30000 years ago couldn't grasp the basics, how can you explain complicated stuff to them. remember the maths coursework about the gutter, we had to use the long formula, trapezium ruel thing to calculate max volume. turns out, you coud get full marks for solving using two lines. that is using differentiation. thing is, we probably wouldn't understand intergration or differentatons.

basically, my point is, the bible was written in that a bit vague manner as it was tailored to the people's collective level of intelect. whats the point in telling them that there is a huge planet which we would call jupiter, that we kan't see.

ReputationRep:
    Its more likely just a paradox.
    would it be possible that we are an experiment of a future generation, to see how we interact with each other with different variables?

ReputationRep:
    It was written by some Hebews as a supposedly historical account. If you mean Genesis, then someone made that up 'out of his arse' yes as its allegorical. Where exactly is this heading?
    so if it was a bunch of unbelievable ******** that someone made up, then how come it bears some truth to how the world was created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Nothing, obviously. This is because the creator (i.e God) is outside of the universe and therefore it is more likely it does not follow the normal matter of causeation that we associate to matter/physical things.
    Hmm.

If the laws of causation don't apply to him, how could he have caused the universe?

ReputationRep:
    Read what I said about bringing up a child of 3000BCE up in modern times, or didn't you grasp that? People couldn't grasp 'modern' concepts like advanced mathematics because they hadn't had the appropriate teaching, because that knowledge wasn't available to teach! Their brains would have been perfectly capable of understanding provided they'd been schooled for the first 16 years of their lives about all the latest knowledge like we do.
    yeah, but the fact is that they hadn't been schooled in the latests knowledge, so they wouldn't understand the truth.
    aslo, the bible wasn't meant to be a PhD in "The World History:The Real Facts", it was meant to be a manual on life.

ReputationRep:
    the future, people will look back at us and be amused by our attempts to explain the origins of the universe.
    im sure the programers will be intrigued

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, too many uncertainties to know

ReputationRep:
    *******s. Our brain is no different to that of an ancient Egyptian or Hebrew or whatever. They just didn't know those things because the technology to find out wasn't there.
    I was reading this thing about how the ancient egyptian pyramids were built with the accuracy only possible by the use of lasers. One theory was that the people of atlantis were actually a advanced race and they helped the egyptians to build the pyramids. interesting maybe a bit far fetched

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    visual123 God might exist to create the universe, but alternatively and equally likely is that it wasnt created by him. accept this and stop trying to argue a pointless point.

choose ur own view on the world and stop trying to persuade others in some bible bashing crusade
    If Christians can freely expres their opinions, then atheists can too. Stop trying to repress us, dammit! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i truly believe that in the future because the computer technology is always 2 times as good than the year before, there will be basically infinite memory and processing power that they can basically program another world.
    have you read that 'proof' that we're living in the matrix? (ai/computer tech will get amazing --> loads of simulations run --> prob that this is a simu is therefore high)

there's moores law that the comp speed doubles every 18 months, but thats only goes as far as silicon will physically let it. or something.

as for creationism vs evolution - personally, im an evolutionist, but i agree there is something amazing about how finely tuned the universe is.

ReputationRep:
    Is it not selfish of god to create an infinite amount of space only to populate one world with and making 1 religion of the many on earth the true one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    k, heres a question for you, who wrote the bible? old testament i mean, did someone just invent crap out of his arse?
    Just because it's a work of fiction doesn't mean it's crap out of someone's arse. Anyway, one man didn't write the bible, it was written by hundreds of people over large spans of time.

ReputationRep:
    another cool thing i read was about the aztecs. One of the most succcessful civilisations ever - they never found out about the wheel, yet hey were relatively advanced

ReputationRep:
    long time ago, i was so young then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Just because it's a work of fiction doesn't mean it's crap out of someone's arse. Anyway, one man didn't write the bible, it was written by hundreds of people over large spans of time.
    has anyone seen the ricky gervais stand up thing about genisis??? he actually brings up some good points.
    If god is everywhere why didn't he stop ther serpent??? why did he put it there in the first place??? why did he put the tree there???
    On day one he created the heaven and the earth, on day two he created light, that mus mean that he created the heaven and the earth in the dark lol

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.