Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    It's heaven....
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I was rather hoping to be pos repped for it
    Well, 2 gems in a short space of time, you're definitely travelling along the right path at the mo.

ReputationRep:
    Well I did know, but I got a bit confused. I'm surrounding by enough books to last me a lifetime without getting dictionaries involved!

Trying to make me jealous of your uni?
    LOL of course not. The UL is the second biggest library in the UK though. Perhaps I'm trying to make you jealous of our library. And the fact I can go in with my bippy barcode card and sit in amongst the books and clever people and feel totally out of place.... LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Once you start, you become a dictionary freak like me. Then you move onto foreign dictionaries (I found myself looking at a coptic/greek dictionary the other day) and then onto thesauri. Thank goodness the UL has a room FULL of dictionaries. It's heaven....
    Jeez, I know what you mean, I haven't used my 'Pocket Fowler's Modern English Use' yet, despite having it months. I don't seem to put Roget's down when writing an essay though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Jeez, I know what you mean, I haven't used my 'Pocket Fowler's Modern English Use' yet, despite having it months. I don't seem to put Roget's down when writing an essay though.
    ROget and OED are my best essay-writing friends. My French and Latin dictionaries are ever so fun - but a distraction unless I'm doing my French work...

ReputationRep:
    I had to get a "rare book" once and it had to sit on a padded book cradle and everyfink...

ReputationRep:
    I had to get a "rare book" once and it had to sit on a padded book cradle and everyfink...
    what was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    what was it?
    I think it was a first edition Jane Eyre.

You have to "order" and collect SO many books though because they have so many. You have to fill in a card and wait 1/2 an hour whilst someone goes into the bowels of the library and finds it!

ReputationRep:
    look at the time, its way past my bedtime :eek: nite

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with getting a new copy?

The sheer pleasure...

ReputationRep:
    You have very odd tastes in my opinion!
    I was enthusiastic. I wanted to see a "real" thing on my first trip. As far as I can tell, most freshers don't even go into the UL.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.