The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

blissy
It's heaven....

:eek:
piginapoke
I was rather hoping to be pos repped for it :smile:

Well, 2 gems in a short space of time, you're definitely travelling along the right path at the mo. :wink:
Reply 82
piginapoke
Well I did know, but I got a bit confused. I'm surrounding by enough books to last me a lifetime without getting dictionaries involved!

Trying to make me jealous of your uni? :wink:

LOL of course not. The UL is the second biggest library in the UK though. Perhaps I'm trying to make you jealous of our library. And the fact I can go in with my bippy barcode card and sit in amongst the books and clever people and feel totally out of place.... LOL.
Reply 83
blissy
Once you start, you become a dictionary freak like me. Then you move onto foreign dictionaries (I found myself looking at a coptic/greek dictionary the other day) and then onto thesauri. Thank goodness the UL has a room FULL of dictionaries. It's heaven....

Jeez, I know what you mean, I haven't used my 'Pocket Fowler's Modern English Use' yet, despite having it months. I don't seem to put Roget's down when writing an essay though.
Reply 84
jammyd
Jeez, I know what you mean, I haven't used my 'Pocket Fowler's Modern English Use' yet, despite having it months. I don't seem to put Roget's down when writing an essay though.

ROget and OED are my best essay-writing friends. My French and Latin dictionaries are ever so fun - but a distraction unless I'm doing my French work...
Reply 85
I had to get a "rare book" once and it had to sit on a padded book cradle and everyfink...
Reply 86
blissy
I had to get a "rare book" once and it had to sit on a padded book cradle and everyfink...

what was it?
Reply 87
Baron
what was it?

I think it was a first edition Jane Eyre.

You have to "order" and collect SO many books though because they have so many. You have to fill in a card and wait 1/2 an hour whilst someone goes into the bowels of the library and finds it!
Reply 88
look at the time, its way past my bedtime :eek: nite
Reply 89
piginapoke
What's wrong with getting a new copy?

The sheer pleasure...
Reply 90
piginapoke
You have very odd tastes in my opinion! :biggrin:

I was enthusiastic. I wanted to see a "real" thing on my first trip. As far as I can tell, most freshers don't even go into the UL.

Latest

Trending

Trending