Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    As I've said before, i really think it's important to consider which course will suit YOU best.

As far as the uni's are concerned, they both have good reps - It really makes no difference where they feature in league tables etc.

Both cities (I live in Manc) have their ads and disads.

Notts is campus based, on outskirts of city (10 mins bus), whilst Manchester central and less of a true campus. Both have dodgy areas, and I would say student areas in Manc worse than those in Notts.

As far as social life is concerned, both are great - more clubs in Manchester, but I prefer the 'bars' of Nottingham.

Think about how far from home you want to live?
    Do both guarantee accommo to 1st years?
    Pharmacists at Notts spend quite a lot of time in lectures with medics in 1st year. Therefore spend some of their time in medschool, and some in pharmacy on the main campus.
    Just out of interest have you ever been to the bars in Chorlton or Didsbury? I prefer them to ones in the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been to bars in Didsbury before and they're good. Don't get me wrong, I think Manchester is a great city. I think when it comes to nightlife, maybe I'm just a bit lazy, and like the fact that I can go to the Lacemarket area of Nottingham where loads of 'nice bars' are congregated. When I go out in Manchester, I tend to end up walking miles - which in the freezing cold, heels and tipsy, isn't that much fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    :

i dont know what rep is like for pharmacy but as joy already said notts is the home of boots so i guess that is a good start

either of themw would be great

manc,has ot got higher crime rate than nottingham,it just edgersw it maybe,but mancs bigger city than nolttingham,

as for boots,well they are in disaster,2 years runnig and there profits are down,slashed 1000 jobs at nottinghams head office,more expected to go in summer

boots is being outcompeted by tescos,

you do talk one hell of a lot of rubbish boy

"Violent crime rates (per 1,000 people)
    London 22.2
    West Midlands 17
    Greater Manchester 15.4
    Nottinghamshire 14.3
    Leicestershire 12.2
    Merseyside 10.5
    Northumbria 9.4 "

source: ://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1120016.stm

there we go dear, per capita rates showing both manchester and birmingham as having higher levels, do i really need to find more evidence of this to stop you drivelling on about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyreid)
    manc,has ot got higher crime rate than nottingham,it just edgersw it maybe,but mancs bigger city than nolttingham,

as for boots,well they are in disaster,2 years runnig and there profits are down,slashed 1000 jobs at nottinghams head office,more expected to go in summer

boots is being outcompeted by tescos,
    That has little relevance to the school of pharmacy though! The point I'm making is that the pharmacy course here is slanted towards 'industry' perhaps more than other schools. This suits some people, but not others.

ReputationRep:
    I think the what is being said is that Tesco is undercutting boots so boots are having to cut lots of jobs as stores are closing down etc. As a result of this the money boots can spend of drugs research will be less etc.

ReputationRep:
    but that's still not going to have any direct impact on pharmacists from Notts. The only potential impact will be that Boots will take on fewer grads - but anyone can apply for Boots posts so will be a 'universal effect'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    you do talk one hell of a lot of rubbish boy

"Violent crime rates (per 1,000 people)
    London 22.2
    West Midlands 17
    Greater Manchester 15.4
    Nottinghamshire 14.3
    Leicestershire 12.2
    Merseyside 10.5
    Northumbria 9.4 "

source: ://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1120016.stm

there we go dear, per capita rates showing both manchester and birmingham as having higher levels, do i really need to find more evidence of this to stop you drivelling on about it?
    By that logic, Imperial or LSE is the most dangerous place to be in the country?

(Original post by fishpaste)
    By that logic, Imperial or LSE is the most dangerous place to be in the country?
    well some of the lse halls is are in dodgyish area(high holborn is the one im thinking of) but no of course not, that is the point, nottingham university is in a very nice area of nottingham with a fairly low crime rate but mr reid seems insistent that it is the middle of brixton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    well some of the lse halls is are in dodgyish area(high holborn is the one im thinking of) but no of course not, that is the point, nottingham university is in a very nice area of nottingham with a fairly low crime rate but mr reid seems insistent that it is the middle of brixton

Okey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)

finally,you ve said some thing ive agreed with
    you have been put in the very best parts of nottingham,but ive been put in radford,which i guarentee you could compete with brixton

in fact beeston which is where the uni is is not offically nottingham,at best its described as a suburb

meadows,st anns,hyson green,bulwell,sneinton,forest fields,broxtowe estate,basford,top valley,bestwood,netherfield.huck nall,bilboorugh,strelley,aspley etc etc

ive been to all these areas as they compromise MOST of notingham,they are horrible mix of run down mining areas (bulwell hucknall) mixed in with compton like inner city areas,meadows,st anns

i feel i can comment on the real nottingham as i live in one of the inner city holes, from that list i bet rah and nk have never heard or been to those areas.

those areas are the real nottingham
    its a viooent dump

and nottingham crime and manchester crime is very very similar,look up www.upmystreet.com and compare them and its very close

plus mancs a bigger city than nottingham so it should have MUCH higher crime rate

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to point out that you actually live in LENTON as that's where RP is (I would know having lived there last year). Radford 'begins' on the other side of Ilkeston Road.

I would be blatantly blind and stupid if I hadn'y yet got the message that you don't like Nottingham - Fair enough, that's your opinion. However, I don't think you should continually make it out to be a 'shithole'. I have no idea why you have managed to visit every area in Notts - I considered myself to be 'well travelled' as a medic who's been on placements around the area, but have certainly not visited all parts!!! The vast majority of students won't go anywhere besides Lenton, Beeston, Dunkirk and the city centre, so what does it matter what the rest of the city is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    I'd just like to point out that you actually live in LENTON as that's where RP is (I would know having lived there last year). Radford 'begins' on the other side of Ilkeston Road.

I would be blatantly blind and stupid if I hadn'y yet got the message that you don't like Nottingham - Fair enough, that's your opinion. However, I don't think you should continually make it out to be a 'shithole'. I have no idea why you have managed to visit every area in Notts - I considered myself to be 'well travelled' as a medic who's been on placements around the area, but have certainly not visited all parts!!! The vast majority of students won't go anywhere besides Lenton, Beeston, Dunkirk and the city centre, so what does it matter what the rest of the city is like.

lmao what a moronic statement to make,i will be living in nottingham for 3/4 years,i so i feel i should get to know the whole city,not like you lot who are couped up in one area

you see why are you making judgements of a city you basically dont know,lol

go to bulwell and top valley,basford hyson green see if you like it,if so buy a house there

"what does it mattrer what the rest of the city looks like"

lmao what a poor statement

ReputationRep:
    lmao what a poor statement
    what a poor excuse for a person...

ReputationRep:
    erm..... I've been to all of those places you have mentioned. OK, I wouldn't buy a house there, but then again, as I said in my apparently moronic statement, what does that matter to a student deciding on which university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    what a poor excuse for a person...

yeah i agree i know lady luck is,but hey,bit harsh to insult like that

ReputationRep:
    lol - you don't even get when people are laughing at you.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree i know lady luck is,but hey,bit harsh to insult like that
    Wow you really are stupid. I was talking about you. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ive been put in radford,which i guarentee you could compete with brixton

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahah. Hahahahah. Haaahahahahhaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahah. Hahahahah. Haaahahahahhaha.
    LOL lol lol lol LOL (ROFL!!!!!)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 6, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.