The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
atomic1125
AKPsi is a co-ed business frat, they're not really a "real" frat per say, but they are generally regard more highly then the other business frat (beta alpha psi), at least here amoung business undergrads at berkeley. They'll make you do silly stuff, but it is a good place to network and build your connections, it is also a good place to get some practical business training. I donno how the AKPsi chapter are in UK, here at Cal they have workshops, seminars, other events and also their own inhouse non-profit consulting team. Great resume builder i would think...

Good post - thanks.
Reply 21
Tednol
The old boys network allows the successful to stay successful and keep it within the family/friend/social group. In that respect, it is very useful for the business leaders.

It can only be criticised on ideological grounds. But everything can be criticised on ideological grounds.

Whatever way you look at it, ideologically or not, it's an unfair system.
Reply 22
Elle
Whatever way you look at it, ideologically or not, it's an unfair system.

Do you think it'll ever change, or indeed that it is changing?
Reply 23
Tednol
Do you think it'll ever change, or indeed that it is changing?

I do think its changing, but definatley not as fast as it should be. Mainly because people don't acknowledge it exists. To some extent its human nature to want to help out those you are close to, so I think that there should be checks to balance this out.

So have you decided whether to join the fraternity?
Reply 24
Elle
I do think its changing, but definatley not as fast as it should be. Mainly because people don't acknowledge it exists. To some extent its human nature to want to help out those you are close to, so I think that there should be checks to balance this out.

So have you decided whether to join the fraternity?

When the people at the top are the very people that make the so called network exist, will it ever cease to exist? It is in their best interests to keep it.

Regards joining it... I might. Still not sure.
Reply 25
Tednol
When the people at the top are the very people that make the so called network exist, will it ever cease to exist? It is in their best interests to keep it.

Regards joining it... I might. Still not sure.

Fair point, but I would argue that its not in their best interests because they want an employee with the best ability. Although It is in their nature to chose someone they already know. That's why its up to the government and not the people at the very top to monitor these employments and change them accordingly (i.e positive discrimination).

Latest

Trending

Trending