are there any one year Master programmes one can take to help them into IB? Watch

footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
say if u do a history degree are there any one year courses either here or in the states that one can take straight after graduating to make it easier to work in finance
dontmesswithme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oxford's Masters in Financial Economics ?
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
or LSE's Masters in Accounting and Finance?
CityMonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Part III Maths, Cambridge.

I'm sure they'll be really keen on historians.:p:
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
how easy is it to get onto these courses from a durham history degree provided you do well in it, i.e get a first or a high 2.1
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Durham's a great uni, and with a first, your chances are pretty darn good I have to say.
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Durham's a great uni, and with a first, your chances are pretty darn good I have to say.
How would a Durham maths student stand up copmpared to other applicants if they have a 1st ot 2:1?
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We're not talking about postgrad here, are we? And what calibre of applicants are we talking about?
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But accounting/finance maters usually expect you to have a maths/science undergrad degree right?
Big4Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Along with the obvious ones (LSE, Oxbridge), I would highly recommend CASS - City University's one-year courses in Finance, Risk Mgmt etc, which has an excellent rate at getting people into IB. Every top bank will have people in the front office who did a 1yr Masters at CASS.
dontmesswithme
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by CitigroupTrader)
Along with the obvious ones (LSE, Oxbridge), I would highly recommend CASS - City University's one-year courses in Finance, Risk Mgmt etc, which has an excellent rate at getting people into IB. Every top bank will have people in the front office who did a 1yr Masters at CASS.
would you say Bath Uni + year in industry with Masters in Finance from CASS can land me an interview ?
Big4Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah. For people yet to go to uni I'd avoid such routes though - it means 2 extra years before being able to enter graduate employment (the year in industry and MSc). What you're earning age 23 is what others will be earning age 21, whilst others your age will be on 6 figures!
jeffreyweingard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So doing a one-year masters in finance will increase the chances of an Arts graduate wanting to go into IB? Is it worth doing a two-year master instead of a one-year master?
ElWilson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yet - many Finance/Accounting masters require an Economics/Maths/Quantative background, if you're a History grad - I think you are required to take the diploma first and then the Masters (2 year Masters)

P.S is this the same for people with a Joint honours (one of which being Eco)
ElWilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/masters/c...ent/term1.html

this course looks quite good.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ElWilson)
Yet - many Finance/Accounting masters require an Economics/Maths/Quantative background, if you're a History grad - I think you are required to take the diploma first and then the Masters (2 year Masters)

P.S is this the same for people with a Joint honours (one of which being Eco)
That probably depends on the degree programme itself and the university.

If you're referring to one of LSE's joint programmes, then as CitigroupTrader implied in another thread, it's not necessary.
ElWilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Even if you are an aspiring Equities/Fixed Income trader?
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ElWilson)
Even if you are an aspiring Equities/Fixed Income trader?
Ask him, I don't know TBH. Just seems silly to be missing out on so much $$$ (even if it's just a year), when you could still be making good money in another front office job, which is "as good as it gets".
defiantshrimp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
Ask him, I don't know TBH. Just seems silly to be missing out on so much $$$ (even if it's just a year), when you could still be making good money in another front office job, which is "as good as it gets".
To be honest it is just a year, if you had an intellectual interest in a subject why not study it? Not everything is about getting a job or making money We are all in are early twenties with a working life of 50+ years ahead of us, a year will make little difference. It's a matter of taste really.
ElWilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
50+ for Banking?

Most Bankers are on their 5th affair by then.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.81%
No (661)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (224)
20.55%

Watched Threads