Female circumcision Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
What is your opinion on female circumcision? Why can some people not see that it is entirely barbaric? (Well in my opinion, I think it is.) I read that on the night of the woman's marriage, she is cut open and then SHE IS SEWN CLOSED AGAIN TO SECURE FIDELITY TO THE HUSBAND! Why are women treated in this way? Men are just as likely to be unfaithful (if not more) and they don't go through something as bad as that. I think everyone should be free to do what they want and with who they want, even if infidelity is a very selfish and wrong thing to do, I believe that people shouldn't have to go through such a procedure.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh gross me out. I feel the paiiinnnn. It's like men always get the women to have a tubectomy rather than go for a vasectomy themselves so they can still sleep around but the woman can no longer bear children. Detestable.
warranty-ideal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's barbaric, either sewing it up or cutting off the clit. It even happens to girls born here if their family make them!
sophisti_kate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And it is far more painful than male circumscion, leads to never ending problems and can decrease fertility etc etc - absolutely barbaric
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What is your opinion on female circumcision? Why can some people not see that it is entirely barbaric? (Well in my opinion, I think it is.) I read that on the night of the woman's marriage, she is cut open and then SHE IS SEWN CLOSED AGAIN TO SECURE FIDELITY TO THE HUSBAND! Why are women treated in this way? Men are just as likely to be unfaithful (if not more) and they don't go through something as bad as that. I think everyone should be free to do what they want and with who they want, even if infidelity is a very selfish and wrong thing to do, I believe that people shouldn't have to go through such a procedure.
Slightly pointless thread isn't it? I doubt you're going to get much of a debate as I'd imagine everyone will agree with you!

Male circumcision- that's worth debating.
pendragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sophisti_kate)
And it is far more painful than male circumscion, leads to never ending problems and can decrease fertility etc etc - absolutely barbaric
Yes it is disgusting and barbaric bodily mutilation, that is child abuse given that a girl cannot possibly consent. It is also definitely much worse than male circumcistion, but male circumcistion is also barbaric child abuse that should also be banned; except in highly exceptional cases it does not have a shred of medical justification, yet not many people condem it because it is a religious practice for many Jews and Muslims. All of this stuff makes me sick and angry.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
That is awful, why on earth would you do that to your wife/daughter.
Duck and Cover
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by strawberry)
oh gross me out. I feel the paiiinnnn. It's like men always get the women to have a tubectomy rather than go for a vasectomy themselves so they can still sleep around but the woman can no longer bear children. Detestable.
Thats not actually true...
jessicat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh my god.
that makes me feel so creeped out.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Duck and Cover)
Thats not actually true...
that's in general. there are people like that
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't agree with any type of circumcision male or female (unless in the male it is carried out for health reasons. I feel that the parents are forcing a cultural belief onto their children which the child may grow up to totally disagree with. Yes female circumcision is more life threatening and painful so it is right that is outlawed but I don't see why it is acceptable for people to do the same to boys. I can't think of anything else where it is acceptable to chop off a part of a childs body so why this.
Lucky_8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oooo no! that would be sooo painful! I think its wrong that girls are forced to have it done, I mean if you want it then ok, but I cant think of anyone who would. Isn't it better for men to hav a vesectomy (sp?), as that is reversible? I didnt think a womens was?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think you'll seriously find anyone on here who thinks it's ok in any way. It's the education and culture in the tribes that practice it that needs to be challenged - I'm sure their men wouldn't like it if we got a pair of rusty scissors and hacked off the head of their penis (which is the equivalent of clitoral removal which girls have to undergo).
bluedreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It was probably started by a control freak gone mad. Highly disturbing.
slk999
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't think you'll seriously find anyone on here who thinks it's ok in any way. It's the education and culture in the tribes that practice it that needs to be challenged - I'm sure their men wouldn't like it if we got a pair of rusty scissors and hacked off the head of their penis (which is the equivalent of clitoral removal which girls have to undergo).
It is!?? Ouch- I thought it was only the foreskin?
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
A lot of tribes perform male circumcision in the same conditions and they're expected to not flinch at all as it's a sign of weakness. There are also certain tribes who knock out the two front teeth in adolescent boys as part of their cultural beliefs. Not all these practices are aimed soley at women.

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about them as it's very hard to step outside my own cultural upbringing which is very different. I certainly don't think anyone with a western (and therefore entirely different- and usually completely ignorant) outlook is qualified to tell other people how to live. I'd feel slightly hypocritical if I didn't extend that belief to areas such as female circumcision although that's such an extreme case so hmmm, not entirely sure how I feel about it.

RE someone saying circumcision is forcing beliefs onto a child that they may reject as adults- I think one of the fundamental parts of most (if not all) religions is that you raise your children according to the teachings of that religion including baptism, circumcision, and whatever else. It is therefore very difficult to use that argument against circumcision as it's contradictory.

I'd also like to point out that female circumcision is still legal in many American states and was fairly widely practised there into the 1950s.
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, and something else to think about: some cultures still have eunuch colonies/cults.

And also, what's the difference between circumcision and sex change operations? Should we allow men to have their penises removed if female circumcision is illegal in this country? Is it different because it's consensual?
sssh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about them as it's very hard to step outside my own cultural upbringing which is very different. I certainly don't think anyone with a western (and therefore entirely different- and usually completely ignorant) outlook is qualified to tell other people how to live. I'd feel slightly hypocritical if I didn't extend that belief to areas such as female circumcision although that's such an extreme case so hmmm, not entirely sure how I feel about it.
I see you're trying to take into account the Western ignorance/misunderstanding perspective, but even so I don't think you can justify bodily mutilation on the grounds that it's part of 'their' culture.

RE someone saying circumcision is forcing beliefs onto a child that they may reject as adults- I think one of the fundamental parts of most (if not all) religions is that you raise your children according to the teachings of that religion including baptism, circumcision, and whatever else. It is therefore very difficult to use that argument against circumcision as it's contradictory..
Baptism is fairly harmless, circumcision is pretty different. It's hard to say that people shouldn't raise their children within the tenets of their particular belief system and not go all the way, but it doesn't make any sense to me that the children don't have any choice.

I'd also like to point out that female circumcision is still legal in many American states and was fairly widely practised there into the 1950s.
:eek:
bluedreamer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
Is it different because it's consensual?
I think it is.

If a woman chooses to have her clit removed, I suppose it’s her choice - I’m all for freedom of choice. But if something goes wrong, does she have the right to run to her doctor to fix it? If she caused it herself? :dontknow: sorry, I'm going off topic
Itsallgood
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bluedreamer)

If a woman chooses to have her clit removed, I suppose it’s her choice - I’m all for freedom of choice.
No woman in their right mind would chose to have their clit removed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (76)
44.97%
Pro-humanity (93)
55.03%

Watched Threads