The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
WokSz
I think starting next year Oxford will be able to see what exams you have retaken. Cambridge has been doing so for a few years now.
I can't speak for Oxford, but I've applied to Cambridge twice (Trinity and Clare), in year 13 and post-A2, and I haven't had to divulge what modules I'd retaken on either occasion. I don't believe they can tell on their own.

They do ask whether you intend to retake any modules. In my opinion, that's only so they know whether to regard the score you give them in the SAQ as final, and perhaps so they can get an idea of the standard you hold yourself to. Half of the information they ask for in that SAQ is survey type stuff anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even looked at in the assessment process.

I'm only speculating, but I can't see why they would look down on resits. It's not as if they make A levels any easier, really. Giving yourself the added pressure of more exams and more work over the same space of time can hardly be called the less-capable-student's easy way out. It all piles up in the end.
Robert602
Half of the information they ask for in that SAQ is survey type stuff anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even looked at in the assessment process.

If you get 8A*s and over 90% UMS at AS Level then you get pooled so they would have to look at it for that. I can say with definite certainty that they looked at my UMS marks, but I wouldn't say that they were a deciding factor in the decision.
Reply 22
I'm sure they do look at UMS marks, I was thinking specifically of the 'intend to resit?' column next to it. They probably look at that too, to be honest, but I doubt it really factors in to their decision, at least not to the extent that it's worth lying about.
Reply 23
Robert602
I can't speak for Oxford, but I've applied to Cambridge twice (Trinity and Clare), in year 13 and post-A2, and I haven't had to divulge what modules I'd retaken on either occasion. I don't believe they can tell on their own.

They do ask whether you intend to retake any modules. In my opinion, that's only so they know whether to regard the score you give them in the SAQ as final, and perhaps so they can get an idea of the standard you hold yourself to. Half of the information they ask for in that SAQ is survey type stuff anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even looked at in the assessment process.

I'm only speculating, but I can't see why they would look down on resits. It's not as if they make A levels any easier, really. Giving yourself the added pressure of more exams and more work over the same space of time can hardly be called the less-capable-student's easy way out. It all piles up in the end.

Are you joking? The mosy obvious example to demonstrate that resits have the opposite effect to what you are saying iis modern languages exams. The very fact that you can resit these is revolting. Get rid of resits in all subjects, and watch the number of A graded A levels shoot down from over 1 in 5 to about 1 in 10 overnight. Just f**king watch what happens. You can train a monkey to use a typewriter if it goes over it enough. The amount of people ive seen who got Cs in french and spanish AS and were **** at languages, unable to get more than a D in the A2 exam, who resat the AS until they got 280 or 290 out of 300 is truly sickening.
two admission officers came to my college for an 'oxbridge talk' and they said that one or two resits were fine because they understood that sometimes, for whatever reason, peole just don't perform as well as they could. however, they also said they would be a bit suspicious if you were doing a whole bunch of resits and that if you were the kind of person who was really struggling to get all As, you're probably not Oxbridge material
Niccolo
Are you joking? The mosy obvious example to demonstrate that resits have the opposite effect to what you are saying iis modern languages exams. The very fact that you can resit these is revolting. Get rid of resits in all subjects, and watch the number of A graded A levels shoot down from over 1 in 5 to about 1 in 10 overnight. Just f**king watch what happens. You can train a monkey to use a typewriter if it goes over it enough. The amount of people ive seen who got Cs in french and spanish AS and were **** at languages, unable to get more than a D in the A2 exam, who resat the AS until they got 280 or 290 out of 300 is truly sickening.

Modern Languages are a cumulative subject therefore sitting AS exams in Year 12 are a waste of time anyway, because obviously you will be better in year 13. At my school we were advised to resit AS modules even if your score was already quite high because you are bound to do better with another 6 months exposure to the language. I would say get rid of AS in Modern languages not resits!
Reply 26
rachel-linguist
Modern Languages are a cumulative subject therefore sitting AS exams in Year 12 are a waste of time anyway, because obviously you will be better in year 13. At my school we were advised to resit AS modules even if your score was already quite high because you are bound to do better with another 6 months exposure to the language. I would say get rid of AS in Modern languages not resits!

But then how would the unis get an idea of the progress youd made, how well you had dealt with work that is much harder than the ridiculous GCSE exams in languages? Also, what would happen in year 13? would you just do twice the amount of A2 level stuff (sounds good to me, actually) and none of the comparitively easy AS material, thus meaning about 3% of students get an A grade? If you didnt have this approach, then you would end up with a whole section of AS difficulty stuff that is giving away marks because everyone would be guaranteed an A in it.
I dont understand what the fuss is about. I plan to resit a few papers (if I can be bothered) and why not if i can go in there without any revision and get an extra few marks? I'm not going to get C's or D's if I dont resit them, and I didnt get Cs or Ds originally - I just want 100% just for self-satisfaction. And it gets you in the right frame of mind for the A2s and AEAs, by skimming over last years work. However, having heard what you've all said, maybe its not worth retaking two papers for an extra 20 odd marks (about 3% of an Alevel)? My teacher thinks I should (not at all because they think itll make a grade or two difference), but because she thinks I could’ve gotten a 100% last year, and judging by how much they scale up marks and my other paper’s results, she probably isnt wrong. And loads of people in my school retake to get 100% - its kind of customary.

AGGHH, you guys mess with peoples heads! Now I don’t know what to do!
rachel-linguist

I totally agree. I got As last year but I'm still retaking a module, it's not like I'm killing anyone :rolleyes:
Reply 29
leannemann
I totally agree. I got As last year but I'm still retaking a module, it's not like I'm killing anyone :rolleyes:

Same here, but my teacher has told us that if we didn't get 100%, we're resitting:rolleyes:
Anyway everyone who resat AS Spanish last year either got worse or hardly improved, so you're not guarenteed to improve. And I really don't think that someone who was only capable of a D at AS would be able to get 280/300 the next year:confused:
paddy357
Anyway everyone who resat AS Spanish last year either got worse or hardly improved, so you're not guarenteed to improve. And I really don't think that someone who was only capable of a D at AS would be able to get 280/300 the next year:confused:

Exactly. One girl in my class went from an E to a C with 2 resits, but then one boy stayed on an E and in one of the exams, he actually did worse than he did the first time! That just shows that, even in languages, if you don't put the effort in to a resit, you won't do any better. I have to say though, I do think it's ridiculous that some schools encourage students to resit unless they get 100%! At the end of the day, an A is an A and no univeristy makes offers based on UMS marks, so what's the point of doing resits to get 100% when you could have stuck with 85% and still got the same grade?
Reply 31
kellywood_5
Exactly. One girl in my class went from an E to a C with 2 resits, but then one boy stayed on an E and in one of the exams, he actually did worse than he did the first time! That just shows that, even in languages, if you don't put the effort in to a resit, you won't do any better. I have to say though, I do think it's ridiculous that some schools encourage students to resit unless they get 100%! At the end of the day, an A is an A and no univeristy makes offers based on UMS marks, so what's the point of doing resits to get 100% when you could have stuck with 85% and still got the same grade?

It's so that they can point and say 'well our students got an average of 99.9999999999%':rolleyes:
However I'm very thankful that I can resit my Latin language paper:biggrin:
Reply 32
paddy357
Same here, but my teacher has told us that if we didn't get 100%, we're resitting:rolleyes:

I was in a dreadful school/spanish class and two people on Ds at AS went to Bs and, 4 Cs went up to As by resitting twice. One C went up to 290, which was better than what i got first time round without any resitting, 280. In the A2 section this person got 158/300, which im sure is a D. I got 290. The whole thing is a pisstake. So your approximations of what can and cannot be done are glaringly flawed. Imagine waht can be done in a decent private school with a good spanish/french department if this is what happens where I was!
Niccolo
One C went up to 290, which was better than what i got first time round without any resitting, 280.

Should have retaken lots, you could have beaten them.
Niccolo
I was in a dreadful school/spanish class and two people on Ds at AS went to Bs and, 4 Cs went up to As by resitting twice. One C went up to 290, which was better than what i got first time round without any resitting, 280. In the A2 section this person got 158/300, which im sure is a D. I got 290. The whole thing is a pisstake. So your approximations of what can and cannot be done are glaringly flawed. Imagine waht can be done in a decent private school with a good spanish/french department if this is what happens where I was!

Out of curiosity, why do you think you did better at A2 than AS? Surely A2 is harder?
Reply 35
leannemann
Should have retaken lots, you could have beaten them.

lol, you have a good sense of ironic humour, but in all seriousness, it is cheapening school education, you cant really deny it. Getting a low to middle A and wanting to improve it is a whole different ball game to getting a C and then basically being able to gain a decent grade via resitting in a subject you are crap at. That amounts to nothing more than deception, or fraud, in my opinion.
Niccolo
lol, you have a good sense of ironic humour, but in all seriousness, it is cheapening school education, you cant really deny it. Getting a low to middle A and wanting to improve it is a whole different ball game to getting a C and then basically being able to gain a decent grade via resitting in a subject you are crap at. That amounts to nothing more than deception, or fraud, in my opinion.

How is someone who scraped an A and resat to get full marks any different to someone who got a high C and resat to scrape an A? Sure, the first person did better both times, but they're being equally deceptive or fraudulent.
Reply 37
kellywood_5
Out of curiosity, why do you think you did better at A2 than AS? Surely A2 is harder?

Yeah it is, but i worked harder because i had a cambridge offer to meet, i guess. I also like spanish literature and films and watched (and still do) as many as i can in spare time. I spent the summer in Barca (after AS levels) as well. All these things contribute. I guess the real difference is actually being interested in the subject as a hobby (i know this sounds sad) as opposed to just regarding it as you might regard employment, ie it is boring and crap but it has to be done.
Reply 38
kellywood_5
How is someone who scraped an A and resat to get full marks any different to someone who got a high C and resat to scrape an A? Sure, the first person did better both times, but they're being equally deceptive or fraudulent.

Because theyre still in the general field of an A arent they?
Reply 39
Also, i was a little s**t when i was in lower school, and had a crap level of spanish after the GCSE startign AS level. I had a hell of a lot of work to catch up on to be anywhere near a decent linguist. For the A2, this was already sort of in place.

Latest

Trending

Trending