Economics A Level - Good or Bad? Watch

Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Like some unis don't like you taking Law at A Level to do Law at uni, do any unis not like Economics to be taken at A Level as I was planning to do it.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's a perfectly good and traditional 'A' level subject. Certainly not blacklisted unlike subjects like Law and Business Studies, or even Accounting.
Purple
Report 12 years ago
A lot of people that apply for Economics have an A Level in Economics, it is fairly respected and not blacklisted. Go for it, but if you want to do Economics at uni make sure you do Maths
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good advice. Doing Further Maths will help also if you plan to do your economics degree at a place like Cambridge, LSE, or UCL (!). Not a requirement by any means though.
Inflation
Rep:
?
Great news, I do Economics at GCSE as well, and will do Maths for sure.
Not sure about Further Maths, as I will have to complete my whole maths A2 in one year.
ba_ba1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ashmufc)
Not sure about Further Maths, as I will have to complete my whole maths A2 in one year.
yes but you will have double the amount of lessons and single maths wasnt that hard apart from some stuff in p3.
N9ne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Further Maths isn't as scary as people think. Go for it .
iamgenius
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
what does one mean by 'blacklisted'. i do accounting and an interest in leeds, aston and loughborugh. will the fact i do accounting affect my chances of getting into said unis??
Purple
Report 12 years ago
What are your other subjects?
Inflation
Rep:
?
Chemistry
History
Economics
Critical Thinking

All provisional, and I could change but 80% sure on them.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by iamgenius)
what does one mean by 'blacklisted'. i do accounting and an interest in leeds, aston and loughborugh. will the fact i do accounting affect my chances of getting into said unis??
Not sure about those universities, but *generally* the following subjects are "frowned" upon:

* Accounting
* Art and Design
* Business Studies
* Communication Studies
* Dance
* Design and Technology
* Drama/Theatre Studies
* Home Economics
* Information and Communication Technology
* Law
* Media Studies
* Sports Studies

This is based on a list published by LSE.
iamgenius
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
What are your other subjects?
economics and psych:confused:
Theorist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by N9ne)
Further Maths isn't as scary as people think. Go for it .
It's definitely not a walk in the park, though. If you're someone who scrapes by in Maths, don't do it, in my opinion. It is manageable for reasonably good students but it will definitely be challenging to even the brightest mathematicians. But if you're up for that sort of stuff, definitely go for it. It's the hardest A level you can do, but consequently the most rewarding (at university - lots of Economics undergraduates say that either Further Maths helped them in the initial learning process or they wish they'd taken Further Maths). So, if you're up for a challenge and willing to put in the hard work, go for it.

Sen
Inflation
Rep:
?
Well I'm in the top band in my school for maths (grammar school). and in Year 11 we spend the whole year doing OCR Additional Maths, basically A Level stuff. Pretty hard at first, but then its easy. So it should be easier for me in Yr12 if I choose to do my Maths A2 in the first year.
Theorist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm in the same boat as you, except this year I'm doing C1 and D1 (boring!). If you're in the top band at your school, then you should aim for Further Maths AS, if not, full Further Maths. There's no doubt that you'll be good enough for the Further Maths AS (for which you only have to do one module beyond the difficulty of A level Maths).

Sen
paddy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Chemistry
History
Economics
Critical Thinking

All provisional, and I could change but 80% sure on them.
Chemistry, Economics and History are all academic subjects, don't worry they're perfectly suitable, plus cover a wid range. Critical thinking isn't bad, but you'd be better off just doing it for AS.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Damm, I have taken Business Studies along with Economics,History and English.
You think having took BS, will hinder my applications for..
Central Lancs
Manchester
Liverpool
City
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think BS is fine for those universities.. besides, you have 3 other credible subjects.
Inflation
Rep:
?
(Original post by paddy357)
Critical thinking isn't bad, but you'd be better off just doing it for AS.
Yeah, I am doing it jsut for AS.
N9ne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To clarify: the blacklist is only for LSE. Most other universities will accept most subjects. Yes, they're not preferred subjects, but only LSE disregard them all completely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (541)
80.27%
Leave (133)
19.73%

Watched Threads