The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ditto:biggrin:
Reply 41
When I was doing it, it certainly didn't seem that way. But on hindsight, I guess it was.

No, I won't go into the debate about Singapore's papers being tougher, heh.
Reply 42
I took that as a given.
Bet you wouldn't have called A level maths a joke when you were 4 years old :p:

The value of Economics at A level is that it introduces you to economic thinking which is very important. Because some clever people really just "don't get it". Also introduces you to quite a reasonable portion of the things you study at undergrad degree.

Just that you do it at A level with minimal depth and zip all rigour.
Reply 44
And also doing at A Level may sort of help you decide if you want to do it at degree level. I am doing Economics at GCSE and so far I enjoy it.
ashmufc
And also doing at A Level may sort of help you decide if you want to do it at degree level. I am doing Economics at GCSE and so far I enjoy it.

I assure you, you have no grasp, whatsoever, of what economics is like by doing the GCSE.
Reply 46
Yeah I kinda understood that by reading the above posts :smile:
My A levels are Economics, Maths and Computing. And i have an AS in Physics. Do you think i would have had better chances of getting into top unis for L100 if i didnt do Computing? I am predicted AAA and have a B in AS Physics. I got rejected by LSE, Warwick and Oxford.
I think the rejection by LSE is definately explained by the computing A Level.
Reply 49
__WiZaRD__
My A levels are Economics, Maths and Computing. And i have an AS in Physics. Do you think i would have had better chances of getting into top unis for L100 if i didnt do Computing? I am predicted AAA and have a B in AS Physics. I got rejected by LSE, Warwick and Oxford.

Maybe, I guess we are not the people to answer that question... I got rejected by all my unis except LSE with 14A* and 7A at AS:rolleyes:
alexeynechaev
Maybe, I guess we are not the people to answer that question... I got rejected by all my unis except LSE with 14A* and 7A at AS:rolleyes:

I would guess that your PS was ****.
Reply 51
I work as a student ambassador for UCL. Basically I'm the student at the careers fairs who gives you advice over what subjects you need, and what grades. I also go into schools etc to advise people on A Level subjects.

Unlike alot of people here Im not speaking out of what I think is right, but what actually is right as I have been trained specifically by UCL to answer these exact kind of questions (and if I was saying the wrong stuff id be told to not come back)

Economics is a perfectly fine A level to do if you want to get into UCL. Although I dont think theres "a black list" at UCL (or if there is I havent seen it) generally the more traditional your A Levels are the better chance you have. However i know tons of people who have 2 traditional subjects and something like Textiles, so you are not completely screwed if you have made 1 bad choice.

If anyone has any more questions just PM me. Bear in mind im not actually talking here in my role as a rep from UCL so dont complain if I dont reply for ages.
Reply 52
As I have mentioned on MSN, I am a little young, which ment that I could not apply to Cambridge, for example. My personal statement was very good according to the feedback from my school's director of studies- and they do make sure that is the case, to be honest.
So what is your theory behind having top grades, an allegedly good PS and getting rejected by 5 unis?
14 A*s is a helluva feat... well done. How you got rejected by everywhere except LSE seems mysterious... but i'm only in lower 6th... so how would I know anything eh?
Reply 55
President_Ben
So what is your theory behind having top grades, an allegedly good PS and getting rejected by 5 unis?

I really have no clue, lol. I am Russian:p: so it may be they just don't like me for that, lmao... I have no idea. All teachers who had ever taught me were certain that I would get in to Oxbridge not only due to my academic standards but also to the extracurricular stuff I do, but well... The Oxford rejection is to some extent understandable, since I was always wanting to apply for pure economics in Cambridge, but in late September the college I was hoping to apply to said that it could not longer make an exception, and there were only another 2 that said that they would even look at my application, also mentioning that I would be at a disadvantage due to my age. Hence I applied to PPE, and it may have well come through in my interviews that I do not actually want to do Philosophy or Politics that much:p:... As for the other universities, there is no explanation.
There is always an explanation. Be interested to see your PS.
Reply 57
If you got through to the interviews then your personal statement wouldnt be the problem. Sounds more like you just dont interview well (which is understandable if you are young)
Reply 58
President_Ben
There is always an explanation. Be interested to see your PS.

I will PM it to you, once I set up my laptop to work on the internet, rather than through my friends tunnel. By the way, as far as I understand you are studying in uni, are you not?
Reply 59
Ashman
If you got through to the interviews then your personal statement wouldnt be the problem. Sounds more like you just dont interview well (which is understandable if you are young)

Maybe- they did say that they would like me to reapply... But I cannot, because I can't afford to withdraw from LSE- if I do, I will be conscripted to the Russian Army for 3 years:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending