Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would this stand me in good stead to be accepted by a top law firm....does it make a difference in terms of acceptance whether I did a His degree rather than a law degree?

What would happen if I was accepted....how many years converting/training?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    A degree and awarding University is only relevant if your degree result will make a law firm notice you. If you go and get a third from LSE then no, you'll get nowhere.

However, as should be pretty obvious I would have thought, a good degree from LSE (great institution) in History (generally liked and respected subject) will put you in good stead, yes.

Generally law firms tend to recruit similar amounts of law and non-law graduates; so a History degree of its own volition shouldn't hamper your chances. As I said before though, you will need a good result - i.e. 2(i) or 1st.

If you did History and were given a Training Contract by a law firm (this would happen in the final year of your degree), you would then have to spend an extra year doing the 'conversion course' - CPE - which covers the 7 foundational legal subjects that need to be passed in order to go into legal practice. After that you would be in the same position as an LLB graduate (so then 1 year LPC, 2 year Training Contract).

Main things to bear in mind when not doing Law as an undergraduate:
    - extra cost of CPE (and potential lost earnings as it's another year of study)
    - intensive nature of the CPE itself (7 modules is tough going)
    - only really worthwhile if either you can't/don't want to do Law itself (in which case will a law firm be interested later?); or really want to do another subject (History).

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Your point about whether a law firm would be interested later....are u saying that doing His makes me look too disinterested in law ("in which case will a law firm be interested later?") to be considered by a firm?

ReputationRep:
    No! Read my initial post again...

IF the reason for not doing a degree in Law is because you think you'll dislike the subject/not be good at it/will find it boring/won't get to party 24-7... or whatever,

...then...

Consider the possibility that you will feel exactly the same after finishing your non-Law degree, in which case, will a firm with 500 applicants for 6 training contracts pick up on this and seriously question your motivation for the subject?

Overall, it's far too early to be considering the CPE *if* the reason for you wanting to do History is because you don't want to do Law.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.