This discussion is closed.
Tori96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm currently studying for my AS levels (English literature, history, psychology and Biology) but I'm thinking about going to med school. Somebody mentioned that you can do and extra year at med school to make up for the lack of a chemistry A level, can you really do this?:confused::confused:
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nope, chemistry is essential(from what I've heard)
daniya12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it is a requirement for most Universities that a medical applicant do Chemistry as an A level, maybe some don't? check the requirements for some Unis, see what subjects they require- this should answer your question. I dont know about the extra year, but I believe Chemistry is most definitely required, at least at the majority of unis
Have you just started AS, maybe its not too late to switch one of your subjects for Chemistry (not Biology), you'd have some catch up work to do, but not too much.
If you are thinking about changing your choices, do it quick, as later on it will be to late to change it
1overcosc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A few places ask for biology OR chemistry (I know Newcastle do this) and this is the usual A100 5 year course there is also a medicine degree with a foundation year but I don't know if they are for people with no science A Levels or if you are allowed one
emma3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chemistry is essential. You're not too far into your first year, so I'd say pick up Chemistry for a bit, see if you like it (and can hack it) - If not, then drop it and forget med school. If you do like it, I'd pick it up and then drop psychology or something
Ingenting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can do a foundation year at some medical schools, but from what I've heard they're for people with arts A-levels, but you might still be elegible. I don't know which ones do this, but it's a minority, and places are usually very limited, so I would do what others have said and try to pick up chemistry now, before it's too late.
SeanFranks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From what i've seen when looking for myself, chemistry is essential, biology is also essential for most places, but some say it can be dropped at AS level, whereas chemistry can't. I think chemistry has more importance than biology. I know someone who got an A at a level chemistry, yet dropped out of med school because they found the chemistry too difficult, so it would be a huge struggle without it. But you could do graduate entry medicine, by going to get a degree(2:1 or a firsts) and then doing a 4 year med course. This is as competitive as normal medicine, if not slightly more competitive, but is certainly possible!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB525
MAR1A
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have just picked my A-levels. Althought, I'm still scared I won't be able to do medicine? I've chosen the following:
maths
biology
physics
psychology

- I know you need chemistry but I got a C and my college didn't allow it. However, I am aware some Unis let you do it due to the foundation year.
Please tell me if I'm incorrect...
HelpTheInnocent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MAR1A)
I have just picked my A-levels. Althought, I'm still scared I won't be able to do medicine? I've chosen the following:
maths
biology
physics
psychology

- I know you need chemistry but I got a C and my college didn't allow it. However, I am aware some Unis let you do it due to the foundation year.
I don't think they'll let you do Medicine with a foundation year since you've got 3 Sciences -Maths/Biology/Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1248243
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MAR1A)
maths
biology
physics
psychology

I'll be blunt here, chemistry is essential in medicine and for becoming a doctor. Try to take it privately if you really want to, or convince your college you really really want to do it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (17)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (30)
11.03%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (31)
11.4%
Lack of purpose or motivation (41)
15.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (16)
5.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (11)
4.04%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (27)
9.93%
Financial worries (17)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.31%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.21%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (31)
11.4%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (19)
6.99%

Watched Threads