Benzene rings! Watch

Srathmore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I have a question.

How come benzene has a delocalised electron system - even though all the electrons are bonded?
stratomaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Each carbon has a spare p-orbital. These overlap sideways to form pie-bonds (which are rings of delocalised electrons, one above the plane and one below the plane).
Srathmore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by stratomaster)
Each carbon has a spare p-orbital. These overlap sideways to form pie-bonds (which are rings of delocalised electrons, one above the plane and one below the plane).
DO you mean that a p orbital has 2 electrons?
But all the electronsa re bonded :confused:
Fly.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Srathmore)
I have a question.

How come benzene has a delocalised electron system - even though all the electrons are bonded?

Being delocalised doesn't imply that the electrons are in some way non-bonding. It just means that the bonding molecular orbitals are spread over a larger number of atoms, in this case six. All six delocalised electrons occupy bonding orbitals in benzene.
sea tea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
each carbon atom forms three bonds (two c-c bonds, one c-h). the spare electrons in the pz orbitals, which each carbon in the ring possesses, are then delocalised across one set of molecular orbitals, which contains 6 electrons, and has numerous lobes, one above and below the ring, and possibly others (i'm not sure...).
Fly.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sea tea)
each carbon atom forms three bonds (two c-c bonds, one c-h). the spare electrons in the pz orbitals, which each carbon in the ring possesses, are then delocalised across one huge molecular orbital, which contains 6 electrons, and has numerous lobes, one above and below the ring, and possibly others (i'm not sure...).

By the Pauli exclusion principle, an orbital can contain at most two spin unpaired electrons, so there is no 'huge molecular orbital' having six electrons.
sea tea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok, so i phrased it badly. i've edited it. there are six molecular orbitals created by the overlap, the one most commonly seen in textbooks is the one which has a lobe above and below the ring.

three of the molecular orbitals are antibonding, three are bonding. in the lowest energy state, only the threee bonding ones are filled (two spin paired electrons in each).

flux_mag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This question isn't worth a new thread in my opinion, but has anyone found out why OH/CH3 etc groups are 2-4 directing? Chem teacher won't take the time to explain at the moment, and normal sources (wiki, chemguide etc) are equally useless.

Anyone?
charco
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they both increase the electron density at the 2,4 positions (but using different mechanisms - the CH3 is +I and the OH is +M)
Fly.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by flux_mag)
This question isn't worth a new thread in my opinion, but has anyone found out why OH/CH3 etc groups are 2-4 directing? Chem teacher won't take the time to explain at the moment, and normal sources (wiki, chemguide etc) are equally useless.

Anyone?

This can be best understood by considering the resonance structures that can arise by moving electrons around an aromatic ring. Lone electron pairs, such as those of an -OH or Nitro group, increase the electron density in the ortho and para substitution positions and so these sites become more nucleophilic. Groups such as CH3 also direct substitution in the ortho and para positions although for a different reason. In the substitution mechanism one of the carbons adjacent to the substitution site acquires a positive charge which can be stabilised by sigma conjugation from alkyl groups.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (260)
80.5%
Leave (63)
19.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise