The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To the OP- you said starving yourself would work. Yes, it might. But you'll pile all the weight back on and probably more when you begin to eat again, as starving will reduce your metabolism. If you're eating healthily, not consuming too many calories, and exercising enough, then you could go see your dr, see what he says? xx
Reply 21
Perhaps you just have a slow metabolism? How old are you?

regards
--marty
Jesus, you guys are just telling this person to develop an eating disorder. did you not even read the post?

They said that they eat very healthily, even posted what they ate, and exercised regularly. Telling her to do even more exercise and eat even less won't *****ing help.

Right, in reference to your problem. Do you work with calories? Do you understand/use them? You may be eating too little. If so, that will slow down your metabolism, meaning that if you do eat slightly more, your weight will yoyo quite drastically. You should be eating around 1200 minimum to be healthy, to keep your weight balanced.

Other than that, I would only advise going to see a doctor. People often have patches in their life where their weight changes, though, and it will balance itself out soon enough.

Take care, Jo x x x
Reply 23
what exercise do you do
what do you eat?
if you're counting calories, how many a day?
Reply 24
Simulatio
Jesus, you guys are just telling this person to develop an eating disorder. did you not even read the post?

They said that they eat very healthily, even posted what they ate, and exercised regularly. Telling her to do even more exercise and eat even less won't *****ing help.

Right, in reference to your problem. Do you work with calories? Do you understand/use them? You may be eating too little. If so, that will slow down your metabolism, meaning that if you do eat slightly more, your weight will yoyo quite drastically. You should be eating around 1200 minimum to be healthy, to keep your weight balanced.

Other than that, I would only advise going to see a doctor. People often have patches in their life where their weight changes, though, and it will balance itself out soon enough.

Take care, Jo x x x

Isn't the RDA 2000 calories?
Welldone Simulatio! Finally some sensible advice, I was also getting more and more alarmed reading this thread!
It sounds like you eat exceedingly healthily and exercise so much, perhaps as suggested your metabolism has been slowed because of this. Another point is whether it is your weight or body shape you are concerned about? As by going to the gym every week day you are building up muscle pretty efficiently, which is comparatively heavier than fat...
It doesn't sound like you are overweight at all, maybe if none of the above work you should be happy with the person YOU are, as you eat healthily and exercise well, so should be proud of your healthy lifestyle! Do not resort to starving yourself as it is only ever a temporary solution and can cause havoc with (unsure whether m or f?) periods, and when prolonged, can cause problems having kids. Apologies if male, but still not the best of ideas...
Reply 26
bumblebee9
As by going to the gym every week day you are building up muscle pretty efficiently, which is comparatively heavier than fat...

hmm nope
What you need to do is curl one out before you weigh yourself. I usually find that I lose half a stone that way.
John - muscle is heavier than fat.
Its a fact, mate. Look it up.

And the RDA is 2000-2,500kcal, but below 900 is a starvation diet, below 1200 is borderline starvation - the point at which your metabolism slows and you cling on to as much food as your body can.

The amount reccomended to lose wieght is 1200-1750. 1500-2500kcal to maintain.
Of course, these are just general figures - each person is individual, and different body shapes, differnet amounts of exercise, etc.

(Thank you, Bumblebee, as well!)
Reply 29
Simulatio
John - muscle is heavier than fat.
Its a fact, mate. Look it up.

no, it's not.
Reply 30
thats not the main problem, this is:

bumblebee9
As by going to the gym every week day you are building up muscle pretty efficiently,

still, its not heavier, it's DENSER, you silly nitpicker.
Reply 31
No actually 2000 clas a day is a recommended it's not the same for everyone and my basic metabolic rate indicates i should have about 1, 500 kcals a day. I eat about 1000 a day and burn about 400 a day! And i'm not thick i know to lose weight you need to eat less and exercise more BUT MY POINT IS I AM AND IT'S NOT WORKING! I know about portion size and i DO weight everything :-( xxx
Reply 32
if your rate is 1,500 and you do an *extra* 400, and eat 1000, then youre 900 in debt.

that's HUGE, so you're probably wrong about at least one thing you've just mentioned. "about" 1000 to eat, can you give an example of what you think is 1000 calories? And what you do to burn 400?
Reply 33
Ok then, a bowl of all-bran with a piece of fruit, a tin of tuna with salad and a piece of granary bread (no marg), 1 bio yoghurt, 2 cups of tea and 1 piece of haddock with a palm size portion of rice and half a plate of salad (no dressing). Trust me i'm completely obsessed with kcals and keeping healthy i know what goes in and what comes out. Ok in the gym i burn 4-500 kcals on the running machine (25 mins), the cross trainer (20 mins) and cycling (15 mins) if i'm feeling energetic then double it. xx Oh and by the way 'John!!' you use kcalories doing daily activity, the aim isn't to burn off a whole day of food in one gym session, you'd have to be in there all day. You burn that just by doing daily chores and activities xx
So, you're 5 foot 2 and 9 stone odd. You're not exactly fat are you. If you go to the gym 5 times a week then you're going to have some muscle.
Your problem sounds like a mental one to me, you think you're fat when its obviuos your nowhere near. So stop stressing about your weight and livea little, omg- why not eat a chocolate bar!
Anonymous
No actually 2000 clas a day is a recommended it's not the same for everyone and my basic metabolic rate indicates i should have about 1, 500 kcals a day. I eat about 1000 a day and burn about 400 a day! And i'm not thick i know to lose weight you need to eat less and exercise more BUT MY POINT IS I AM AND IT'S NOT WORKING! I know about portion size and i DO weight everything :-( xxx

:banghead:

As I SAID. Your metabolism has probably crashed, eating as little as you do and exercising as much. Eat a bit more.

AND READ MY POST on the previous page. Its so frustrating when you say something and people just don't listen.

And actually, yes, muscle weighs more than fat.
Reply 36
yeah I know, you said you burned 400 calories in a day so I took it to mean that was the extra amount you burnt at the gym.
Reply 37
Simulatio
And actually, yes, muscle weighs more than fat.

it doesn't, twit.
Reply 38
you sound anorexic to me -thinking you are fat, burning more calories than you are putting in and therefore starving yourself, messing with your body and your metabolism.

Apparently green tea speeds up metabolism, perhaps you should try drinking this and gradually increasing what you eat to 1500+ kcals a day.
Reply 39
Simulatio:

what weight more, feathers or lead? try reading the replies before reiterating the same point.

Latest

Trending

Trending