Concentration! Watch

charlotte m
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm in the middle of my A2s this year and have got an offer from the uni I really want to go to.
But I just find it really hard to concentrate and stay focused on my work.
I know I need to work really really hard to get the grades I need and I keep thinking that it's really worth it to work hard to get into uni.
But I just hardly get anything done. I end up having a far too long lunch break or watching music channels or coming online....like now!
How can I stay focused and get lots done?
browny2806
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by charlotte m)
I'm in the middle of my A2s this year and have got an offer from the uni I really want to go to.
I know I need to work really really hard to get the grades I need and I keep thinking that it's really worth it to work hard to get into uni.
But I just hardly get anything done. I end up having a far too long lunch break or watching music channels or coming online....like now!
Best thing i can think of is to get yourself into a learning environment. The best way to study is to go out of your way to do it, that way, when you feel the temptation to do something else other than study you will think twice. For example, im going down the road tommorow to the local library to study, obviously i wont walk allllllll the way back home to watch TV when i could revise instead.

Aswell, set yourself a target for your revision (e.g. i will read and revise 10 pages of my biology notes today) instead of revising on an 'how many hours' basis. The reward at the end of it will be the feeling that you've done the work you set out to do.
XavierTroy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have the same problem... I have Warwick as my first choice and Reading as my back up to study Law. They are both fine universities which should motivate me to no end, yet I'm sat here on freakin' msn and playing Counter Strike while I have English coursework and a Law essay to compelte in front of me. What is more annoy is all the suggestions I've heard are logical and should work, but I just don't do them. This goes beyond laziness and I just feel like murdering myself due to my lack of work ethic. DRAMA!

Plus I don't work well in college or at home, I feel like I'm fighting a lost cause but I know what I need to do, and how to do it... it just isn't coming too easy.
NickiM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Study in short bursts rather than long periods and take regular breaks
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go somewhere quiet like the library to revise. That way, there are no distractions and you can't be tempted to use the Internet, watch TV or listen to music. Write a list of everything you have to do, prioritise it and break it up into small chunks so that after you've completed something, you can take a break as a reward.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by charlotte m)
I know how you feel

(Original post by NickiM)
Study in short bursts rather than long periods and take regular breaks
The short burst bit works (most times), but the regular breaks somehow always exceed my expected time . I've made a timetable for my self, and its interesting to see how I can only follow roughly 20% of it!!! (like right now, I should be doing work, not TSR!!). I play on the guitar and go on the internet way too much. When Im actually doing work its ok, I actually enjoy it :rolleyes:, but the tough part is initially getting your self into it. Also when I get 'into' it, I always exceed my study time . I know what I have to do, but I cannot change my ways :mad:

(Original post by kellywood_5)
Go somewhere quiet like the library to revise.
That actually sounds like a good idea, but I'm too lazy.
NickiM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe set an alarm or something on your phone, or increase the amount of breaks, say you revise for 45 mins, have a 10 minute break, then 45 mins and a 15 minute break.
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh i really cant stay focused either, and its not like i dont care about the exams either cos i cant wait to go to uni! its stupid :rolleyes:
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not the concentration I find bothering me, it's the motivation to actually study :rolleyes:
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
It's not the concentration I find bothering me, it's the motivation to actually study :rolleyes:
it's both for me, so i'm a bit screwed :p:
sandettielightvessel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know where the OP is coming from! The internet is quite a distraction, I have taken to pulling the cat 5 cable out the computer until I've done x amount of revision.
NickiM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, I have to put the laptop in its case, so I don't get distracted.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have 4 computers/laptops in the same room!! It's quite hard not to go on the internet since I study in this room!!
charlotte m
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thank you everyone, that's really helpful! I think going somewhere else, like the library is a really good idea actually. If you're at home, it's so easy to just go off and do other things. Thanks everyone, it's good to know that other people are having the same problems! X X X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads