How do I transfer money into another persons bank account?

Watch
qwerty7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys! This is probably a really stupid question, but I've literally got zero experience with banks, and a google search isn't providing a conclusive answer so if someone could just tell me I'd really appreciate it

I need to put the rent money into my friends account. My bank is the Yorkshire Bank and the account I need to put money in is with Halifax.

I've got his name, his sort code and his account number, is that everything I need? Will there be a charge?

Can I go to Yorkshire bank and sort it all out there or do I need to have the money in cash and go straight to Halifax?

The person I'd usually ask this information from isn't in my life anymore, and I'm kinda embarrassed to ask anyone else because I should really know how to do all this stuff already. If you could help me out I'd appreciate it!
King786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can either go into halifax and put the money into his account or you could do it through online/telephone banking if you have it set up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Transfer it to my account. I will transfer it to theirs.
momanium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Transfer it to my account. I will transfer it to theirs.
You dont happen to know any Nigerian prince's do you? ... :rolleyes:
qwerty7
Rep:
?
(Original post by King786)
You can either go into halifax and put the money into his account or you could do it through online/telephone banking if you have it set up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do I have to take the cash there or is it possible for Halifax to take it out of my bank? Just that it's a lot of money to be carrying around
angrydanmarin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Write a cheque to them.

This really is a question a 5 second google could answer.
qwerty7
Rep:
?
(Original post by angrydanmarin)
Write a cheque to them.

This really is a question a 5 second google could answer.
I don't have a cheque book? It's just a debit card and a savings account.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by qwerty7)
Do I have to take the cash there or is it possible for Halifax to take it out of my bank? Just that it's a lot of money to be carrying around
It depends on them. I had to pay £30 into a friends account. I had to draw out the money and pay it into his account. (Co-op)
angrydanmarin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't have a cheque book? It's just a debit card and a savings account.
Go to the bank and get a chequebook then genius!
hippieglitter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys! This is probably a really stupid question, but I've literally got zero experience with banks, and a google search isn't providing a conclusive answer so if someone could just tell me I'd really appreciate it

I need to put the rent money into my friends account. My bank is the Yorkshire Bank and the account I need to put money in is with Halifax.

I've got his name, his sort code and his account number, is that everything I need? Will there be a charge?

Can I go to Yorkshire bank and sort it all out there or do I need to have the money in cash and go straight to Halifax?

The person I'd usually ask this information from isn't in my life anymore, and I'm kinda embarrassed to ask anyone else because I should really know how to do all this stuff already. If you could help me out I'd appreciate it!
Do you do online banking? I can't really help otherwise, I do everything online. If I were you I would go to Yorkshire bank and ask, they probably get asked that kind of stuff all the time, you have to find out somehow.
King786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It would be easier if you withdrew the money first and then went to halifax

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just transfer the money online.
barb54
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Just transfer the money online.
Well I am just turned 61 so I I too have to learn this: I don't think your answers have been very helpful.

I am going to investigate this BACs thing for my lump sum but I you are going to do this by a weekly/monthly arrangements; firstly register for online and telephone banking with YB (I had to do this so I know it is possible!).

Speak to a real human being and set up a Direct Debit to Halifax.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Please check thread dates before posting.
Mujahid Rizwi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
how to online banking halifax to allied bank pakistan
Philip 77
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I need too pay someone some money from my bank account into there's how do I do that
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Philip 77)
I need too pay someone some money from my bank account into there's how do I do that
Just to let you know, this thread is 6 years old so I’m not sure anyone would get back to you! Something to think about before posting in future.

However... if you have online banking it will usually be an option on there. You will need the receiving account number, sort code and bank name. Alternatively, go into your bank and say “I would like to transfer £X” to this bank account, and present the written details to the cashier. The transfer should be free of charge in most accounts.

I hope that helps you!
Schboy001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello
SmgCozy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's safer that you go to your bank and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed