The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hope you have a nice big bill to pay for speeding on the motorway. Your reckless driving could kill yourself and others. If you wanna speed go to a track.
Reply 21
Ryan
:confused:

There are many road cars that ARE meant for racing.:rolleyes:

Only on a track, not on the public roads. Racing on the public roads is ilegal.
Reply 22
AT82
Innocent young people have to pay stupidly high insurance because of people like you :frown:.

dam rite
Reply 23
KILLER
Can this also happen to a 1990 Toyota MR2?????

Your name may turn out to be somewhat ironic one day in the near future.
Is nobody else frustrated by the fact that they get speeding tickets for going 35 in a 30 yet this guy thinks it is perfectly acceptable to stroll around at 100 and doesnt get caught, :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Ghost that occured to me before as well.

ciderpeter
Is nobody else frustrated by the fact that they get speeding tickets for going 35 in a 30 yet this guy thinks it is perfectly acceptable to stroll around at 100 and doesnt get caught, :rolleyes:

Yeah my dad got cought doing 34mph in a 30 on the way back from my uncles funeral.

People that speed always get what is coming to them, the sad thing is that a lot of innocent people also get caught up in it.
Reply 26
ciderpeter

I am for sure, when there are innocent drivers just straying over the limit getting fines yet this dude thinks he can go 100 does make me feel a bit annoyed - interesting though is if he is insured??

MR2 and 1.6 golf are pricey for young people...
jr2007
I am for sure, when there are innocent drivers just straying over the limit getting fines yet this dude thinks he can go 100 does make me feel a bit annoyed - interesting though is if he is insured??

MR2 and 1.6 golf are pricey for young people...

Fact is that 100 on a motorway is probably *typically* safer than 35 in a built up area. But that's irrelevant, if somebody has to ask why there's smoke coming from there car after going at 100mph then they shouldn't be driving at those sorts of speeds, track or roads.
Reply 28
AT82
Yeah my dad got cought doing 34mph in a 30

There are those who would argue that doing 34 in a 30 is a lot more dangerous than doing 100+ on a motorway...

In a 30mph zone, theres usually much more traffic, including pedestrians. On 70mph roads, there are (usually) no pedestrians, and the roads are designed for higher speeds.
34 in a 30 is the same as doing 78/79 on a motorway...

Its being pedantic giving someone a speeding ticket for those sort of speeds, i will not accept that 4mph can make that much difference to a cars stopping distance, when you think how quickly you can stop at a speed of about 50mph in a well maintained car.
Reply 30
This was an A road not a motorway, for we know the limit could have been 40. A lot of A roads are extremely dangerious as they have lots of twists and bends.
ciderpeter

Its being pedantic giving someone a speeding ticket for those sort of speeds, i will not accept that 4mph can make that much difference to a cars stopping distance, when you think how quickly you can stop at a speed of about 50mph in a well maintained car.

It's simple physics unfortunately. Go check the typical stopping distances from 34 and 30, even in a modern car it makes a sufficient different that could kill somebody.
Reply 32
ciderpeter

According to the Think! commercials that 4/5 mph is the difference between someone living and dying. During 30mph you MUST stick to 30mph, i mean personally i could not live with the guilt of killing a child, but thats just me.

On a deserted motorway at 3am in the morning, where there is no one but yourself, at this point i see no reason why you can't go 100mph+ in a car that is designed do this speed, you are only a danger to yourself.

Besides statistically, motorways are the safest roads anyway, you are more likely to have an accident in town than on a motorway. Its just common sense.

This guy made a mistake, we all do, let up on him!

Graham
Reply 33
AT82
This was an A road not a motorway, for we know the limit could have been 40. A lot of A roads are extremely dangerious as they have lots of twists and bends.

Similarly it could have been an A road with a 70 limit. I can think of a few roads like that where it's just like a motorway with one fewer lane. Certainly safe enough to do 100, if you wanted to.

TBH theres far too much of a focus on speed as a cause of accidents. People think that staying at or below the limit makes them a safe driver. In reality, paying attention to the road is what makes you a good driver. If you do that, you can judge what speed is safe (given the conditions etc), and so whilst sometimes you may be over the limit, at other times you're quite a lot below it. Too many people just think that always (always, even if it's snowing and theres no visibility) sticking to the limit is safe. Thats just not true.
I accept motorways are safer, what i dont accept is that 34mph is a dangerous speed in any area... maybe its just me, the chances of hitting a child at full speed are not likely there will be some reaction time and that is what it all depends on, somebodywith fast reactions could instantly take a car from 34 to 25mph, someone with slow reactions could take a car from 30 to 28 in the same time.... Its all about how good the driver is in my opinion.
Reply 35
ciderpeter
I accept motorways are safer, what i dont accept is that 34mph is a dangerous speed in any area... maybe its just me, the chances of hitting a child at full speed are not likely there will be some reaction time and that is what it all depends on, somebodywith fast reactions could instantly take a car from 34 to 25mph, someone with slow reactions could take a car from 30 to 28 in the same time.... Its all about how good the driver is in my opinion.

And about the conditions. Outside a school at 3:30, with lots of kids about, then even hitting 30 is possibly unsafe, unless theres really good visibility. But at midday on a saturday, with no-one about? That's completely different.
Surely a good driver can judge conditions.... :wink:

Normally outside schools there are temporary 20 limits too remember.
Reply 37
Ryan
:confused:

There are many road cars that ARE meant for racing.:rolleyes:

exactly and i said "made for racing" not "meant for racing". cars that are made for racing are built from the start as if they were meant for racing..e.g. with roll cages and such forth. does the prefix "road" infront of cars mean anything to you? At least AT82 got it.

regards
--marty
Reply 38
30Mph is 30 for a reason. You can stop at relativly short distance at 30 and put simply when a road is at 30 and school is chucking out or you are going down a high street you are processing a hell of a lot of information, a child stepping could be information overload and you have a delayed reaction.

Personally i could never live with myself if i killed a child, but i guess if you know that you could then go right ahead. You are more dangerous than the guy doing 100mph down an A road IMHO. Least if the guy crashed on an A road he would crash into another big metal car. At 30, you crash your big tonne and a half weight travelling at 30, (maybe slightly less if you braked but you could not have seen the child run out between parked cars) straight into a child with no protection. That child has just had a face full of your radiator/bumper, nice. He/She's dead or got permanent damage (Mental/Emotional/Physical) for the REST OF THEIR LIFE. You cock.

Graham
Reply 39
And how much difference is that extra 4mph going to make to your journey time? There are plenty of places I can think of where I think a 30 limit is too low, but I'll stick to it because the difference in time isn't worth the hassle of a ticket or the risk of hitting someone.

Latest

Trending

Trending