Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone please help, looking for a MacLaurin series for x, cant remember if it exists or not. Know you've got sin x, cos x , e^x, etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FionaDutton)
    can someone please help, looking for a MacLaurin series for x, cant remember if it exists or not. Know you've got sin x, cos x , e^x, etc....
    sin(x)=x-(x^3)/3!+(x^5)/5!-.................[(-1)^r][x^(2r+1)/(2r+1)!]
    cos(x)=1-(x^2)/2!+...................+[(-1)^r][(x^2r)/(2r)!]
    e^x=1+x+x^2/2!...................+x^r/r!
    dont know wot ur actually lookin for

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i want to be able to write -x^-2 as a power series.... any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    well............f(x)=-1/x^2 f '(x)=2/(x^3) and f ''(x)=-6/(x^4)
    know f(0)=undifined and f '(0)=undifined and f ''(0)=undifined
    so u cannot use the macularin or taylor series.to be honest i have'nt started p6 yet so maybe some1 who has can help u?

ReputationRep:
    it is 2nd yr degree level maths, was kinda wondering if anyone who hasnt got all this rubbish info had any ideas!

ReputationRep:
    -x^(-2) = 2x^(-2) - 3x^(-2) + 4x^(-2)

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    -x^(-2) = 2x^(-2) - 3x^(-2) + 4x^(-2)

Ben
    Ach - what crap!!!

Sorry!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    from where?!!!!!!!! got to prove it....

ReputationRep:
    from where?!!!!!!!! got to prove it....
    Just stick it in the usual formula for a Taylor series - not a Maclaurin. You can't expand about a = 0.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Just stick it in the usual formula for a Taylor series - not a Maclaurin. You can't expand about a = 0.

Ben
    f(x) = f(a) + (x - a)f'(a) + [((x - a)^2)f''(a)]/2! + [((x - a)^3)f'''(a)]/3!...

Ben

ReputationRep:
    cant do that, need to use a set formula

ReputationRep:
    cant do that, need to use a set formula
    What do you mean, exactly? Could you give us a better explanation of what you CAN do?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    it is 2nd yr degree level maths, was kinda wondering if anyone who hasnt got all this rubbish info had any ideas!
    rubbish info? well since this is a thread were all levels of maths qu are asked maybe u should say its 2nd yr degree level..........

ReputationRep:
    I've had an idea. It probably won't work but it might - I haven't got time to try. You need the Maclaurin series for -(1/(x^2))...it has to be about a=0 because this is what makes the series a Maclaurin.

Try working out a series for -exp(x)and then dividing through by (x^2)exp(x). It might not be valid but you never know.

ReputationRep:
    There is an attachment on its way with the series written out.

ReputationRep:
    Here it is. Sorry for the slanty last line but I'm tired. Really tired. I apologise if this turns out to be complete rubbish but its the only idea I have at the moment.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    Here it is. Sorry for the slanty last line but I'm tired. Really tired. I apologise if this turns out to be complete rubbish but its the only idea I have at the moment.
    Chris assures me that that's right. After I pointed out the mistake on his first sheet, anyway...

Ben

ReputationRep:
    My pen selectively stopped working when I was writing the factorial signs.

ReputationRep:
    can you also expand the e^-x? then you would have an expansion in x only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    can you also expand the e^-x? then you would have an expansion in x only.
    I reckon so - it gives you an expansion which sums to 1, with each term muliplied by an x. So if you take out a factor of x, you'll just get x = x(1)

Ben

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.