Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Virus detected by AVG 7.0 Bootup Scanner.........help? watch

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if you pros can help with this urgent matter please?

On my old AMD machine, windows 98SE i have AVG free antivirus and enabled bootup scanner which has detected a virus;

C:\WINDOW~1.EXE @EID_Id_adw Generic.NDD

The problem is i took the recommend path of restarting with the bootable disks AVG prompts to create when 1st installing AVG antivirus and so ran a scan however did no detect it?

I have spybot search and destroy installed as well as Lavasoft adware remover and have done scans of both and with the anitvirus a couple weeks ago. The computer is mainly used by my bro for web surfing (forums, emails and msn and research for his school work) and my sister for the same. Doesnt use any p2p or torrents and also have Zonealarm freeware firewall. I have it going through a WAG54G linksys.

Now i can either boot up the PC so meaning the virus code runs, but try in safe mode but then i dont know what to do OR let the computer in DOS mode rescan using AVG floppy disk utility but nothing was found last time....?

What do i do? Please help, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Bump ............help....? please...

ReputationRep:
    If you get norton antivirus, you can boot from the cd and remove any viruses. There maybe free versions of similar software by other companies.

But if you have any norton discs, boot from the cd.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, i will give it a try then. I have norton internet security 2003.

ReputationRep:
    I`m not a puter expert by any means , I had all your antivirus software installed , and it was one virus after another detected ! get my drift ? so I re-formatted , and just uploaded MSM updates , no problems since ! also , delete any emails with "funny" words in them ....... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alant8986)
    I`m not a puter expert by any means , I had all your antivirus software installed , and it was one virus after another detected ! get my drift ? so I re-formatted , and just uploaded MSM updates , no problems since ! also , delete any emails with "funny" words in them ....... :cool:
    Ah shoot, i dont want to go there as i just last summer reformatted my PC.....i did it the first day but near the end i messed up installation of a new graphics card after spending like 12 hours on it so then the next day i did it again no problems. So is AVG the problem then.....? I hope not
    Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. Have rescanned your computer after you scanned it with boot discs? Try it and see what happens.

As far as I know WINDOW~1.EXE is not part of windows. So put it into recycle and restart? Oh... make sure you have a copy of it on floppy or something just in case I'm wrong and you need to replace it. While you are at it, you may also want to get Process Explorer for your Windows 98. Google for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I doubt it. Have rescanned your computer after you scanned it with boot discs? Try it and see what happens.

As far as I know WINDOW~1.EXE is not part of windows. So put it into recycle and restart? Oh... make sure you have a copy of it on floppy or something just in case I'm wrong and you need to replace it. While you are at it, you may also want to get Process Explorer for your Windows 98. Google for it.
    Yeah mate. I even did scan even using Norton 2003 as i restarted my PC with the disc in before bootup. An online trend micro scan came up clean system. YES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SOLVED MATE AHAHAHAH
    I used search/find in start and typed WINDOW~1.EXE and found a file that was hidden WINDOWStab.exe so i copied it to A: disk drive just in case and restarted PC and its gone! Wohooooooooooooooo!

THANKS MATE

ReputationRep:
    good to hear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.