Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Climate Change watch

• View Poll Results: When would you have intervened?
    I wouldn't intervene.
    30.38%
    Now.
    24.05%
    Before India and China industrialised.
    18.99%
    Before the Middle-East started pumping oil.
    3.80%
    Before the USA emerged as a superpower.
    8.86%
    Before the Industrial Revolution.
    10.13%
    Before man discovered fire.
    3.80%

ReputationRep:
    Climate Change is a natural phenomenon that has existed since the planet was formed. However, humans have accelerated this phenomenon, probably exponentially, across their evolution.

So, if you had the power, knowing what we know now, to prevent humans accelerating Climate Change, when would you have intervened? And why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the human effect plays a meaningful role above what happens naturally, so never.

ReputationRep:
    What? Obviously if you knew that humans were having an effect you would have acted as soon as possible?

PS. Check out the film from DEFRA on www.green.tv

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a very minor human effect but its role in the process is negligible and so it wouldn't be worth intervening, simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    I think there's a very minor human effect but its role in the process is negligible and so it wouldn't be worth intervening, simple.
    Ha! I imagined you saying that!

I think humans, what with their waste, their pollution, and their chopping down of so many rainforests which soak up plenty of C02, do a bit more damage to the environment than you think. But Conservatives do like to simplify matters...

Tell me, apart from saying, "Look, the Earth warmed up 30 years ago.Look, there was an ice age"- tell me, why you are of that view?

ReputationRep:
    Because the evidence isn't nearly as convincing as those who have politicised the issue would have you believe. And because a few decades ago they were all fraking out that humans were making the world colder and leading towards an ice age. And because the planet naturally goes through a cycle of warming and cooling and the human effect on it is not much at all.

ReputationRep:
    Because the evidence isn't nearly as convincing as those who have politicised the issue would have you believe. And because a few decades ago they were all fraking out that humans were making the world colder and leading towards an ice age. And because the planet naturally goes through a cycle of warming and cooling and the human effect on it is not much at all.

The planet does indeed go through a natural process of heating up and cooling down, however, the increased ammount of greenhouse gases reduce the cooling and increase the heating alas the evidence for this is dismissed as enviromentalist propaganda. It also doesn't help that George W. Bush is convinced that it doesn't happen, largely due to his intrest in the oil business.

ReputationRep:
    It is pointless to speculate about when the best time to intervene would have been, however the important thing is that we do something now rather than regret when we look back with hindsite.

Remember at the time of most of the options on the poll the scientific data was not available so even if it would have been better to act before the industrial revolution the technology was not there.

ReputationRep:
    I would not intervene for the simple reason that climate change is inexorable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poltroon)
    I would not intervene for the simple reason that climate change is inexorable.
    So who cares about a few degrees centigrade hey? I mean, its only gonna make vast swathes of the earth practically inhabitable, nothing to worry about really.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any actual difference between the people who say "nothing to worry worry about" and sit at home and the people who say "something should be done!" and also sit at home?

ReputationRep:
    well stop development or stop climate change thats the options that you give and i say act now, as at least now we have some level of evidence to suggest that our influence on the climate is significant. However thats not to say that previously it has not been.

ReputationRep:
    So what are you actually doing right now, to act?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhdb13)
    So who cares about a few degrees centigrade hey? I mean, its only gonna make vast swathes of the earth practically inhabitable, nothing to worry about really.
    I did not mean to imply that I am indifferent to the changes in our climate. Indeed, on the contrary, I am quite looking forward to Britain warming up.

If you can provide evidence that proves that our role in the process is any more than minimal and that practicable solutions exist which might halt the 'deterioration' in our climate then I would be happy to see it.

ReputationRep:
    I voted never as it is a natural occurence, if you look at the geological history of climate change it's clear. It's normal for the climate to change! Obviously i relaise that the anthropogenic activities are having an effect but only a slight one in relation to the short term effect on overall climate change.

ReputationRep:
    A pertinent article in the Telegraph today which is worth a read: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...4/09/ixop.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie_h)
    I voted never as it is a natural occurence, if you look at the geological history of climate change it's clear. It's normal for the climate to change! Obviously i relaise that the anthropogenic activities are having an effect but only a slight one in relation to the short term effect on overall climate change.
    Any evidence that the human impact will be 'slight'? thought not. Its to easy to dimiss the potential impact that we are having. As you say quite rightly the climate fluctuates in its satages, however we know so little about this let alone what the impacts if us will be.
    We need to ameloriate the problems that we are causing that can be seen now before it becomes to late and the balance gets tipped into the next phase.

ReputationRep:
    Read the article in the post above yours.

ReputationRep:
    Read the article in the post above yours.
    wow the telegraph will publish anything these days
    i mean i know its reputation has been falling out side of its wide right readership.
    To talk of mans graph as a "infamous hockey-stick diagram that shows accelerating warming during the 20th century - a statistical construct by scientist Michael Mann and co-workers from mostly tree ring records"
    when it actually is an accurate measurement of of the CO2 emission measured from muan loa over the past 50 years, showing an increase in atmospheric CO2
    Is this guy a joke?
    Was it published 8 days to late?

EDIT:
    Strike what was said about mans graph being a measure of CO2 i was thinking of Keeling and his curve

However what was said about the article remains

ReputationRep:
    http://myprofile.cos.com/glrmc... doesn't sound like an joke to me.

Please, a detailed retort to his article with references. After all, it is only a joke so it should be easy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.