This discussion is closed.
Icarus
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi everyone,

I know that it’s half term, but I’m really stuck on a question whilst revising. Here it is:

A particle of mass 0.3kg is suspended by two light inextensible strings from two fixed points on the same horizontal level. The strings are inclined at angles of 25 degrees and 35 degrees respectively, to the horizontal. Find the tensions in the strings.

Now, in the same book, the example that gives a similar situation states that by working out the first tension (the one with an angle of 25 to the horizontal), I have to multiply the weight (2.94N) by cos 65 (or sin 25), and the second tension the weight by cos 55 (or sin 35). However, the answers do not agree with these equations. Can anyone help?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Do you have the correct answer in the back of the book?
Are they 24.96N and 34.95N?
Icarus
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It says 2.78N and 3.08N here. By plugging them in they are right, but I just couldn't get to the answers before. Doesn't matter now, the problem's been solved.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.01%
No (522)
65.99%

Watched Threads