Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i applied to only 5 investment banks for summer interns and haven't got any of them (citigroup, csfb, macquarie, RBS and BoA)...and there's still a chance at Deutsche Bank.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me reasons as to why DB is superior to other IBs. I don't want to mess this final chance up. i know i should have applied to more banks, but it's too late now.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering which university you go to, and what subject you're reading?

ReputationRep:
    Differentiating Deutsche Bank from it's competitors is a case of reseach and reciting what's in their brochures, on their website etc. The financial press is a good place to start looking for deals and markets that Deutsche are involved in that set them apart.

As for the treasury department - they deal with the bank's liquidity, ie. their assets and liabilities and how they can best be managed. They model the risks that affect the bank's liquidity, for example, terrorist attacks, global recession, commdity price spikes etc. Using the results of these models they produce contingency plans in the event of such events occuring which will best maintain a positive liquidity position.

IFR awards are a good starting point on why DB might well be seen as better.

NB, why they won. Not just that they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    IFR awards are a good starting point on why DB might well be seen as better.

NB, why they won. Not just that they did.

yeah i mentioned the IFR awards on my application, sent it off on mon morning. thanks all for your replies

ReputationRep:
    YES!!! i've just been told i've got first round interview! i'm extremely excited as i messed up my application for the other banks so this will be my first interview ever. i've been told there will be a test before the interview.

can anyone give me and tips and tell me how difficult the test is? how i can prepare for this and what the 1st round interview involves pls?!

thank u, thank u

The test is pretty tricky (versus the usual tests). Just perform as well as you can. Interview is competancy driven. Usual rules apply, as it were.

ReputationRep:
    Is this Treasury internship (by chance) also open to first years?

(Original post by sugardaddy)
    Is this Treasury internship (by chance) also open to first years?
    No, it isn't. Unless you are planning to graduate in 2007 by virtue of doing the rest of your degree in a single year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    The test is pretty tricky (versus the usual tests). Just perform as well as you can. Interview is competancy driven. Usual rules apply, as it were.

ok thanks! i'll be doing all my research

ReputationRep:
    can i just ask do people seriously apply for an intern or graduate job in this (rare) division cos they're genuinely interested?!...or just for the sake of getting into an IB?

any ideas as to what the bonuses would be like in this division?

and though many say its difficult to move from back office to front office...i think my new revived CV would be strong enough if i was to apply for front office. or am i just being naive?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, treasury is back office - it might limit you - but an internship at a BB bank is better than no internship at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    carrying on the subject of Treasury...can i just ask do people seriously apply for an intern or graduate job in this (rare) division cos they're genuinely interested?!...or just for the sake of getting into an IB?

any ideas as to what the bonuses would be like in this division?

and though many say its difficult to move from back office to front office...i think my new revived CV would be strong enough if i was to apply for front office. or am i just being naive?
    Well people might go into treasury because its back office and hence not as many long hours and more job security. Pay is of course less, the main money to be made is int IBD and S&T. Your bonus in treasury, especially at senior levels, will be no where near that of front office. But you'll still be earning more than most other people you know.

Moving from front to back office is quite unlikely, even if you did the internship in treasury and then applied for a grad position in front office, I wouldn't expect the interviewers to be too impressed by it. So you'd need other things to still pull you through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LBC213)
    Well people might go into treasury because its back office and hence not as many long hours and more job security. Pay is of course less, the main money to be made is int IBD and S&T. Your bonus in treasury, especially at senior levels, will be no where near that of front office. But you'll still be earning more than most other people you know.

Moving from front to back office is quite unlikely, even if you did the internship in treasury and then applied for a grad position in front office, I wouldn't expect the interviewers to be too impressed by it. So you'd need other things to still pull you through.
    ok thanks for ur responses

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.