The Student Room Group

More Mohammed Cartoons this time from France

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Janjua
By being openly racist and offensive to other faiths and people.

And how does this cartoon advocate racism?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Pretty irony when France bans the Islamic protest then allows a magazine to insult Muslims and call it freedom.
This is so stupid and should be such a stupid non issue. These sole purpose of these cartoons is to cause trouble and anger muslims, its so immature.
Reply 23
Didn't charlie hebdo already do something like this? They had their offices smashed, this was in 2011

They renamed the issue 'Charia Hebdo', with the prophet as the "guest editor" on the cover saying "One hundred lashes if you don't die laughing"!

In 2011:

A week after their offices were bombed and their website hacked, they didn't back down and instead published this (translation: "Love is stronger than hate")

I love that cover, interested in seeing these new cartoons

They were also the only French publication to publish the Danish cartoons in 2007.

source
(edited 11 years ago)
While I do not condone the cartoons / video that was played (A goat, really??), I still think the reactions its getting is silly. Its a stupid video so people reacting like that is just giving the creator of the video what he wanted.

Best way to defeat the people making such stupid vids/cartoons is to not rise to the bait!

Im also just throwing it out there - people make fun of jesus, 'peadophile priests', hindu gods etc all the time, so while these videos are wrong, the reaction its getting is a little exaggerated. Just saying.
Reply 25
Original post by SaharaDesert
Funnily enough, in the same week that people are heralding people like Nakoula as a martyr for freedom of speech, Azhar Ahmad, the young man who criticised British soldiers on Facebook, has been charged and is going to prison. This just reinforces my opinion that there is not and cannot be total freedom of speech. There is always a limit; you can't just provoke someone under the now-meaningless slogan of "freedom of speech" and not expect a backlash of some sort.

People are so deluded by TV (heavily dominated by American political systems) that there is freedom of expression/speech in this country.
Reply 26
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Freedom of expression doesn't mean you can be a dick about other people's cultures and expect them not to get angry about it.

I agree. But getting angry is one thing. Being violent, or threatening to be violent is another matter
Reply 27
Original post by ThatPerson
While they have the freedom to publish these images, doesn't make it prudent. This seems like it was purposely published to incite violence and hatred. Although there shouldn't be violence over this, people need to grow thicker skins and shrug this off.

And they won't grow thicker skins if they are continually treated as excitable children who can't possibly be exposed to things that might get them worked up.

Developing a thicker skin comes with exposure to such things.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Freedom of expression.

Why the double standard with Kate Middleton's photos, then?

I don't participate in these anti-Islam discussions often but the discrimination, in this case, is outrageous.
Original post by {Unregistered}
Why the double standard with Kate Middleton's photos, then?

I don't participate in these anti-Islam discussions often but the discrimination, in this case, is outrageous.

So gross invasion of someone else's privacy is on a par with a drawing is it?

Nice logic.
Reply 30
Original post by SaharaDesert
Funnily enough, in the same week that people are heralding people like Nakoula as a martyr for freedom of speech, Azhar Ahmad, the young man who criticised British soldiers on Facebook, has been charged and is going to prison. This just reinforces my opinion that there is not and cannot be total freedom of speech. There is always a limit; you can't just provoke someone under the now-meaningless slogan of "freedom of speech" and not expect a backlash of some sort.

Yes because mocking people's deaths and drawing a picture of a man are on exactly the same level...

Anyhow, I don't see how it relates to the debate. No British newspapers have published photographs/drawings. Only one did during the Danish cartoons controversy and the editor was sacked.
Reply 31
Whilst i respect their right to rip into what ever they so please, doing so in the full knowledge that theyre potentially putting their fellow citizens at risk is somewhat uncoof.
Reply 32
Charlie Hebdo published something taking the **** in a way which will be seen by many as overstepping the mark a bit. It's pretty much to be expected of them, they make their living out of doing this week in week out.

Also, given the kerfuffle about this, how on Earth did the Onion get away with publishing a picture of a mass orgy involving key figures from all the major world religions last week without a major outcry?!
Reply 33
Original post by roh
Also, given the kerfuffle about this, how on Earth did the Onion get away with publishing a picture of a mass orgy involving key figures from all the major world religions last week without a major outcry?!

Almost all the major world religions. A certain one was not included..
Reply 34
i'm cool with freedom of speech, but publishing something just to incite a negative reaction is just a dickish move!

mohammed is one the biggest things in a muslim's life, how the hell can't 1bn people not get a bit pissed off!? obviously the violence is a bit extreme, but their right to be angry isn't.

if you're just making a simple joke on religion e.g. some jokes on family guy etc. its okay as it doesn't intend on inciting anger (with the exception of a few sensitive people). But doing it just to wind people up is absurd!
Reply 35
end well this will not
Reply 36
Stay classy French journalism. What would have been intellectually "brave" would be a constructive criticism of Islam and/or Muslims. Of course that wouldn't get any publicity so let's go down that "cartoon" route.
Reply 37
Original post by Spaz Man
Stay classy French journalism. What would have been intellectually "brave" would be a constructive criticism of Islam and/or Muslims. Of course that wouldn't get any publicity so let's go down that "cartoon" route.

The magazine is a cartoon magazine. It's not meant to be intellectual.
Reply 38
Normally I would say it is wrong to mock someones religion but I think this is a special case where Islam needs a bit of light mocking in order for them to learn to turn the other cheek. Their overzealousness is impacting on western freedom of speech. it's a big world with lots of people saying things so eventually there is going to be some unintended gaffe that can be viewed as insulting to Islam. Islam needs to accept this and learn to just ignore it unless it was really and deliberately offensive.
Reply 39
Original post by AFE95
i'm cool with freedom of speech, but publishing something just to incite a negative reaction is just a dickish move!

mohammed is one the biggest things in a muslim's life, how the hell can't 1bn people not get a bit pissed off!? obviously the violence is a bit extreme, but their right to be angry isn't.

if you're just making a simple joke on religion e.g. some jokes on family guy etc. its okay as it doesn't intend on inciting anger (with the exception of a few sensitive people). But doing it just to wind people up is absurd!

It's not just to incite a negative reaction, it's challenging the idea that Islam is the great untouchable. If everyone toed the line and never challenged it, and responded to violence and intimidation with silence (which is what some Muslims want), then there will be no progress.

Jesus, the Buddha, the Catholic Church and several other things are massive parts of the way of life of billions of people, and on a daily basis jokes, comics, satire, films making fun of these things or showing them in a negative light are published or made. Are people happy with them? No, but they respect people's rights to have an opinion without living in fear.

Why not wind people up? Wind people up until they themselves see how absurd it is to get wound up by a cartoon.

You know who has a right to be angry? Anyone who isn't Muslim who reads some of the hateful stuff some Muslims say, and indeed what the Koran says about non-Muslims. But people respect the beliefs of other people, like adults in a civilized society. How's that for hypocrisy? Islamic press is full of hateful, prejudiced, insulting things about Westerners, Jews, Christians, Atheists etc etc etc, and the universal Koran isn't exactly kind about non-Muslims, and this is seen as 'OK', or 'just stuff to be ignored', but they kick up a fuss if someone dares to insult or criticize them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending