Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many chinese studying for economics in MANCHESTER?
    thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    im fairly sure the uni don't publish stats like that!

20% of manchesters intake as a whole are international students, and there are a lot of chinese people here generally.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean Chinese from China (who have Chinese citizenship) or all people with Chinese heritage (includes overseas chinese) ??

Anyway, I found this on the Manchester website:

Origin of international students - top 20 countries

China - 1,389
    Malaysia - 420
    Greece - 333
    Hong Kong - 268
    Germany - 261
    Cyprus - 258
    India - 233
    France - 231
    Pakistan - 208
    Republic of Ireland - 196
    United States - 173
    Spain - 149
    Nigeria - 148
    Italy - 138
    Singapore - 133
    Saudi Arabia - 120
    Kenya - 113
    Canada - 94
    Mauritius - 88
    Mexico - 88
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/...dentsandstaff/

So, theres about 1400 students of Chinese citizenship out of 35,000 students total (both undergraduate and postgraduate)
    But 1400 doesn't include the overseas chinese from Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc... and of course we can't forget the British born Chinese (BBC)!!

ReputationRep:
    my god, they DO publish stats like that. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, why not publish them? A lot of unis publish these... well, at least the ones I've looked at

There are actually more americans than singaporeans at manchester???
    From my experience with americans... (no offence)... thats pretty shocking...
    Are most of them exchange students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mml)
    Yes, why not publish them? A lot of unis publish these... well, at least the ones I've looked at

There are actually more americans than singaporeans at manchester???
    From my experience with americans... (no offence)... thats pretty shocking...
    Are most of them exchange students?
    Nothing wrong with the Americans, a better country than most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Nothing wrong with the Americans, a better country than most.
    I don't have anything against americans

What I meant to say is that most americans i personally know (and i know quite a lot) would not generally come to britain for uni... mostly for the same reason that most europeans wouldn't go to the US for uni...

ReputationRep:
    from people i've met, i prefer the yanks! at least they speak english properly and make an effort to fit in :rolleyes: even to some extent they understand the culture :eek:

i thought publishing stats like that might be considered un-PC in some way, maybe not thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    The university wants to drw in as many foreign students as possible, or at least max their quota, as they pay upwards of £10k a year for some courses, and even more for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    yes i know, tis disgusting IMO, money grabbing. the sooner university financing gets sorted the better!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.