Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I take modules provided by other London U colleges as floater?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK you can take some modules taught by other UoL institutions, assuming you have obtained approval from the relevant parties.

ReputationRep:
    So I can choose modules from LSE or KCL? Other than programme coherence and academic performance, what other factors the tutor will consider?

That's amazing!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i think there may be a limit on the number you can take though, but i'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    For Politics at undergrad level, it's limited to one a year.

ReputationRep:
    Is it common for the undergrad tutor to permit intercollegiate course taking?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends on several things:
    a) What subject you're studying. Whilst doing a language, you only get one floater.
    b) Where you plan to do it. To the best of my knowledge, you can only do modules at certain UoL colleges, namely UCL and King's.
    c) There are certain modules that you just can't do. I think. However, one of my friends studying Japanese did floaters in Spanish at UCL (again, I think) so that seems fairly broad.
    d) The admissions people can be very stingey. They prefer you to take modules in SOAS itself, and preferably the recommended ones. My advice, do NOT take these, as they are usually mind numbingly boring. Did the linguistics module for Japanese whilst I was there. Truly awful.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to study politics. Do you think I can take modules from the KCL War studies department (modules about international relatioins) during the second and the third year?

If yes, that will be very great

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the late reply.
    War Studies could be tricky.
    Firstly, it is an exceptionally guarded course, meaning that as a result of it not being something more ubiquitious like History, you could end up finding that they are not able to take more people on.
    However, King's isn't far from SOAS, just down Charing Cross Road and up the Strand, so it would be feasible to get there had you a lecture in the previous block.
    But, Politics at SOAS are a bit wierd. My friend studies Japanese and Politics and in the result of a clash between a Pol lecture and a Jap History lecture, she had to attend the Pol one, despite both being necessary courses. That said, in your second and third year, the politics gets loosened quite a bit; there are only two compulsory modules, then I beleive that you choose one from outside and one Pol module.
    If I were you, I'd try and get a War Studies module in your first year to add weight to your application in the 2nd and 3rd years, plus then you could have completed a required number of modules to have a BA Politics with War Studies degree.
    It's tricky, as the timetables change regularly, and you will find that they are unable to confirm whether you could take it in your 2nd and 3rd year atm.
    Best bet is to kindly email Kings and explain, as getting onto their course seems more difficult than finding time to do it, if that makes sense.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Is it difficult to take war studies modules? (I mean the application and selecton process)
    :confused:

It is possible to do a degree with war studies??? :eek:

Also would you mind telling me whether you know someone applying or having applied for postgraduate degree programmes? Since I wish to do graduate programmes in politics in the future, I really want to know more about the 'academic prospect' of the SOAS degree...

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that if you do well in your SOAS course that you'd be locked out of top graduate programmes? If you do poorly, as would be the case anywhere, it's going to be an uphill battle.

ReputationRep:
    Is it difficult to take war studies modules?
    Should clarify - difficult in the fact that it's a rare course and very popular. One of my good friends applied to the top unis for History and also War Studies and was asked to write another personal statement purely for King's to judge.

It is possible to do a degree with war studies???
    I was under the impression that if you did enough modules wholly in another subject, it can lead to the degree being accredited with it. My friend does Japanese at SOAS with Spanish modules at UCL, and if he fills all his free modules with Spanish, he will just manage to have a BA in Japanese with Spanish.

would you mind telling me whether you know someone applying or having applied for postgraduate degree programmes?
    Unfortunately, I'm not that au fait with post grads. I've met a few, and a large majority spend their time at home with occassional (like birthday, occassional) trips to the library. They are extremely arduous, but that is because SOAS is in all honesty, slightly more geared to post grads.
    If you're asking whether a SOAS degree is a good grounding for post grad, then yes, of course. However, most SOAS undergrads seek to do their post grad things at SOAS, as the course will be exactly in line with the unique asian/african themes that they explored during their degree.

Hmm. Another essay. Oh well, what else are gap years for

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to take extra history modules from other UoL colleges then if I am already studying history as my degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm not entirely sure. Sense and sensibility would tell me that you wouldn't be able to unless you opted for a dramatically different one, but often, the floater options available aren't very good.
    Indeed, I still have the SOAS handbook here, so I shall type up the available ones you can do re: SOAS, if you so wish.
    Just message me, or ask here. I'm a gapper, so I really don't have much else to do I should get a job really...

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah you probably should but ah well.

That would be good if you could, thanks

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.