Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Air Canada watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone flown by them?

I just want to know what they are like because I'm going to Toronto from June 19th-August 8th and its rediculously cheap - £340 (rem this is peak) which is cheaper than a charter flight. I was wondering if people think it is deliberately cheap i.e. its crap. :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    Has anyone flown by them?

I just want to know what they are like because I'm going to Toronto from June 19th-August 8th and its rediculously cheap - £340 (rem this is peak) which is cheaper than a charter flight. I was wondering if people think it is deliberately cheap i.e. its crap. :tsr2:
    Loads of times! Of all the airlines I have been on (and I've flown quite a lot in my life) Air Canada are the second best airline I've ever been on (Virgin only beating them because they have the TVs in the back on the seats with the games and stuff!)
    The staff on Air Canada are always very curteous and helpful. The food is always nice (well nice enoguh for airline food). The planes are always clean, and the seats are comfortable. They also took out a lot of the seats in the planes a few years back, giving you more leg room than other airlines. This is definitely worth it on a long haul flight. I have rung up several times to change/ book flights and they are always so helpful. I have never had any problems at all with them in any respect (*cough* unlike BA *cough*) and I honestly cannot recommend them enough.
    And no, I don't work for them lol, I just fly to Canada a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks dj - your always the expert on canada AND your going to Cardiff like me

Yeah i would prefer tv in the back of the seats for long haul flights but i suppose as long as the flight gets me there then i'm not toooo bothered (the price is tempting).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks dj - your always the expert on canada AND your going to Cardiff like me

Yeah i would prefer tv in the back of the seats for long haul flights but i suppose as long as the flight gets me there then i'm not toooo bothered (the price is tempting).
    Hehe I already go to Cardiff! Benefits of living in 2 countries I guess.... I can be so knowledgable *cough* rep me! *cough*
    I don't know any other airline that does the TV in backs of seats thing except Virgin, and I don't think Virgin fly to Canada. Toronto isn't too bad a flight, I think it was around 6/7 hours. They still show movies on the big screens at the front of each section of seats, so as long as you take a good book and some music, there's always something to do.

ReputationRep:
    Virgin don't fly to Toronto Canadian affair (charter flight) has tvs in the back of seats but they are £100 more than air canada so i don't think its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Virgin don't fly to Toronto Canadian affair (charter flight) has tvs in the back of seats but they are £100 more than air canada so i don't think its worth it.
    Haha no, tv's in the back of seats isn't exactly a life changing experience. I would rather have £100!

ReputationRep:
    Air stewards were grumpy, TVs didn't work and the planes smelt of cabbage.

I will NEVER fly with Air Canada again.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any other airline that does the TV in backs of seats thing except Virgin, and I don't think Virgin fly to Canada.
    Emirates and Saudi Airlines have TV on the back of most of their planes...

ReputationRep:
    ooo and Qatar Airways too...

Not relevent to the topic but hey....

ReputationRep:
    yeah i flew with them in the summer, cant complain really. canada is an awsome place to, i wish i could come with u!

ReputationRep:
    I've had some bad experiences with Air Canada.

I've probably flown with them about 20 times.Every plane has been delayed.

An air hostess once spilt water down me.

I used to be a vegetarian and they never gave me a veggie meal despite me booking it and reconfirming it-in fact,I was so worried about not getting a veggie meal on a flight back from Vancouver that I had to call them from a payphone in the middle of the Rocky Mountains to make sure,lol.

On a Toronto-Calgary flight I asked for my meal and the dude was SO rude to me...he was going 'Oh it's not like I have a gourmet kitchen to cook you up a special meal is it!'

Prick,I paid for my air ticket and therefore a meal which I am entitled to!

Although having said that I flew from Frankfurt to Toronto with them about a year ago and it was OK-we got an 'afternoon pizza service' lol,I was so impressed,it was so nice because I was starving!

I flew with Canada 3000 just after September 11th and the plane was totally empty...so I was very impressed with that flight ,lol...I had about 3 rows of seats all to myself.But that airline went bust.

ReputationRep:
    i went to toronto once with air canada

i wouldnt say it was a brilliant flight, i was expecting it to be a bit better but it does the job and like you said its not too expensive

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the flights aren't anything brilliant, some of the planes are old. But, Air Canada's business is/was in a bit of danger, I think that keeps 'em trying to impress.

In my experience, the flight attendants have all been very pleasant. And the most notable thing about Air Canada is that they seem to keep the food coming. You won't go hungry. And that's the most important thing, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satyricon)
    And the most notable thing about Air Canada is that they seem to keep the food coming. You won't go hungry. And that's the most important thing, right?
    Not if its crap food.

ReputationRep:
    I flew from New York to Toronto with them, and it was a very good flight; new plane, TVs in the headrests (even for a short-haul flight), good service. Toronto airport is far too overcrowded though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom391)
    I flew from New York to Toronto with them, and it was a very good flight; new plane, TVs in the headrests (even for a short-haul flight), good service. Toronto airport is far too overcrowded though.
    I agree, but thats not Air Canada's fault!! But try comparing it to Heathrow, I hate that airport, its ridiculously crowded, busy and old. And the staff are always grumpy.
    When I flew into Vancouver in the middle of the afternoon, the whole place was absolutely deserted, it was so weird. Got through immigration in like 5 minutes. It all looked shiny and new, so must have been an extension to the terminal or something.
    And just to add, I rang up Air Canada yesterday to change my flights for the summer, in light that I just got my exam timetable for the summer and am finished 2 weeks earlier than expected, and they were very helpful. Up until the point my credit card was rejected and I had to get my parents to ring up for me! But as I told them I was quoted £125 for the change, and they were quoted £170, the guy on the phone gave it to them for £100, so I'm super pleased with him.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester airport is the best - not too big, nor too small. I only wish Leeds Airport expanded to Manchester's size!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizfissy815)
    Emirates and Saudi Airlines have TV on the back of most of their planes...
    American Airlines have them on all their 777s.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what i'm going to do for 7 hours without a tv. Listen to my ipod for 4 hours which would then go dead and in the process maybe i'll be dead too - with boredom. On the Air Canada 767 they dont even have powerpoints which is a bit crap. The price is still tempting though...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what i'm going to do for 7 hours without a tv. Listen to my ipod for 4 hours which would then go dead and in the process maybe i'll be dead too - with boredom. On the Air Canada 767 they dont even have powerpoints which is a bit crap. The price is still tempting though...
    They have films on on the big screens at the front.
    Take a book!
    If you are really bothered take a laptop (if you have one) and watch DVDs on that. Thats what I plan to do on my 10 hour flight!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.