Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What should we do (if anything) about the poor. I'm tired of seeing poor people.

ReputationRep:
    A Modest Proposal

ReputationRep:
    swift was on the ball

ReputationRep:
    Battle Royale.

ReputationRep:
    Love Swifts satire.

Shame most of you probably actually agree with it

ReputationRep:
    Send them to Mozambique.

(Original post by Toscar)
    swift was on the ball
    My, how the circumstances of a nation change!

Ireland is now the leading economy, pre capita in the European union.

Far more prosperous than this country.

(Original post by objectivism)
    What should we do (if anything) about the poor. I'm tired of seeing poor people.
    Get off your elitist arse and do something positive to remedy their poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Either that, or we could poke his eyes out. I get the left.

ReputationRep:
    For one reason or another, there will always be class separation. There has been in every country, in every government, in every era. It is a fundamental problem with human beings and their inherit necessity to separate/differ themselves from one another. One that no doubt is beyond repair without the help of an outside force.

(Original post by cottonmouth)
    Either that, or we could poke his eyes out. I get the left.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Kill them

ReputationRep:
    We are a capitalist society - there will always be poor people. The thing is, being poor is nowhere near as bad in our country as it is in others; the poor of Britain are much better off than the poor of third world countries. We cannot do anything about people being poor, as the poor will always exist in a society like ours. However, what we can do is improve the economy in general to the point that the poor are not in a position of being physically lacking (ie. there are no issues with healthcare, food, shelter etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Since you live in London I wonder how poor people supposedly live in your perception.

For one reason or another, there will always be class separation. There has been in every country, in every government, in every era. It is a fundamental problem with human beings and their inherit necessity to separate/differ themselves from one another.
    ^And with that said (quoted from Rusty33), I may also add to say the upper class will always consider the lower class as poor. Western people are also richer than ever, by the way. I'm sure all of the poor people you see every day have a blessed life in contrast to the lifes of their ancestors.

If you mean poverty in Africa, however, that's alot more complicated. Financially alot of those countries are in deep debt with foreign countries, corruption in politics, monocultures, stark competition without barely any protection of their own economic rights and diseases and war aren't making it any better. The key to their prosperity isn't donation, because that doesn't help in long-term. They need to have the ability to produce themselves to have a steady income. Todays circumstances however, are barely allowing them to have that chance (EU, NAFTA). Some people are just set up to fail, tough but true.

ReputationRep:
    1) Where do you set the limit for "poverty"

2) Fewer "poor" people will surely drive up incomes, leading to layoffs and a new underclass... and more "poor people". Only difference will be that everyone else is worse off.

ReputationRep:
    Set up a Communist goverment, that way everyone will be equal!(!)

(Bad idea in reality...)

ReputationRep:
    The only way to enforce equality (to an extent) is to lower everyone down to the lowest denominator.

That's bad.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I bet that now they know that they'll work themselves out of poverty. After all everyone knows that you're only poor because you're lazy right? pfffst.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on WHY they are poor. Maybe some people really deserved to be poor, for example, they didn't work hard at school?

But if you say, poor people in Africa etc. The only thing we can do right now is to give money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Battle Royale.
    Not only would this solve the problem, it would also provide some quality entertainment. I'm with him on this one.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.