What to do about the poor? Watch

Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
That's a rather productive comment coming from you, congratulations.
Youre point - we HAVE to try - ie we HAVE to get involved.

My point - we could choose not to get involved at all.

Im sorry if that is not up to your usual high standards of "productivity".
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My point is - why not?
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My point is - why not?
No - your point was - we have to.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
No - your point was - we have to.
My point is - why not?
ElWilson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Independent Consultant: "Erm....you're going wrong because you're government is full of corrupt, greedy, lazy, incompetent, tyranical *******s"

Mr.Mugabe: "Ah, now I see where we've been going wrong - gee thanks"
UN, a-hole
Handsome devil
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by donniedarko)
It really depends on WHY they are poor. Maybe some people really deserved to be poor, for example, they didn't work hard at school?

But if you say, poor people in Africa etc. The only thing we can do right now is to give money.
Ah yes, they didnt work hard at school.
clyn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by technik)
there will always be poor people and whats more, there needs to be poor people.
Because we all need someone to look down on?
Here's an idea we could all follow....Instead of keeping people poor and sneering at them, we could sneer and make fun of our social betters for being so inbred and privileged. Eventually, they'll get so pissed off they'll move away or spontaneously combust, leaving jobs open and more houses to go around.
Johnny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by clyn)
Here's an idea we could all follow....Instead of keeping people poor and sneering at them, we could sneer and make fun of our social betters for being so inbred and privileged. Eventually, they'll get so pissed off they'll move away or spontaneously combust, leaving jobs open and more houses to go around.
I hear paraffin goes up a treat...
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would vote, if I wasn't 16, and just to let you know, I wouldn't vote Labour if you held a gun to my head (well, in that situation I'd probably consider it, but as a general rule no). Who do you vote for then? BNP? Last time I checked the Conservatives weren't this out of touch.

I think you fail to realise the importance in education of a stable family and a sound working environment. Nurture matters, as does nature. If you're brought up by a mum who clearly does not give a sh*t, taught by teachers who a) don't know what they're talking about and b) don't give a damn, and you're friends with various other children doomed to failure, the realistic opportunities, as far as I can tell, are nil.
neither. the BNP and conservatives dont stand in my constituency. same goes for labour and the liberals.

i think you fail to realise that just about everyone in the UK has opportunities most of the world could only dream of. indeed not everyone in the UK is afforded the same level of education or is graced with the same level of interest from friends or family but thats life. its no excuse to submit and fail.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you people not realise that helping the poor would benefit ourselves in the long run? We would cut crime and visual pollution by about 75+%, we could freely walk the streets once again without fear of stabbings and the like, and the country would improve economically, thus meaning more to spread around for everyone.
i already walk around my town without fear of getting stabbed. the best way to improve the economy of the UK is to help the rich as much as you help the poor.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by clyn)
because you'll always need someone to work in burger king for £4.95/hour etc
clyn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What? £4.95 an hour! I'm working in Woolies until I go to Uni and I only get £4.36. Boo. Those Burger King corpie whores don't know they're born....:p:
technik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by clyn)
What? £4.95 an hour! I'm working in Woolies until I go to Uni and I only get £4.36. Boo. Those Burger King corpie whores don't know they're born....:p:
in my first job i got £2.49/hr
The Basilisk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by objectivism)
Kill them
:eek:
You probably do not know what it's like roaming the streets bored and restless with nothing to do but crime and getting drunk and with no future and no hopeful expectations of life. Then again, I bet you would want to be put out of your misery.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Basilisk)
You probably do not know what it's like roaming the streets bored and restless with nothing to do but crime and getting drunk
That applies to precisely NO one in this country.
The Basilisk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
That applies to precisely NO one in this country.
Yes it does.
Gang crimes and drugs are the result of boredom. Also, there was a bbc documentary recently that show a large percentage of working class youths who like to get away from the stresses of life using alcohol. They just drink until they're drunk.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes it does.
Gang crimes and drugs are the result of boredom.
I got bored as a kid - I didnt rob people.

The notion that these kids have NOTHING else to do is obviously not true. They have access to books? To TV? To Community centres? To cinemas? To sports facilities?

Precisely.

Also, there was a bbc documentary recently that show a large percentage of working class youths who like to get away from the stresses of life using alcohol. They just drink until they're drunk.
So did I. I used to drink when I was 10... have ever since. Im 24 and I rarely get drunk, and for the last 14 years i still got up on time, did my work, and went to school.

if they have no motivation to do the right thing and ensure they ARENT bored and stuck in poverty then taht's THEIR fault, and that of their parents.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes it does.
Gang crimes and drugs are the result of boredom. Also, there was a bbc documentary recently that show a large percentage of working class youths who like to get away from the stresses of life using alcohol. They just drink until they're drunk.
bull. a lot of my family are what most people would class as "working class" or "lower class". my cousins live in council estates in NI that would make a mockery of what many people on the mainland consider to be rough and they aren't criminals. you couldn't count on your two hands the amount of people shot within a 50 metre radius of their houses. by nearly every indicator they are from a deprived area.

they went to school and didn't get a lot of qualifications and they work in lower paying jobs but thats the point - they're honest and try to make the best of themselves. my youngest cousin is finishing school this year and hes by no means an angel but he could be a lot worse. they arent drug dealers and muggers. of course they could easily have became that, like anyone else, but they haven't.

my father also grew up in areas like that, but in the 70's, when northern ireland was one of the most dangerous places in the northern hemisphere. could have been all too easy for him to become just another balaclava and ak47 but he didnt.

fact is everyone has a choice. they can try to be good people or they can become scum. its still a choice. making the wrong choice leads to a **** life and no one should be excused because they supposedly come from a poor area.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think you fail to realise that just about everyone in the UK has opportunities most of the world could only dream of. indeed not everyone in the UK is afforded the same level of education or is graced with the same level of interest from friends or family but thats life. its no excuse to submit and fail.
So your argument goes along the lines of.... UK has better opportunities than, say, Africa, therefore they must be perfect and we can do nothing to improve them?

I never said that poor opportunities are an 'excuse' for anything. I believe very much in strong law and order, and that those who commit crimes should be punished so as to provide a huge disincentive to others to follow their lead. However, alongside being tough on law and order, we need to make improvements so that there is more equality of opportunity. No, that doesn't mean everyone should be equal, it means everyone should have relatively equal chances to become successful. Right now the opportunities are not enough - people like me are brought up in a stable family environment and sent to great schools where parents and teachers pressure us into working and where I have access to whatever resources and facilities I need. At the other end of the spectrum you have people whose parents don't care, whose schools don't care, and who end up wondering off with the wrong types. How can you honestly blame this on them? It's the parents' fault, it's the schools' fault, so why should they be punished? How are they expected to lead good lives if they have no-one to show them how to do so?

It doesn't take much to improve opportunities. We should work on the family, provide incentives for married couples and not single mothers, we should make things like the NHS more efficient and transfer money from there to the education system. How is that difficult?
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i already walk around my town without fear of getting stabbed. the best way to improve the economy of the UK is to help the rich as much as you help the poor.
Great, many others don't.

Did I ever say we should help the poor at the expense of the rich?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1043)
79.08%
Leave (276)
20.92%

Watched Threads