Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for maths from Bath and am so close to putting it as my firm choice for next year. I have been on open days a couple of times to see the campus and it seems really nice. However from looking at the information in the prospectus and the website I was just wondering if Bath is full of science guys. I don't have anything against them (I'm one myself), but do you miss the people who do art subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Not really! There are quite a few subjects that aren't sciences, for example Management, European Studies & MFLs, Politics and so on. It doesn't make much of a difference to be honest, you barely even notice it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it. One thing I have noticed is that Bath lacks very eccentric arty students that I have witnessed at Bristol, but that is not bad thing! In fact, all the science people seem really nice, it's those c**** from management you have to watch out for (one in particular named oliver holt)!

ReputationRep:
    here are some figures you might find helpful:

Percentage of students in Faculties and Schools:
    Faculty of Engineering & Design - 19%
    Faculty of Science - 25%
    Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences - 30%
    School of Management - 13%
    Division for Lifelong Learning - 8%
    Cross Faculty programmes - 5%

ReputationRep:
    Not all ppl who study science are "un-arty"

ReputationRep:
    It is true that not all science students are geeks but people do tend to generalise science & engineering students as geeks subjectively.
    As for example, The Sunday Times University Guide comments that Imperial College’s social scene is not that social after all! They say: “the lack of arts students means geeky people”.
    It’s to a certain extent true, you know. With so much to study, these students often create their own worlds of activities that are quite bizarre to the rest!

ReputationRep:
    I've not noticed that at Bath to be honest... everyone seems fairly normal regardless of what they study! Of course there are a few odd ones, but you get those anywhere.

But perhaps it's because all these 'geeks' don't go out anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself arty, just not in the ussual sense, i have good ideas/imagination and can do 'art' on photoshop, how ever as far as drawing goes, it is far from my strong point.

As far as being a geek because i do engineering, i am the biggest geek you ever met! lol kidding. If you saw my book shelf the science books would probably convince you im a geek, how ever i also do a lot of sports and never been called a geek or anything of that sort, so i doubt im a geek, i hate star trek so doesnt that rule me out all together? :P

ReputationRep:
    for the records titanium, I have over 20 A Level Physics books in my book shelves ... & I'm planning to bring one-third of'em at bath!
    you can create an entire science museum inside your room & still be un-geek as long as you .... ummm.... hate star trek i guess :P

ReputationRep:
    But mine are not all A levle text books! I have a book about Relativity, and another one that trys to explain why relativity is wrong. I have a book about the big bang, i have one called introducing quantum theory which actualy pretty much sux, and i also have the Universe in a nutshell by stephen Hawkins.

ReputationRep:
    wow that is indeed impressive! as a matter of curiousity, have you read'em all in full?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justintabib)
    wow that is indeed impressive! as a matter of curiousity, have you read'em all in full?
    Not all of them, i get easily side tracked from books!

ReputationRep:
    i dont think there is any link between bath being a science university and the social scene or how geeky the people are. Subjects dont determine if ur geeky or not, or whether you are social or not, its all to do with the individual and you will meet great people while you're here but also there are a few weirdos as with any university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack0)
    I wouldn't worry about it. One thing I have noticed is that Bath lacks very eccentric arty students that I have witnessed at Bristol, but that is not bad thing! In fact, all the science people seem really nice, it's those c**** from management you have to watch out for (one in particular named oliver holt)!
    Just because one guys is a loser from the management section doesnt mean u have to "watch out for those c**** from management".. Thats just dumb

ReputationRep:
    Forza...lighten up. I wasn't being serious.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doin biology, and do find the subject rly interesting (n I spose im not bad at it either), but i wouldn't consider myself to be a geek (apart from a few weeks before exams whilst im swottin away! lol). In fact, people's first impressions of me are usually a bit dizzy an crazy lol.
    Don't rly think it's fair to generalise to be honest, everyone is different, so don't stereotype us scientists! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack0)
    Forza...lighten up. I wasn't being serious.
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forza_milan)
    :mad:
    Erm, aren't you taking this a bit seriously? He was only having a dig at his friend, it was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Amy, will you be my date to the star trek convention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    Amy, will you be my date to the star trek convention
    I don't know, you'll have to clear that with my boyfriend :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.