Turn on thread page Beta

really newbie question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know my question must sound really dumb but I really don´t know what GCE of GSCE(or something like that) means, can someone tell me please. Does anybody know of a webpage that tells about the type and FAQ of the UK grading system. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    When u leave primary school at yr 6 u go to Secondary School (highschool) and u do GCSEs (around 9 subjects normally) From yr 7 to yr 11 thats 5 yrs.
    After u passed ur GCSE's u can choose to do GCE or better known as A-levels. where u specialize more (u pick around 3 subjects on avrage). ur GCE is more important if ur thinking to go to university afterwards. Good universities (such as Oxbridge and most of top ten unis) will look at ur GCSE grades as well.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE=General Certificate of Secondary Education
    GCE= General Certificate of Education
    A level= Advance level
    AS level= Advance Subsiduary(sp), Basicaly the first year of an A level is an AS level.
    NVQ= National Vocational Qualification. G before means General I think.
    AVCE= Advances Vocational Certificate of Education.

GCSE are graded from U (ungraded or failed) to A*. The range of available grades depends on the subject and school, with more advanced courses dropping off at C and lower level ones going down to G.

A and AS levels are about the same, but they only go up to A. The range of grades is the same for everyone.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.