This discussion is closed.
Anjel
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I know my question must sound really dumb but I really don´t know what GCE of GSCE(or something like that) means, can someone tell me please. Does anybody know of a webpage that tells about the type and FAQ of the UK grading system. Thanks.
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When u leave primary school at yr 6 u go to Secondary School (highschool) and u do GCSEs (around 9 subjects normally) From yr 7 to yr 11 thats 5 yrs.
After u passed ur GCSE's u can choose to do GCE or better known as A-levels. where u specialize more (u pick around 3 subjects on avrage). ur GCE is more important if ur thinking to go to university afterwards. Good universities (such as Oxbridge and most of top ten unis) will look at ur GCSE grades as well.
pal_sch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
GCSE=General Certificate of Secondary Education
GCE= General Certificate of Education
A level= Advance level
AS level= Advance Subsiduary(sp), Basicaly the first year of an A level is an AS level.
NVQ= National Vocational Qualification. G before means General I think.
AVCE= Advances Vocational Certificate of Education.

GCSE are graded from U (ungraded or failed) to A*. The range of available grades depends on the subject and school, with more advanced courses dropping off at C and lower level ones going down to G.

A and AS levels are about the same, but they only go up to A. The range of grades is the same for everyone.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads