Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A GOOD Samaritan has spoken of his disgust after a dying man was heckled by yobs.

Travis Marshall, 42, tried in vain to save an elderly driver who had a heart attack at the wheel and careered into a bus.

But as the victim took his last breath, sick youths in tracksuits and hoods clashed with police and yelled: "He is just a white man."
    http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...story_continue

...And why were these guys not arrested? Hmm, I wonder...! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)

How disgusting! They should be locked up for racism, in my opinion, they did break the law.

Of course, most people on here, such as Vienna, and Arthur Oliver, won't think they should be locked up, because they believe you should be allowed to say such things, freedom of speech and all that.....

But they are scum, how could anyone belittle life like that? Any normal person would find seeing someone die of a heat attack harrowing. Forget the racism, the more scary aspect is the value they place on a persons life!

ReputationRep:

I'm just surprised that this isn't on the BNP site... yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    How disgusting! They should be locked up for racism, in my opinion, they did break the law.

Of course, most people on here, such as Vienna, and Arthur Oliver, won't think they should be locked up, because they believe you should be allowed to say such things, freedom of speech and all that.....
    It's good to have some argy-bargy and disagreement, but you shouldn't misrepresent my views cm. Can you name a single criminal I voiced any support for?
    But they are scum, how could anyone belittle life like that? Any normal person would find seeing someone die of a heat attack harrowing. Forget the racism, the more scary aspect is the value they place on a persons life!
    Perfectly said.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what law is this?

There's no law against being racist or downright cruel. There are laws against inciting racial hatred etc., but it doesn't seem like they were doing that in this case. What charges would you level at the people responsible?

ReputationRep:
    funny how the OP forgot to mention the following sentence:

Mr Marshall told how a black woman next to him pleaded with cops to arrest the youths

ReputationRep:
    I know that according to the letter of the law, these yobs probably did nothing wrong, but I'm a great believer in the fact that standing by while some preventable bad thing happens is almost as bad as causing that bad thing to happen. Legally, it's not a crime, but I don't see how you could ever see someone who stands by and lets someone die (especially while mocking them!) as as anything other than a morally repugnant piece of *censored*.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, doubtless is it morally repugnant, racist and hideous, but that doesn't make it illegal. Actually, you may be interested to know that some countries (including a fair few continental European ones) do have laws that place passers-by under a legal duty to help others but the UK is not one of those countries.

ReputationRep:
    Sickening.

ReputationRep:
    So something morally repugnant, racist and hideous should or should not be illegal? Or are we not supposed to question the law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    So something morally repugnant, racist and hideous should or should not be illegal? Or are we not supposed to question the law?
    What do you propose the men be charged with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    Oh, doubtless is it morally repugnant, racist and hideous, but that doesn't make it illegal. Actually, you may be interested to know that some countries (including a fair few continental European ones) do have laws that place passers-by under a legal duty to help others but the UK is not one of those countries.
    Thank Christ.

ReputationRep:
    It's a difficult issue really - it shows that morality and legality are not as similar as we might hope. While I find it morally shocking that people could stand by while someone dies, at the same time I don't think a law requiring passers by to act would be feasible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poltroon)
    What do you propose the men be charged with?
    I was merely stating it isn't enough to say "oh well it isn't illegal is it so that's the end of that". You need to be able to explain why it is not illegal and why it should not be illegal where other morally repugnant things such as say, grave robbing are.

ReputationRep:

Of course, most people on here, such as Vienna, and Arthur Oliver, won't think they should be locked up, because they believe you should be allowed to say such things, freedom of speech and all that.
    They should be locked up for preventing the emergency services from doing their job, not because they are racist.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't illegal to be racist, although im sure these guys were breaking the public order act. Then again that law was made to stop the BNP(and other far right groups) from doing things like playing land of hope and glory in the street, not to stop blacks from mocking a dying white man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    They should be locked up for preventing the emergency services from doing their job, not because they are racist.
    My thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what law is this?

There's no law against being racist or downright cruel. There are laws against inciting racial hatred etc., but it doesn't seem like they were doing that in this case. What charges would you level at the people responsible?
    Uh, may I remind you of the ten year old who called another ten year old 'Bin Laden'? He was arrested and taken to court (even though the Asian he insulted also called him "white trash"). Was this incitement to racial hatred?

So, if I went up to a black man and called him a "*****ing n*gger", you don't think I should be arrested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    funny how the OP forgot to mention the following sentence:

Mr Marshall told how a black woman next to him pleaded with cops to arrest the youths
    And what was the relevence of this post, hey? I'm used to copying and pasting the beginning of news articles; it's something which is compulsory on a different forum.

Anyway, what is your point? The point of the journalist including this was to show that not all blacks are racist - which is kinda stating the obvious.

I love it - I post something showing anti-white racism and all you damn liberals jump on the boat and try to insinuate that I'm racist. Please, anti-white racist apologists, go away.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, may I remind you of the ten year old who called another ten year old 'Bin Laden'? He was arrested and taken to court (even though the Asian he insulted also called him "white trash"). Was this incitement to racial hatred?

So, if I went up to a black man and called him a "*****ing n*gger", you don't think I should be arrested?
    The problem is, if "He's just a white man" is all they said, then they didn't actually give any racial insult. That's just a fact - laws against racism do not prevent people from mentioning other people's races, they prevent insults towards people because of their race. It is equally within the law to say "He's just an asian" or "He's just a black man" as there is no insult involved.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2007
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.