Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering whether we have to buy the books specified in our reading lists ourselves? In my letter, the tutors said that I should have read them all (I'm currently borrowing as many as I can from the library), but they didn't specify any further. Do they not provide you with your own books when you arrive? I've no clue at all, any help would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

ReputationRep:
    when did you get your letter with the reading list? do different colleges/ faculties send them at different times?

ReputationRep:
    You will not be [b]given[/i] books like you might be at school, but uni libraries mean you will probably never have to buy a book (for arts at least, I think in science you probably do)

What subject is the reading list for? Most likely the tutors' claim that you have to read everything is unrealistic anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Which subject are you doing? If it's something like English or a language then you're likely to want to buy a lot of the actual texts (although not necessarily the criticism and analysis books) because you'll want to scribble all over them and highlight and stuff
    As far as sciences go... well I've only bought one major book and that was because my tutor told me too (*cough* EXPLETIVES!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Can any current students remember when they got their reading lists? Do they only sent them out once you have met your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel-linguist)
    Can any current students remember when they got their reading lists? Do they only sent them out once you have met your offer?
    That will vary with both subject and college. I got a package from college in about July (ie before results day) and it included a note from my tutor with a couple of key things to read on it.

ReputationRep:
    I got my reading list in March...but i can't find any of the books anywhere (unless i'm willing to buy them from Amazon for £40/book...)

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry, am in my third year and have bought about 4 books so far I bought the 3 main texts, on for each branch of the subject, which I would've been able to get from a library, and the only other book I bought was one that was out of print which my tutor recommended, and it only cost me £5 from Amazon! My college parents advised me to wait until I got here to buy books, and I said the same to my college daughter. You can assess which ones you actually need to buy, and maybe buy books from older students. There's a lot of bookshops in Oxford, so no need to buy lots of books before you get here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traum)
    I got my reading list in March...but i can't find any of the books anywhere (unless i'm willing to buy them from Amazon for £40/book...)
    what are they? for economics there's 3 that are probably worth buying (i have no idea for management)

ReputationRep:
    3rd year Medic: own one text book - that was accidental on amazon but was a bargain.

Avoiding buying many is perfectly do-able in the sciences:
    Hooke = lending library that has copies of pretty much everything on basic reading list for weekly loan.
    College libraries = can be pretty good for sciences too - at mine they can be loaned over whole vacations or for half a term at a time & they normally have a few ref. only of the key ones.
    Radcliffe Science library = reference only - has everything it seems, or you can ask the nice robots to bring the book/journal you want up from storage... :eek:

on a when-reading-list-note seems as oxymoron said really... we never got a reading list before coming up actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    what are they? for economics there's 3 that are probably worth buying (i have no idea for management)
    Macroeconomics: A European Text by Michael Burda
    Macroeconomics by N.Gregory Mankiw
    Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach by Hal R. Varian
    Principles of Economics by Richard G. Lipsey

The rest are maths n stats n management...totals up to 13 i think :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i'd encourage you to get mankiw and varian eventually, but to be honest i doubt you'll understand them if you read them now... wouldnt bother with the other 2

ReputationRep:
    okely dokely...i doubt i'll understand anything on the reading list... i don't even understand why they sent it to me so early. Prob won't be touching anything until the summer hols.

But what if the tutors ask about them in the 1st tute... then i'm doomed Also a worrying fact is that they are titled "Introductory reading" and if i'd like something "more challenging" i could read these other books (which i automatically ignored...) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    well, that's basically true for economics in first year. you can do a micro essay off varian, but you could jazz it up and read something else if you felt keen.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get a copy of Mankiw and Varian, but nothing else is near worth getting unless you want an alternative approach which can sometimes make things clearer. You can get both core texts second-hand in Blackwells, or get them off Amazon marketplace or boso or something. You won't need them before you get here, and I think a new edition of Mankiw is coming out soon so I'd advise against buying one now.

ReputationRep:
    d'you reckon? i used an old (not very old) edition of Varian in first year 'cause it was £3 and it didn't seem like anything important had changed...

ReputationRep:
    In Varian chapters have been added between additions, I think less changes in Mankiw. My point was you'll get a 5th edition Mankiw cheaper when the 6th edition comes out than if you bought it now. And you'd get a 6th edition Mankiw for the same price as a new 5th edition Mankiw in a few months time.

ReputationRep:
    I sent a slightly panicky email to my college some time in September saying ummm reading list?! And found out happily that I had none - 'twas also a nice way to find out that I wasn't the only Biologist that year hehe

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Has anyone heard if there are any paticular books recommended for Law, I've heard nothing from the college since the offer letter! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My subjects are French and Philosophy - I've around 13 books to read... Got my reading lists a while ago now, maybe sometime in late Feb/March. Thing is, they've even specified the editions of nearly every book (for French)... I know I can get them on Amazon, just don't want to spend so much if it's not necessary.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.