Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you know those water bottles with the lids where you open it by pulling with your teeth?

Well, if you use them long enough, is it possible that your teeth might start growing outwards?

Dunno if that makes sense.

Nice one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes just like if you press your tongue against the back of your teeth often then your teeth grow outwards.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so yeah. Cant see it happening unless you do it for a living though.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know the ins and outs but reckon you'd have to do it A LOT before there was even a slight change

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it would really make any difference at all unless you spend your life doing it. If you're worried you can always use your fingers

ReputationRep:
    ummm....no
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Only if you were doing it 24/7...(I'm guessing btw...wouldn't have a clue!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirly)
    I doubt it would really make any difference at all unless you spend your life doing it. If you're worried you can always use your fingers
    Thats the problem, the things too stiff to open with fingers.

Guess I'll just get a new water bottle :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Thats the problem, the things too stiff to open with fingers.
    Try Highland Spring... perfect for anyones water bottle opening needs

ReputationRep:
    Just imagine how the guy in the factory that makes them feels - he would have to test them all the time to make sure they work...

ReputationRep:
    No your teeth wouldn't grow outwards.

ReputationRep:
    Having spent gross amounts of money getting my teeth beautifully straight and hollywood-esque - anything involving my mouth and teeth (ie possibly unstraightening them, not normal stuff :rolleyes: ) worries me.

I don't think it does, but I try the bottle before I buy! One of my friends opens bottle tops with her teeth, personally, I find that revolting!!

ReputationRep:
    heh, I know what you mean, my teeth are perfect( :rolleyes:) and I don't want them growing out of my face.

ReputationRep:
    If you upset the bouncer at your local nightclub then I heard that can actually make your teeth go inwards (as well as make your lip bleed).

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    More importantly, anyone notice that you can't reuse these bottles more than a couple of times coz the cap gets ****ed up! so much for recycling...(nah, i'm just cheap! lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie-n)
    More importantly, anyone notice that you can't reuse these bottles more than a couple of times coz the cap gets ****ed up! so much for recycling...(nah, i'm just cheap! lol)
    I use them loads of times with no probs :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well they say kids who have dummies for longer than 2 years tend to need braces because their teeth go inwards or something, I doubt it could happen with a water bottle though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    heh, I know what you mean, my teeth are perfect( :rolleyes:) and I don't want them growing out of my face.
    You never smile anyway

Like others have said, you'd need to be doing it for prolonged periods. And I don't just mean opening a few bottles per day with your teeth, I'm talking about doing it almost permanently.

Many people who suck their thumbs end up with teeth protuding slightly, but you have to remember that people generally suck their thumbs for long periods of time in a row, whereas the action of opening a bottle is not ongoing.

It depends obviously on the nature of your teeth and gums- some people have teeth which are more likely to be affected by force beign applied on them- like when you just have your brace taken off, your teeth are very easily influenced by the slightest of forces, hence your having to wear a retainer to keep them in the right position.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i sucked my thumb for years....i needed braces for 2 years!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.