Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you hear stories about how people have known since they were born or they came out when they were seven or something stuopid

surely you can't know until at least puberty and in many cases later than this?

i know people say 'but you knew you were straight from an early age' as the opposing argument but is this strictly true? okay people 'go out' at primary school and all that but that is never actually about feelings is it?

anyway i was just wondering so enlighten me with your thoughts or experiences

ReputationRep:
    for me;
    - i 'fell' for a girl at 14 but maintained i was straight and this was an anomaly amongst my 'crushes'
    - a couple of years later i began to like other girls and thought i was bi
    - and then two years after that i'm quite sure i'm gay as i like girls exclusively

ReputationRep:
    I would say its different.

It's possible to know you're gay at 7 for example. At 7 I found certain girls pretty, I don't see why a male homosexual can't find a boy pretty at a young age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    I would say its different.

It's possible to know you're gay at 7 for example. At 7 I found certain girls pretty, I don't see why a male homosexual can't find a boy pretty at a young age.
    Unless you were a very early developer, I doubt this had anything to do with sexuality. You may have found the girls pretty, but I doubt there was any sense of sexuality there. Indeed heterosexuals are quite capable of finding members of the same gender good-looking, but in no way sexually attractive - for example I can recognise what I consider to be a good looking man, but there is no element of sexual attraction there - and homosexuals are equally capable of appreciating the good looks of members of the opposite sex.

I wouldn't say it's possible to know until puberty. Until then, a person is pretty much incapable of being sexually attracted to anyone, so no matter what gender the person you like is, they are really just a good friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by championhopper)
    for me;
    - i 'fell' for a girl at 14 but maintained i was straight and this was an anomaly amongst my 'crushes'
    - a couple of years later i began to like other girls and thought i was bi
    - and then two years after that i'm quite sure i'm gay as i like girls exclusively
    You bat for the blue team then?

I dont think anyone is born fighting for the dark side, I mean you dont have any feelings about anything like that when you're a baby, over time you realise that you actually like Hugh Grant films more than you do Sean Bean films (or if you're a girl you decide that you prefer you're hair short and spikey rather than long).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UtterNutter69)
    You bat for the blue team then?

I dont think anyone is born fighting for the dark side, I mean you dont have any feelings about anything like that when you're a baby, over time you realise that you actually like Hugh Grant films more than you do Sean Bean films (or if you're a girl you decide that you prefer you're hair short and spikey rather than long).
    I don't think anyone is born with a sexuality - it develops in time, puberty etc.

I started liking boys when I was about 12 I'd say. Didn't actual realise it, as in actual think "omg I actually am gay" until probably year 9. That's when it hit me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I don't think anyone is born with a sexuality - it develops in time, puberty etc.

I started liking boys when I was about 12 I'd say. Didn't actual realise it, as in actual think "omg I actually am gay" until probably year 9. That's when it hit me.
    What hit you? The Christmas edition of Mens Health?

ReputationRep:
    i reckon some people probably never know for sure!

i don't think anyone could possibly know for sure at 7 though! :eek:

i reckon you probably have a good idea after you've been thru adolescence and you're in your twenties.

ReputationRep:
    What hit you? The Christmas edition of Mens Health?
    :rolleyes: I shouldn't even dignify that with an answer, but..

just the fact that I was gay. It wasn't a very nice realisation, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I shouldn't even dignify that with an answer, but..

just the fact that I was gay. It wasn't a very nice realisation, to be honest.
    No I wouldnt think it is, you are now no longer qualified to read Nuts magazine, throw a kebab at someone or buy anything off the top shelves at newsagents.

Still look on the bright side, you get a discount on KY jelly..

ReputationRep:
    my friend knew when he was 12 but didn't come out until he was 13/14 for fear of being beaten up.

i have asked him all of these questions and he says you just know the same way you will know you are straight.

ReputationRep:
    Although you can't really 'know' until you start having sexual feelings for the opposite sex ie. puberty...maybe some people say they have always been gay because when they were young they fulfilled certain gay stereotypes. For example, the stereotype of young boys who are later gay disliking 'trucks' and preferring dolls, my uncle was always like that apparently. Although ur right you can't really know until a certain age!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was bi at the start of Y9, and knew by one year later, I made the mistake of coming out to a friend I thought would keep quiet but who told everyone I knew because I wanted to do things to my best friend lol.

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldnt think it is, you are now no longer qualified to read Nuts magazine, throw a kebab at someone or buy anything off the top shelves at newsagents.

Still look on the bright side, you get a discount on KY jelly..
    I prefer Durex Play, oh and I consider myself lucky to not be one of the unenlightened masses who reads Nuts magazine and plays football.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Durex Play, oh and I consider myself lucky to not be one of the unenlightened masses who reads Nuts magazine and plays football.

But Nuts magazine is great, if only for the little "Pub ammo" section at the back. Full of interesting facts and useful tips. Oh and occasionally pictures of a scantily clad Lucy Pinder in a provocative pose with Michelle Marsh. I'd do anything for her, I'd cut my own leg off.

ReputationRep:
    My gay mate says he knew for sure at about 13, but thinks he knew subconsciously all the time cos he never really found girls sexually attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Crow)
    My gay mate says he knew for sure at about 13, but thinks he knew subconsciously all the time cos he never really found girls sexually attractive.
    Are you talking about yourself there son? just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Unless you were a very early developer, I doubt this had anything to do with sexuality. You may have found the girls pretty, but I doubt there was any sense of sexuality there. Indeed heterosexuals are quite capable of finding members of the same gender good-looking, but in no way sexually attractive - for example I can recognise what I consider to be a good looking man, but there is no element of sexual attraction there - and homosexuals are equally capable of appreciating the good looks of members of the opposite sex.

I wouldn't say it's possible to know until puberty. Until then, a person is pretty much incapable of being sexually attracted to anyone, so no matter what gender the person you like is, they are really just a good friend.
    I wanted to have sex with a girl at 9.. and i am a late developer.

I mean, I wouldn't have gone through with it. But it is something I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it can be anything between 12-21, but most commonly the onset of puberty.

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about yourself there son? just out of interest?
    Actually no, i'm a girl and i'm straight.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.