OCR: HH&D: health statistics, why?! Watch

shizznitch
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey all

quick question, what is the importance and reasons for collecting health statistics?

thank you!

(and by HH&D i mean human health....)
thanx!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So you can follow disease patterns, look at what illnesses are more/less common in what sectors of the population and plan healthcare provision accordingly.
Just Grow up
Report 12 years ago
Reasons for collecting statistics
Make comparisons between populations at the same time
Make comparisons between populations at different time
Find out which diseases are important
Find new emerging diseases such as SARS
Inform policy making about providing resources in the health service
Find out how well government health policies are working
Investigate the spread of disease and investigate the likely causes.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah yes, how to answer A-level questions. Have forgetten how to do it so beautifully succinctly
Just Grow up
Report 12 years ago
I really don't know how to answer A-level bio questions, it seems doesn't matter how much I learnt and how hard I tried I got really bad grades.... Can anyone tell me how you revise for the exams?
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah, look at past papers :p: questions usually repeat following a defined sequence.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Biology isn't as hard as it seems.

For Essay Questions - The key is to literally write down every detail you know about the topic the question is examining. The mark schemes are extremely lenient. 23 marking points for 7 marks. They might as well be asking 'Tell us everything you know about ...............'

For other questions (3 or 4 markers) - If there is question which asks about a part of the specification loosely, don't write down your in the biological logic, but go straight for what they are 'hinting at'. Buzz Words are the key. For example, if they ask, 'Why is HIV/AIDS difficult to control?' - just write down 'symptom less carriers' - that will get you the mark - you need not demonstrate any logic or detail beyond that. They can't deny you the mark. In fact, if you remember most of the buzz words relating to that topic, just write all of them down. Never mind the ones that turn out to be wrong, they can't deduct marks for them.

Biology at AS is about learning the specification thoroughly and answering question 'creatively'.
Just Grow up
Report 12 years ago
Thanks a lot. That's very helpful...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (301)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (293)
25.37%