Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

quick question, what is the importance and reasons for collecting health statistics?

thank you!

(and by HH&D i mean human health....)
    thanx!

ReputationRep:
    So you can follow disease patterns, look at what illnesses are more/less common in what sectors of the population and plan healthcare provision accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Reasons for collecting statistics
    Make comparisons between populations at the same time
    Make comparisons between populations at different time
    Find out which diseases are important
    Find new emerging diseases such as SARS
    Inform policy making about providing resources in the health service
    Find out how well government health policies are working
    Investigate the spread of disease and investigate the likely causes.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, how to answer A-level questions. Have forgetten how to do it so beautifully succinctly

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know how to answer A-level bio questions, it seems doesn't matter how much I learnt and how hard I tried I got really bad grades.... Can anyone tell me how you revise for the exams?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, look at past papers :p: questions usually repeat following a defined sequence.

ReputationRep:
    Biology isn't as hard as it seems.

For Essay Questions - The key is to literally write down every detail you know about the topic the question is examining. The mark schemes are extremely lenient. 23 marking points for 7 marks. They might as well be asking 'Tell us everything you know about ...............'

For other questions (3 or 4 markers) - If there is question which asks about a part of the specification loosely, don't write down your in the biological logic, but go straight for what they are 'hinting at'. Buzz Words are the key. For example, if they ask, 'Why is HIV/AIDS difficult to control?' - just write down 'symptom less carriers' - that will get you the mark - you need not demonstrate any logic or detail beyond that. They can't deny you the mark. In fact, if you remember most of the buzz words relating to that topic, just write all of them down. Never mind the ones that turn out to be wrong, they can't deduct marks for them.

Biology at AS is about learning the specification thoroughly and answering question 'creatively'.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. That's very helpful...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.