Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i need a serious way to revise all of this stuff for A2.

theres so much... in unit PYA4 for example... 3 topics, and about 6-8 different essay questions per topic.

that means 20 essays to be able to write in total and only 3 will come up! and thats just unit 4.

So far im just writing essays and planning on learning them later by doing flow charts of each essay..

what do you guys think is a good way to get through all of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3.14159265)
    My attitude right now is - pray for a miracle?

I've just finished doing my summary notes and have highlighted them all. The worst thing is quotes, names and dates - my memory sucks.

The approach I'm trying to have an overabundance of flourescent colour all over my notes, which supposedly aids concentration. I also wanna try to do more practice essays without cheating and looking at notes
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Unit 4 is insanely annoying. At the moment I'm sort of summarising stuff. The practice essays will happen some point in the (nearish) future...I don't know if there is a good way of revising stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its difficult when THERES FRICKIN LOADS TO LEARN!!!

*ahem* - outburst over

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to learn the dates Nick! I actually only knew about 8 researchers' names before I went into PYA4 and got 100% so it's not about what you know so much, more how you write it. They don't care if you know who did it, more what they found. I didn't mention procedures once, and put 'researchers found' sooo many times.

3.14.... that's exactly what I did, in terms of just doing every essay, as painful as it is, then condensing it. You'll be fine, although I agree there is too much for unit 4. Remember you only have to learn altruism OR bystander, and formation OR maintenence. That helps slightly I guess...

I'm just counting on my previous UMS marks now *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    My Unit 4s are social cognition, relationships and cognitive development - which are all very annoying and complicated.

The worst is my chosen anxiety disorder though of OCD - I knew I shouldda done phobias cause theres so much more information on it, but I just had a real interest in OCD so...

And I know dates aren't needed, but if I can I try to learn them. I'll admit though at AS I had no actual dates, just used quotes and mentioned many theorists in evaluations etc and did very well. But then again, having that academic rigour I feel puts markers into a 'this persons good' state of mind immediately - which is always a plus in subjective marking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickb123)
    I know dates aren't needed, but if I can I try to learn them. I'll admit though at AS I had no actual dates, just used quotes and mentioned many theorists in evaluations etc and did very well. But then again, having that academic rigour I feel puts markers into a 'this persons good' state of mind immediately - which is always a plus in subjective marking
    Nick - I really wouldn't learn the dates, I am a mega perfectionist but even I don't learn those, there isn't really any point, all it does is give you more to learn. It may impress the examiner that you can remember all that but I doubt it'll give you any more marks, just more of a headache than A2 already gives!

ReputationRep:
    ive decided to just do all the essays first then condense them for revision.

has anyone ever tried recording yourself reading the notes and playing it back throughout the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3.14159265)
    i need a serious way to revise all of this stuff for A2.

theres so much... in unit PYA4 for example... 3 topics, and about 6-8 different essay questions per topic.

that means 20 essays to be able to write in total and only 3 will come up! and thats just unit 4.

So far im just writing essays and planning on learning them later by doing flow charts of each essay..

When I was revising for Unit 4, I just made a revision note setting out any possible essays that could come up. I wouldn't advise it, but I took a bit of a gamble by checking trends of past exams to eliminate certain essays that had come up in the last exam so I could spend more time on those elusive questions. It paid off, mostly, although I did revise more for an essay that didn't come up. I'd recommend this approach if you run out of time.

If anyone wants some revision notes, I have them on: Social Cognition, Relationships, Brain and Behaviour and Biological Rhythms, Sleep and Dreaming. If you're interested, just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to rub salt into people's wounds righ tnow but..........im so flipping happy that my school always force us to a do a module in january we did PYA4 and is was soooo stressful and difficult to learn everything then....so i would hate to have to do PYA4,AND 5! EEEKKKK PYA5 is a bit more straightforward.its more argument based and you dont have to rely so much on regurgtation of reserachers,dats blah blah blah.

anyway in january i basically planned all the possible essay questions, then like a week before our teacher basically told us which ones she thought are more likely to come up.......so i just gave up and started learning those.it paid of iin two of the three essays the third im still fuming about! anyway hope ur revision goes better than mine is at the moment
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would have happily done PYA 4 in January! Wouldn't be so crazy now but we hadn't even finished our third topic when the exams were happening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoea85)
    Nick - I really wouldn't learn the dates, I am a mega perfectionist but even I don't learn those, there isn't really any point, all it does is give you more to learn. It may impress the examiner that you can remember all that but I doubt it'll give you any more marks, just more of a headache than A2 already gives!
    I like to know them though cause I always quote theorists in my essays so its nice to have them. And its not that much to learn really and if I don't remember them it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fried_brain)
    sorry to rub salt into people's wounds righ tnow but..........im so flipping happy that my school always force us to a do a module in january we did PYA4 and is was soooo stressful and difficult to learn everything then....so i would hate to have to do PYA4,AND 5! EEEKKKK PYA5 is a bit more straightforward.its more argument based and you dont have to rely so much on regurgtation of reserachers,dats blah blah blah.

anyway in january i basically planned all the possible essay questions, then like a week before our teacher basically told us which ones she thought are more likely to come up.......so i just gave up and started learning those.it paid of iin two of the three essays the third im still fuming about! anyway hope ur revision goes better than mine is at the moment
    I know! I wish they had let us do PYA4 in Jan instead of in the summer, like my other subjects did. Do you remember what questions came up in jan for any of the cognitive development biorhythms and pro and anti social behaviour questions? It would be useful to be able to add it to my list of past questions, even though I know you shouldn't predict on Paper 4, I always like to have a stab at it just so as I can have a few essays I have focused on very well.

ReputationRep:
    Pro and anti-social behaviour was about 2 explanations of anti-social behaviour. Didn't do the others im afraid!

Yeah I'm also very glad they made us enter early, coz now i've done the cwk i've only got PYA5 left in the summer. But I do sympathise with you guys still having to do it - it's a poo!

ReputationRep:
    ahem!

ReputationRep:
    I did PYA4 in jan and messed it up..

I HATE PSYCHOLOGY...stupid school making me do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    You don't have to learn the dates

.... Remember you only have to learn altruism OR bystander, and formation OR maintenence. That helps slightly I guess...
    Are you sure we dont need to know dates... my stupid teachers keep telling us how important it is to know the dates.

and one mroe thing,, i think its excellent that we only need to know alturism or bystander.. even though i dont know them yet .

ReputationRep:
    WE only need to know either??? man ur a star.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't know that....still gonna learn both..maybe learn bystander more than altruism....

ReputationRep:
    i dnt know anything about bystander or alturism yet, which is better/easier for coming up with more A01 and A02 points?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.