Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Luxury Sedans/Suv's watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I want to get a car in the states, there are some factors i'm looking at, I want a luxury motor, not maybach style or rolls royce obviously but bentley is nice, but the problem is they take 3 months to make! And I think orders from the states take even longer. So I'm thinking of what car to get that won't take too long, I'm looking into SUV's and sedans. I don't like the small 7 inch lcd's but I was thinking if there is a motor with the ability to have those fold up/out tables to put the laptop on, in the back seats rather than using the lcd's, they have it on the bentley flying spur but it seems quite small. I don't want a two seater although my partner wanted one but I need to have loads of space for quite a lot of equipment.

Also I'm not too sure about american manufacturers, and seeming as I am going to the states for a while, I wanted to have the whole british thing going.

ReputationRep:
    *title changed*

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go with an American car for luxury. American cars are all about cheap thrills.

ReputationRep:
    ive just come back from america (new york) majority of the people there drive bmw 7 series, merc s500's, audi a8's and you see quite a few chrysler 300c's, in terms of suv's - cadillac escalade is one of the most common as is the lincoln navigator, or you could always have a range rover

american manufacturers are generally not as good as european/japanese so it may be best to stick to german (bmw/merc/audi) my personal recommendation would be the audi a8, i believe the long wheel base version has tonnes of room in the back as well as fold down desk etc.. (if your loaded the 6.0 w12 :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, for luxury, I'd definitely go German.

ReputationRep:
    GM are in real trouble at the moment. The Europeans and Japs take great to ensure things like switches have a nice feel to them, where as the Americans just load their cars with toys without paying attention to the quality of metals and plastics use.

They also seem to just drill bigger bores to get more power where as we tend to use clever technology to get the same performance out of a small and more efficient engine.

The Cadiliac Sevile was a major flop in the UK market because of this.

ReputationRep:
    Sweet, I think the range rover sport kind of kicks the american SUV's out of the question, I don't think they make the best usage of their large engines. I definately don't want plastics, they are tacky, and I heard the A8's make use of plastics in the interior. Yeah as AT82 said about the engines, we get more power out of something smaller.
    I like the phaeton, i think that is what you were referring to @ the W12, I will check out the A8 again, it might sound stupid but that fold down desk/table is really really important. Also I don't and can't wait long for delivery, like the bentley takes 3 months to have it made to the specifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix CG)
    Sweet, I think the range rover sport kind of kicks the american SUV's out of the question, I don't think they make the best usage of their large engines. I definately don't want plastics, they are tacky, and I heard the A8's make use of plastics in the interior. Yeah as AT82 said about the engines, we get more power out of something smaller.
    I like the phaeton, i think that is what you were referring to @ the W12, I will check out the A8 again, it might sound stupid but that fold down desk/table is really really important. Also I don't and can't wait long for delivery, like the bentley takes 3 months to have it made to the specifications.
    Are you taking the piss or how do you afford such an expensive car?

ReputationRep:
    No i'm not, and that's not your business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix CG)
    No i'm not, and that's not your business.
    It is my business if you're wasting everybody's time...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, Well I'm not, I said I'm not, and I'm asking genuinely. Got nothing to add, then move along. And I said it was none of your business, at your question "how do you afford such an expensive car?" And that, frankly, is none of your business.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to engine size and how you define efficiency:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=37

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    With regards to engine size and how you define efficiency:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=37
    I see, as long as it produces loads of torque and has a good power to weight ratio. This might sound crazy but the guy at the showroom told me, the bentley does 80mph at 2000rpm! because it produces loads of torque. It was unbelievable but I guess i gotta take his word for it lol.

ReputationRep:
    just a few things:

It needs to be pretty big, thats why I was thinking about an SUV, loads of rear space, it also needs to be pretty fast, because I do have the urge to put my foot down. The bentley does 195mph, so that does satisfy more than needed.

First thing I need to decide is SUV or Sedan, I know my partner will probably say its up to you lol, or hint at a two seater again which is just not feasible for the equipment I need to carry. Really need some help, I've been arguing with myself for so long, I thought I reached an agreement with myself, until I looked at the competition again. It's so tough.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for a Range Rover Sport (but, there again, i'm somewhat biased). 400 horsepower supercharged engine will be enough for most people, but if you're feeling really extravagant, then Overfinch will build you a 500 horsepower monster. Having driven one, they are very nice on the road and the driving position is very sports car like. Oh, and they're actually built of quality materials too....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go Overfinch. That's what I'd do for a fast SUV that is also really nice. If you just want fast, you can get a Lingenfelter built Escalade with over 700hp. Or a Hummer with the same power. Can you imagine pulling away from a Ferrari, flat-out in a Hummer?!?!? But the Range Rover Sport will still be nicer IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I really like the range rover, but I'm not sure if it would have the equipment i need, the range rover sport doesn't really need anymore engine power for me, i think 140mph is enough, plus i heard the tires will burst from top gear if it goes above.

I guess i'll just go to the show rooms and state exactly what I need.
    Audi, BMW, Bentley, Land Rover, Mercedes, Volkswagon. Quite a lot of manufacturers, prefer one that can be delivered quickly, loads of room and that fold out desk, is absolutely essential, with enough power.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a A8 W12 - it's the car that's in Transporter 2.

Basically a Phaeton with an Audi badge on it...

My pick would be the North American Mercedes R-class. 6-seater luxury MPV (looks a bit like an S-class estate).

ReputationRep:
    Well I am using elimination , The audis are like BMW's but not quite there, so I thought scrap the Audi then, but then I believe the A8 does beat the 7 series, and I think the 7 series is quite ugly.
    Then the Land Rover Range Rover Sport, that is very nice, although when I read it did 130mph, instead of 140mph, it made me grumble. Now volkswagon, the image is not quite nice, neither do I like its styling, although they do manufacture the bentleys. The mercedes S class is very nice, although i'm not a great fan of the exterior styling I would like to see the size/space of the vehicle.

Right now though, I'm still thinking of the bentley continental flying spur, but having it modified, it will take longer, but it just seems like the car I wouldn't regret buying. I want it to have the "look he's british" kind of thing, so I am considering having a right hand drive one being exported.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need an SUV, do you live on a farm?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 10, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.